Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='bigthumb' post='680465' date='Dec 10 2009, 06:03 PM']Looks like an SQ series, if not then an 'A'.

Lovely bass all the same.[/quote]

Its an A. Was mine, Cracking bass but i fear P's just arnt for me :)

Alas, I now have one with the J at the back and LOVE it. Although im worried the P pickup may need some work on it as the G and D strings are almost twice as loud as the other two at the moment :\

• 5 weeks later...

After reading through this thread, I think I know what my next bass is gonna be... I know I won't ever be able to love anything more than the Jazz, but a P-bass seems essential for playing a wider range of music. Any recommendations for my next Fender? If the MIJ P-bass is as awesome as all the other MIJ instruments I own, I think I might look for one. I'm not up to scratch with Fender's recent quality control, I heard that 08-09 models were awful?

[quote name='deathpanda' post='707356' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:02 AM']l, I heard that 08-09 models were awful?[/quote]

Quite the opposite, in my opinion. My Am Std is very well put together. Plus these now have better bridges and lighter tuners.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='chris_b' post='207091' date='May 27 2008, 09:09 AM']I think it's interesting that 50 years on Fender basses from all decades are still held in such high regard. I love the Precision bass, why anyone would want to play a jazz beats me!!
It's interesting that in the US, when they could have used anything, so many "First Call" studio players, the guys that created the records that form the foundation of popular music, chose the Precision; Carol Kaye, David Hood, Duck Dunn, Tommy Cogbill, Bob Babbett, James Jamerson, etc.
It seems that many of the producers and engineers demanded that the studio players used Fender and I've seen several pictures of "Studio" basses in Nashville, LA and New York and they've all been Precisions.
What's the betting that in another 50 years the Precision will still be with us?[/quote]
The trouble with that (correct) argument is that it really only was P-basses around at the time!

[quote name='merello' post='707381' date='Jan 10 2010, 09:19 AM']The trouble with that (correct) argument is that it really only was P-basses around at the time![/quote]

Production began on Rickenbackers back in 1957. Gibson had 2 EB basses by the end of the fifties and a lot of choices come the early 60s, as with several other makers too. So bearing in mind most of those bassists classic recordings were done in the 1960s I don't think it's quite so straight forward. I think there is more choice and better quality across the boards these days if that is what you mean but to say that Fender Precision was the only choice doesn't quite seem right.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='707720' date='Jan 10 2010, 02:44 PM']Production began on Rickenbackers back in 1957. Gibson had 2 EB basses by the end of the fifties and a lot of choices come the early 60s, as with several other makers too. So bearing in mind most of those bassists classic recordings were done in the 1960s I don't think it's quite so straight forward. I think there is more choice and better quality across the boards these days if that is what you mean but to say that Fender Precision was the only choice doesn't quite seem right.[/quote]
Yes, Danelectro, Guild, and Gretsch too ... and of course Hofner ... and of course the Fender Jazz

Here's my two:

The very first bass I ever owned (and still do), an all original '62, that my dad bought for me back in '75:

And the latest bass in my armoury, a '72:

I've had acquired many basses inbetween (still have many of them) but I do love the P Bass

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='merello' post='707381' date='Jan 10 2010, 09:19 AM']....The trouble with that (correct) argument is that it really only was P-basses around at the time!....[/quote]
I was really referring to the 60's and 70's, when the players I mentioned were active. The Jazz bass was an option at that time but so many A list players, who could have chosen it kept their Precision basses instead.

I acquired a Fender Precision MIJ yesterday after purchasing it from oldslapper from the forums. I'm not sure about the date yet, but I'm finding out. The neck is from a '50's reissue P-bass and it's gorgeous.

[url="http://img109.imageshack.us/i/p1170310.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://img25.imageshack.us/i/p1170308.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://img163.imageshack.us/i/p1170317o.jpg/"][/url]

[url="http://img190.imageshack.us/i/p1170311.jpg/"][/url]

[quote name='alanbass1' post='707796' date='Jan 10 2010, 04:01 PM']Here's my two:

The very first bass I ever owned (and still do), an all original '62, that my dad bought for me back in '75:

And the latest bass in my armoury, a '72:

I've had acquired many basses inbetween (still have many of them) but I do love the P Bass[/quote]

What is your address, when will you be out, and do you leave a spare key under the doormat?

Very nice though, I must say. I love P basses, and the one that gets the most playing time is my'79. Not the best build quality, but the tone, playability and charachter is quite amazing.

Here's mine:

I've had a few Precisions, including a '78, a new P5, a MIJ Fender, a MIM Fender, and now this early 90s MIJ Squier, and I have to say, apart from maybe the P5, this one is the best of the lot. It's brilliant.

Now that we're already on the 11th page of effusive praise, I'd just like to observe that the power of branding is alive and kicking in the 21st century. A thousand pounds for a simple bit of wood and wire - just because it's made in the USA. Nothing wrong with the P-bass but it has less technology in it than a five quid box of Lego. They should be selling for about £250.

What's the difference between a Squier and a made-in USA? Well, the Squier pickups I've measured (I've only measured half a dozen) were all underwound, and would produce a thin sound whatever you fitted them to. Funny that. (Yes, I know that's not conclusive, but I found it quite interesting).

Branding. Market differentiation. Image. That's what Fender is all about. The Japanese showed 25 years ago that they could whip Fender's butt as far as product quality, consistency and price are concerned, but Fender had - and still has - the image. And that''s what people are buying when they buy Fender. Think Starbucks, Gucci, American beer.

I thought you might appreciate a different perspective.

Edited by stevie

The pre 2008/09 (2000 onwards) USA Fender's were overpriced and I had the misfortune to have a dog of a Jazz about 6 years ago that went STRAIGHT BACK.

There are of course some excellent S1 switching models around though.

Im bowled over by the new Fenders...they are fantastic.

Edited by Musicman20