Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='lojo' post='819918' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:47 PM']Cheers guys, food for thought

I really want this bass, can afford it and would keep it forever ...........

However, as you say, it would be to nice and pricey to take to many places

Which is why at present I only play my perfect mapleglo Ric in the church, and gig my MIM P in front of the party booze drinkers[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean, lojo...

I'm playing my Road Worn Jazz - "Can I have a go on your bass, Mister?"............ "Yeah, sure!"

I'm playing my AV 62 or one of the Status basses - "Can I have a go on your bass, Mister?"............ "What part of **** *** don't you understand?!" :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='819929' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:52 PM']I know exactly what you mean, lojo...

I'm playing my Road Worn Jazz - "Can I have a go on your bass, Mister?"............ "Yeah, sure!"

I'm playing my AV 62 or one of the Status basses - "Can I have a go on your bass, Mister?"............ "What part of **** *** don't you understand?!" :)[/quote]

Ha, yes, and its worse for the drummer!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='819929' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:52 PM']I know exactly what you mean, lojo...

I'm playing my AV 62 or one of the Status basses - "Can I have a go on your bass, Mister?"............ "What part of **** *** don't you understand?!" :)[/quote]

That's why I have a MIJ 62RI rat bass and a rat amp too. For those gigs where that is a very likely event.

I'm selling a Rickenbacker 4003 to get a P Bass. I haven't had chance to play one yet, but from what I've heard, they are the mutts nuts.
The Rickenbacker doesn't quite get the sound that I want. I'm after a really low driving sound that you can feel, rather than the signature Ricky sound.
Do you think a P is the right way to go?

[quote name='coop1985' post='820697' date='Apr 27 2010, 02:51 PM']I'm selling a Rickenbacker 4003 to get a P Bass. I haven't had chance to play one yet, but from what I've heard, they are the mutts nuts.
The Rickenbacker doesn't quite get the sound that I want. I'm after a really low driving sound that you can feel, rather than the signature Ricky sound.
Do you think a P is the right way to go?[/quote]

It was for Paul Simenon. They fit the bill for low and driving in my opinion.
I'd still suggest having a go on one first though. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder and all that.

I could write about this ad nausem as my favourite bases at this moment are my Rickenbacker and my Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision. I'll write a bit more once my dissertation is finished but I love them both. The Rickenbacker is harder to play, the neck is huge and body hurts your arm, while the tone can be enormously satisfying at times.

However, I'm finding at the moment my P is just much more fun to play and noodle on. The neck is so easy to navigate and with flats, the tone is exquisite. It's deep, throating and drives the music along. It's making me want an American Vintage '62 as Rich knows but I'm upgrading mine with a new pickup and electronics for the meanwhile. It plays like butter!

[quote name='faceman' post='820732' date='Apr 27 2010, 03:29 PM']I could write about this ad nausem as my favourite bases at this moment are my Rickenbacker and my Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision. I'll write a bit more once my dissertation is finished but I love them both. The Rickenbacker is harder to play, the neck is huge and body hurts your arm, while the tone can be enormously satisfying at times.

However, I'm finding at the moment my P is just much more fun to play and noodle on. The neck is so easy to navigate and with flats, the tone is exquisite. It's deep, throating and drives the music along. It's making me want an American Vintage '62 as Rich knows but I'm upgrading mine with a new pickup and electronics for the meanwhile. It plays like butter![/quote]

Funny you should say that - I keep thinking of the Fiesta Red Squier with a Nordstrand pickup and some Thomastik flats as a Pino on the cheap :)

[quote name='coop1985' post='820697' date='Apr 27 2010, 02:51 PM']I'm selling a Rickenbacker 4003 to get a P Bass. I haven't had chance to play one yet, but from what I've heard, they are the mutts nuts.
Do you think a P is the right way to go?[/quote]

I love the look of Rics but they just don't fit me. (er any more :)) So every time I play one the GAS goes away. Certainly don't sell your Ric before strapping on a few P basses .. It coud be a dreadful mistake.

Paul Mccartney got a pretty good low driving sound out of his Ric.

[quote name='coop1985' post='821603' date='Apr 28 2010, 10:19 AM']I don't know if it's the amp i'm using, (Ashdown EVO II 500 C210 with 115 extension cab) but I just can't get the sound that I want.
My old Epi T-Bird and Peavey TNT150 seems to do the job better for me but I want to upgrade.[/quote]

You're amp is definitely the problem. If you buy my Trace combo it'll be solved and make you more attractive to women too :)

Seriously though. Don't underestimate the affect different strings can have on your sound. Maybe a different brand or a set of flats if you're using rounds.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='821616' date='Apr 28 2010, 10:32 AM']You're amp is definitely the problem. If you buy my Trace combo it'll be solved and make you more attractive to women too :)

Seriously though. Don't underestimate the affect different strings can have on your sound. Maybe a different brand or a set of flats if you're using rounds.[/quote]

I feel like it's too much hard work in a way. Especially when I plugged the T-bird in an old amp and it was exactly the sound I want!
I don't want to sell the Ricky!! I love her... but I suppose, like a woman, if she doesn't put out, then you have to get rid!! lol

After stupidly selling my red Fender P5 deluxe last year i have been looking out for a replacement,and finally bought this one last week on the ebay..i took a chance on not seeing or playing it before buying but had a good result,

Its just great,looks good,weighs only 9lbs 4ozs..and a big bonus,the neck is slightly slimmer than the last one,and the B string is good.

I have used it at one gig and a couple rehearsals and am very pleased with it.

Edited by bassmanady

[quote name='coop1985' post='821627' date='Apr 28 2010, 10:45 AM']I feel like it's too much hard work in a way. Especially when I plugged the T-bird in an old amp and it was exactly the sound I want!
I don't want to sell the Ricky!! I love her... but I suppose, like a woman, if she doesn't put out, then you have to get rid!! lol[/quote]

To add my tuppence worth, I used Peavey 1x15 combos for years and always liked the sound - I even bought another ancient one for rock pub gigs.
However me and Ashdown just don't work. Maybe you are the same.

and ... If yo' woman don't put out, man, you ain't treating her right.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='bassmanady' post='822566' date='Apr 28 2010, 11:25 PM']After stupidly selling my red Fender P5 deluxe last year i have been looking out for a replacement,and finally bought this one last week on the ebay..i took a chance on not seeing or playing it before buying but had a good result,

Its just great,looks good,weighs only 9lbs 4ozs..and a big bonus,the neck is slightly slimmer than the last one,and the B string is good.

I have used it at one gig and a couple rehearsals and am very pleased with it.[/quote]

Congrats, Andy - Looks like a nice find :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='821778' date='Apr 28 2010, 12:41 PM']How bigger difference have the Dimarzios made, Johnny?[/quote]
Like a different instrument mate - great string to string balance, strong tone right across the register, louder than the active Spector which overdrives the DHA nicely and, of course - they're cream, which is like a go-faster stripe.

Stock pickup & electrics went in the bin.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='822662' date='Apr 29 2010, 08:41 AM']Like a different instrument mate - great string to string balance, strong tone right across the register, louder than the active Spector which overdrives the DHA nicely and, of course - they're cream, which is like a go-faster stripe.

Stock pickup & electrics went in the bin.[/quote]

Yep, cream is good :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken me ages to find this thread! I just wanted to share a few images I snapped on my phone yesterday evening. My 1978 all original Mocha, My 1989 MIJ (with replaced CIJ neck) tobacco sunburst and my 2006 orange anniversary model. I also own the 51RI but didn't have a 4th stand to put it on! Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone thought the collection lacked maple (my 89 P-bass was maple until Wednesday).

[quote name='bassmanady' post='822566' date='Apr 28 2010, 11:25 PM']After stupidly selling my red Fender P5 deluxe last year i have been looking out for a replacement,and finally bought this one last week on the ebay..i took a chance on not seeing or playing it before buying but had a good result,

I have used it at one gig and a couple rehearsals and am very pleased with it.[/quote]

Oh god I had one of those in butterscotch blonde with a red-tort scratch plate and maple fingerboard ....I'd trade all my gear to get that one bass back :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='838176' date='May 15 2010, 02:58 PM']It's taken me ages to find this thread! I just wanted to share a few images I snapped on my phone yesterday evening. My 1978 all original Mocha, My 1989 MIJ (with replaced CIJ neck) tobacco sunburst and my 2006 orange anniversary model. I also own the 51RI but didn't have a 4th stand to put it on! Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone thought the collection lacked maple (my 89 P-bass was maple until Wednesday).[/quote]

Nice

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='838231' date='May 15 2010, 04:23 PM']Precisions are fantastic... when they have a proper place to rest your right thumb! :)

[/quote]

... and to prove what a complete t1t I am, today I go and buy a Squier CV P that doesn't have somewhere proper to rest my thumb; looks like I'll be modding my latest acquisition and selling the USA! :rolleyes: