Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='stevie' post='717128' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:02 PM']Now that we're already on the 11th page of effusive praise, I'd just like to observe that the power of branding is alive and kicking in the 21st century. A thousand pounds for a simple bit of wood and wire - just because it's made in the USA. Nothing wrong with the P-bass but it has less technology in it than a five quid box of Lego. They should be selling for about £250.

What's the difference between a Squier and a made-in USA? Well, the Squier pickups I've measured (I've only measured half a dozen) were all underwound, and would produce a thin sound whatever you fitted them to. Funny that. (Yes, I know that's not conclusive, but I found it quite interesting).

Branding. Market differentiation. Image. That's what Fender is all about. The Japanese showed 25 years ago that they could whip Fender's butt as far as product quality, consistency and price are concerned, but Fender had - and still has - the image. And that''s what people are buying when they buy Fender. Think Starbucks, Gucci, American beer.

I thought you might appreciate a different perspective.[/quote]

I took it to mean "Precisions" of any parentage rather than just branded Fender ones.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='717474' date='Jan 19 2010, 08:33 AM']I always wanted a P with a J neck, but they always seemed to do versions the other way around.[/quote]
Mark Hoppus has a jazz body with a P-bass neck but Duff McKagen:
Based on the instrument he has used ever since the first GNR album, the Duff McKagan Signature model is a distinctive, sleek and full-sounding reissue of the '80s-era Jazz Bass® Special, which combined a Precision Bass® body with a Jazz Bass neck and a set of Precision and Jazz Bass pickups. That's all here, with a Pearl White finish, gloss-black neck and headstock, TBX circuit (treble/bass cut), black hardware and custom skull-engraved neck plate. There is no other Fender bass in the line right now with this look, feel or sound.

[quote name='merello' post='719340' date='Jan 20 2010, 05:52 PM']Mark Hoppus has a jazz body with a P-bass neck but Duff McKagen:
Based on the instrument he has used ever since the first GNR album, the Duff McKagan Signature model is a distinctive, sleek and full-sounding reissue of the '80s-era Jazz Bass® Special, which combined a Precision Bass® body with a Jazz Bass neck and a set of Precision and Jazz Bass pickups. That's all here, with a Pearl White finish, gloss-black neck and headstock, TBX circuit (treble/bass cut), black hardware and custom skull-engraved neck plate. There is no other Fender bass in the line right now with this look, feel or sound.[/quote]

Woah! that was weird. Thought Crazykiwi had reverted to his old Avatar for sec then ..

There's plenty of variation on the neck width of p basses. Even the early ones came in A, B or C profile with A being relatively slim and C being being flat and wide. About 42mm at the nut..

[quote name='OldGit' post='719355' date='Jan 20 2010, 05:58 PM']Woah! that was weird. Thought Crazykiwi had reverted to his old Avatar for sec then ..

There's plenty of variation on the neck width of p basses. Even the early ones came in A, B or C profile with A being relatively slim and C being being flat and wide. About 42mm at the nut..[/quote]
Or...
[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0135760359"]http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0135760359[/url]

For bassists who dig today’s active lifestyle, Fender offers the stylish and thunderous Deluxe Series Active P Bass Special guitar.

This huge-sounding hybrid model features an alder body adorned with a single-ply beveled gold vinyl pickguard and a maple Jazz Bass guitar neck (modern C shape) with a 20-fret, 9.5”-radius rosewood or maple fingerboard. On board are a standard alnico split single-coil Precision Bass pickup (middle) and a dual-coil ceramic Noiseless™ Jazz Bass pickup with nickel-plated pole pieces (bridge) with pan-pot switching.

Controls are master volume, pan, and three-band active EQ with treble boost/cut (+/- 10 db at 8kHz, a shift in the cut frequency, and about a 2dB slope per octave), mid boost/cut (+10dB, -15dB at 500Hz, and a wide band slope) and bass boost/cut (+/- 12db at 40Hz, with a 4dB slope per octave). Other features include chrome hardware, American Vintage Precision Bass bridge, side-mounted jack and deluxe gig bag. Truly an amazing instrument.

I have had mixed views with the precision bass,had a couple but never held on to them for long I always lusted after the Rickenbacker 4001 / 4003. That being said my girlfriend bought me a 1989 Squier precision ( Korean made ) and I do like that bass a lot. This has led me to want either a MIM OR HW1 precision,there is something about them & even though many of us leave them for other basses they still draw us back.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='717615' date='Jan 19 2010, 11:21 AM']How does it sound, does the J neck make a difference?[/quote]

It's got a brutal 24k Dimarzio on it and a maple body so direct comparisons are not possible. Sounds beefy but not got as much growly zing (technical term) as the other one.
I find the Jazz neck feels a bit too skinny for my agricultural style. I find it more tiring to play on the left hand too. Even though I'm not blessed with large mitts.

I'm definitly more of a Jazz Bass guy! And as a result, when I put together a Precision for myself (everyone has to have one), I fitted it with a Jazz neck. Strangely I didn't get on with it too well, can't explain it!
Traded that for a Japanese Squier Precision with a P neck, and it's real comfortable. Wider than my Jazzes obviously, but still very playable for me!
Quite odd!

Oh and the (ongoing) record, my S1 American Jazz has never been beaten........by anything :)

Si

• 3 weeks later...

I can't stand the P-bass, I love the vintage legacy en all but the sound is woolly, clanky at times and I just hear my finger squeaking and beating on the strings. Has a really boxey sound and it doesn't stand out whatsoever. I prefer something with a hell of a lot more drive - to my tastes bass should be as loud as guitar. I loathe being called the quiet one, if I played one of these I would never get noticed.

The neck doesn't feel too bad, but it decreasing speed of playing massively! I also prefer resting my thumb on the edge of a soapbar on a four, as an anchor, instead of a screw. I dont like the look either unless its sunburst, tort and rosewood (has to be rosewood!! or it sounds too thin) with ashtrays. I'd buy a 62 RI cos of the look when its slung low, but i'd end up selling it due to the weak sound. The PJ configuration sounds a lil better but again too wooly. Overrated massively, can get that sound on many a bass.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='740542' date='Feb 10 2010, 01:22 AM']I can't stand the P-bass, I love the vintage legacy en all but the sound is woolly, clanky at times and I just hear my finger squeaking and beating on the strings. Has a really boxey sound and it doesn't stand out whatsoever. I prefer something with a hell of a lot more drive - to my tastes bass should be as loud as guitar. I loathe being called the quiet one, if I played one of these I would never get noticed.

The neck doesn't feel too bad, but it decreasing speed of playing massively! I also prefer resting my thumb on the edge of a soapbar on a four, as an anchor, instead of a screw. I dont like the look either unless its sunburst, tort and rosewood (has to be rosewood!! or it sounds too thin) with ashtrays. I'd buy a 62 RI cos of the look when its slung low, but i'd end up selling it due to the weak sound. The PJ configuration sounds a lil better but again too wooly. Overrated massively, can get that sound on many a bass.
- Worried of Carlisle/Cardiff[/quote]

Dear Worried of Carlisle/Cardiff,
Firstly:
[attachment=42294:Dont_Panic.jpg]
It is perfectly normal to dislike Precision basses. Your feelings of guilt and inadequacy are also understandable and nothing to worry about.
No, really!
I suggest you avoid contact with Precisions at all costs , especially ones with non-Fender pickups, as the risk of your trying one you actually like is very high.
You should also avoid seeing any bands with a Precision bass in them. This includes live, on TV or video. You can get a list of monasteries [url="http://www.benedictines.org.uk/abbeys/index.htm"]here[/url]

:)

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='205768' date='May 24 2008, 10:48 PM']Given that the P-Bass has been around for 50+ years does anyone in the world of BassChat disagree with this sentiment that, whatever your 'vibe' that the P-Bass will deliver...?[/quote]

I do NOT disagree. Ooh yeah.

I can dig 'em
[url="http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/?action=view&current=1960Pbass.jpg"][/url][url="http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/?action=view&current=73Pbass.jpg"][/url][url="http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/gregguitars/?action=view&current=1948PBass001.jpg"][/url]

[quote name='WarPig' post='740625' date='Feb 10 2010, 08:51 AM']Unlined?

:)[/quote]

Is unlined a real word...? :rolleyes: If so, then yes I meant 'unlined' :lol: It'd be interesting to know how many were made by Fender, or what years they were for sale. You just don't see them very often.