Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='peteb' post='672659' date='Dec 2 2009, 11:25 PM']However the do have faults that many here seem to celebrate for some reason: crap bridge that needs replacing, missing fret, poor access to upper register and not to mention those ridiculous ash tray things that get in the way of your right hand and make changing a string a major chore! For some strange reason there are still some people who insist on keeping these – why??[/quote]

crap bridge that needs replacing: answer = seems to me to work fine but replace it if you want to.

missing fret: answer = what missing fret? I've never needed another fret.

poor access to upper register: answer = I don't go anywhere near the upper register anyway, I leave that to the other instruments.

those ridiculous ash tray things that get in the way of your right hand and make changing a string a major chore: answer = put some flats on and then don't change them.

Sorted.

[quote name='peteb' post='672659' date='Dec 2 2009, 11:25 PM']and not to mention those ridiculous ash tray things that get in the way of your right hand and make changing a string a major chore! For some strange reason there are still some people who insist on keeping these – why??[/quote]

Because their shiny! :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='674402' date='Dec 4 2009, 06:07 PM']I need to keep up, I thought she was in the Halo Friendlies[/quote]

Ahhhh, the Pumpkins. My favourite band of all time. Three bass players in their time, all female, all different, all fit, and all P-Bass players. Splendid.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='675357' date='Dec 6 2009, 12:28 AM']My three boys together...
With these basses, i can do anything.

2007 Mexi Classic 50's Precision White Blonde.
1983 'SQ' Prefix Squier Japan Precision (Badass II Bridge) 3 Colour Sunburst.
2007 Japan PB62 in Old Lake Placid Blue.[/quote]

Great looking basses Andy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='674169' date='Dec 4 2009, 01:54 PM']Here's another great pic of a Precision. And Ginger Reyes from Smashing Pumpkins... :wub:

[/quote]

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder...

I can't think of any better way of showing how clunky, clumsy and awkward the P bass looks.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='674169' date='Dec 4 2009, 01:54 PM']Here's another great pic of a Precision. And Ginger Reyes from Smashing Pumpkins... :wub:

[/quote]

I met her back in 2003 maybe? At Mean Fiddler Halo Friendlies were supporting No Use for a Name. I got their album signed somewhere, she is more than fine.
I think I just faded out for a moment remembering her being in a sweaty punk rock band and being so hot!

[quote name='Spoombung' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:23 PM' post='672587']
When I was learning bass in the 70's it was always the guitarists who would say "you need a Fender Precision" and whenever I went out to a pub to see a band the bassist would usually have one - that or or a Rick. Jazz basses were rarer. So I will forever associate Fender Precisions with PUB ROCK, leather jackets and power chords... and I suppose treat them with indifference.

My favourite P-bass player will always be Colin Hodgkinson

Great tip, thanks, would love to go and see him play.

Here's the '85 Japanese Precision that I just aquired :)
Ex Mythste & Bassassin

[url="http://img709.imageshack.us/i/fullfrontz.jpg/"][/url]

Very happy with it so far, needs a setup and some new strings....trying to decide between Round or Flats!
But it's my first proper P (that isn't a parts bass with a Jazz neck haha), so am looking forward to delving into it!

Si