Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

Jamerson flats are like bridge cables. Chromes have pretty high tension too. If it's the tension you didn't get on with, try out some Pyramid Golds (medium tension) or TI jazz flats (floppy like spaghetti). For old-skool fingerstyle thump like on the old Motown and funk records, a P with flats is IT. I want another (hopefully 5 string) P for more agressive rock stuff though.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='671232' date='Dec 1 2009, 04:05 PM']Jamerson flats are like bridge cables. Chromes have pretty high tension too. If it's the tension you didn't get on with, try out some Pyramid Golds (medium tension) or TI jazz flats (floppy like spaghetti). For old-skool fingerstyle thump like on the old Motown and funk records, a P with flats is IT. I want another (hopefully 5 string) P for more agressive rock stuff though.[/quote]

Mine has TI flats but i'm not sure which type (E is Big and rest are quite normal gauge) but they sound oooo smoooth and then I have rotosound RS77 on my EB3 and they are like rounds the way they ring.

I had my first Precision when I was 16. It was a '75 and I traded it for a Stingray in 1994. I used Stingrays as a main bass for about 10 years, then moved on to a Warwick Thumb and Streamer and then one day I saw a 1978 sunburst in a music shop, tried it and was completely hooked again. I've owned loads of different makes of basses, too many to remember but the Precision just 'dose it' with no fuss or mess. It cuts through perfectly, I hear every note and so dose everybody else. I still love fancy modern basses with exotic woods and electronics and I hope to own many of them but there will always be an ol plank nearby.

My '73 now strung with TI flats.... perfect!

I played a Fender '78 for a few years having got swapped from a thin, fast Ibanez SR something with active pick ups. The Ibanez was much easier to play, had more sounds, not all of them good I should add, and was a fair price.

The P sounded better.

Recently got back to playing and got a Jazz bass, Lakland DJ model - lovely bass and a nice sound but for me rolling off the volume and tone controls created a different sound but to my ears not a useable sound. I always thought it sounds too jazz like (strange that)!

Switched back to a P bass (Lakland BG) and its just got that sound! I roll back the volume and it mellows a little but doesn't lose anything, I roll back the tone control and it gives me a deeper flavour.

This bass, and a P bass in general, is like one of those really good sound men you occasionally find at gigs. I play with my fingers and it says oh ok your looking something classic sounding, I tweak the tone and volume control rolling them back a little here and there and it delivers the tone.

I turn up the volume and tone control and use a pick it just says oh yeah now you want that sound? no problem. Bam its edgy growly and all those good things you want from that type of tone. I find that a P bass is more useable across its volume and tone setting than that active Ibanez was. It might not have been all bells and whistles but we dont really need it do we?

A P bass will do slap, it will do prog. It might not be as easy to play as on a custom this or that but you can and it will sound great all the time you do it.

Simplicity is beautiful, a sunset, a kiss, a p bass. none of these things need to be complicated

"I've said this many times, and in many places: in 40 years, I've never met a neck-heavy Precision."

I have two, one better than the other, both neck heavy. The better of the two is fine, but relies on the friction of the strap on my shirt. The Jaydee just sits perfectly, no tugging at the shirt. Compared to this the Fender is neck heavy.

[quote name='krispn' post='671686' date='Dec 1 2009, 11:01 PM']I played a Fender '78 for a few years having got swapped from a thin, fast Ibanez SR something with active pick ups. The Ibanez was much easier to play, had more sounds, not all of them good I should add, and was a fair price.

The P sounded better.

Recently got back to playing and got a Jazz bass, Lakland DJ model - lovely bass and a nice sound but for me rolling off the volume and tone controls created a different sound but to my ears not a useable sound. I always thought it sounds too jazz like (strange that)!

Switched back to a P bass (Lakland BG) and its just got that sound! I roll back the volume and it mellows a little but doesn't lose anything, I roll back the tone control and it gives me a deeper flavour.

This bass, and a P bass in general, is like one of those really good sound men you occasionally find at gigs. I play with my fingers and it says oh ok your looking something classic sounding, I tweak the tone and volume control rolling them back a little here and there and it delivers the tone.

I turn up the volume and tone control and use a pick it just says oh yeah now you want that sound? no problem. Bam its edgy growly and all those good things you want from that type of tone. I find that a P bass is more useable across its volume and tone setting than that active Ibanez was. It might not have been all bells and whistles but we dont really need it do we?

A P bass will do slap, it will do prog. It might not be as easy to play as on a custom this or that but you can and it will sound great all the time you do it.

Simplicity is beautiful, a sunset, a kiss, a p bass. none of these things need to be complicated[/quote]

Prog on a P.....i really wouldnt fancy trying to play Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment or Scale the Summit material on a P-bass neck. good luck to you if you think its doable! i would liken it to trying to play Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto with the piano underwater (i.e. with lots of resistance)

I'm pleased this thread is being kept alive. In the old Bassworld days (pre BC) there was a much more anti Fender vibe to a lot of comments. I like to have a flatwound P, a roundwound P AND a P bass strung with Rotoswound TruBasss nylon strings. I agree with WoT that there is a growl as well as a thump. Every genre I've ever explored has always had a bit of inspiration for me with a bassist rocking a P-bass. I love telecasters and I love P-basses so I really do buy into the old adage that Leo got it right first time.

I've tried Elites and D'addario chromes on the P. Flats just don't suit how I play or get the sound I'm after. Much easier on the fingers though.

After playing for a bit now I've decided my prefereces are for a fairly chunky rosewood neck strung with rotosounds (I know they get a lot of stick on here but I love the old cheesegraters), played with a 1mm pick and a wizard thumper.

I wouldn't trade my Precision for anything. Yeah, it is a simple design, with arguable flaws within that design (access to upper frets!). However, I really think that it can be used for pretty much any kind of music. Tone comes from your brain and your fingers, if you feel comfortable playing a Fender Precision then I don't think you really lacking anything else.

Also in terms of playability I have never played a jazz bass that could play as fast as my Precision. I just think the idea that a Precision is only good for plodding around in the background is a bit of a myth.

When I was learning bass in the 70's it was always the guitarists who would say "you need a Fender Precision" and whenever I went out to a pub to see a band the bassist would usually have one - that or or a Rick. Jazz basses were rarer. So I will forever associate Fender Precisions with PUB ROCK, leather jackets and power chords... and I suppose treat them with indifference.

My favourite P-bass player will always be Colin Hodgkinson

and I also like the bloke from the Stranglers - and further back the Motown players though.

The Fender Precision is undoubtedly a design classic and is THE reference electric bass sound to which all others are compared (I always think of the intro to Money from Dark Side Of The Moon as the definitive P bass sound) much beloved by record producers, guitarists and apparently many bassists who just think that is what a bass guitar should sound like!

I’ve owned a few in my time and indeed still have one, thru I’ve only gigged it once over the past 12 years or so

However the do have faults that many here seem to celebrate for some reason: crap bridge that needs replacing, missing fret, poor access to upper register and not to mention those ridiculous ash tray things that get in the way of your right hand and make changing a string a major chore! For some strange reason there are still some people who insist on keeping these – why??

Edited by peteb

[quote name='peteb' post='672659' date='Dec 2 2009, 11:25 PM']The Fender Precision is undoubtedly a design classic and is THE reference electric bass sound to which all others are compared (I always think of the intro to Money from Dark Side Of The Moon as the definitive P bass sound) much beloved by record producers, guitarists and apparently many bassists who just think that is what a bass guitar should sound like!

I’ve owned a few in my time and indeed still have one, thru I’ve only gigged it once over the past 12 years or so

However the do have faults that many here seem to celebrate for some reason: crap bridge that needs replacing, missing fret, poor access to upper register and not to mention those ridiculous ash tray things that get in the way of your right hand and make changing a string a major chore! For some strange reason there are still some people who insist on keeping these – why??[/quote]

Well I guess some folks keep the arse one on to hide the fuglyness of the stock bridge! :)

Changing the bridge makes them sound different but not necessarily better. IMHO.

Keeping the bridge ashtrays on is no major deal for changing strings. I havn't broken a string on stage on a P since 1982 when I last replaced a serial spiral bridge string snapper for a barrel bidge.
They do limit your muting, "plucking right on the bridge" sound and pick wielding options though

I agree on the 21st fret which why my P5 has 21 and improved upper end access and yes, I do use it.....

There are no way enough P Bass photo's popping up on this thread! I'll add to the list of modded MIM ones with mine.

[attachment=37630:Mex_P_Bass.JPG]

I have fitted active Basslines pups inc J position pup, badass II, chrome cover (rarely on) tort plate. And, most importantly, another string retainer to give the A string a better break angle.

Always loved the tone of a P bass but had been very cagey about the build and hardware quality in the past - the 90s models seemed to be all over the place. However, having tried out the latest US Standards (with the new bridges and tuners) I decided to get one and am really, really impressed. Fender have really upped their game of late, most likely in response to all the Laklands and Sadowskys floating around....