Why become a member? ×

Fender Precisions - they're fantastic

Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='906504' date='Jul 26 2010, 11:44 PM']BRX's band would suit a Precision absolutely fine. In my opinion, it would take more than a debate about their instruments to make them sound good.

But opinions are like an arsehole, everybody has one. etc.[/quote]

Took a listen for the 1st time (why aint I before) and I agree, the P-bass sound would fit like a glove here...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='cameltoe' post='906411' date='Jul 26 2010, 10:32 PM']You've obviously not tried a 90's CIJ or a Roadworn........[/quote]
I have tried the Road Worns - both the P and the J. I bought a Red RW Jazz late last year - but sold it to buy a new USA Black/Maple. The Road Worns are very good, but FATALLY, they don't have string thru body. That is essential on a Fender P or J. I have tried many without, and you don't get the same sustain and the sound is very slightly harsher. ALL of the P basses I have tried without string thru miss a little bit of the lows.

The Road Worn guitars, on the other hand, are very good - I have a 50s Strat and have just bought a new 72 Tele Road Worn Custom. The guitars hold up very well against my USA Strat.

You just can't beat a good USA Jazz or P Bass. But that's just my opinion.

[quote name='mercuryl' post='921370' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:43 AM']I have tried the Road Worns - both the P and the J. I bought a Red RW Jazz late last year - but sold it to buy a new USA Black/Maple. The Road Worns are very good, but FATALLY, they don't have string thru body. That is essential on a Fender P or J. I have tried many without, and you don't get the same sustain and the sound is very slightly harsher. ALL of the P basses I have tried without string thru miss a little bit of the lows.

The Road Worn guitars, on the other hand, are very good - I have a 50s Strat and have just bought a new 72 Tele Road Worn Custom. The guitars hold up very well against my USA Strat.

You just can't beat a good USA Jazz or P Bass. But that's just my opinion.[/quote]

I wouldn't take a new USA over my Road Worn, no chance, I love the way it feels. It's ALL about the feel to me.

Having said that, from my limited time with trying USA Precisions, (and not having owned one) I've not been able to grumble about the lack of string thru body from the Precisions I've had in the past. I've always wondered what difference this would make though (even going so far as to get a quote from a luthier once for having a Mexican modified in this way. £100, if you're interested).

I guess I've not heard the differences you hear, but I guess that would change if I ever owned one and played it in a band situation, where most things tend to become apparent.

A USA precision is on my GAS list, and I guess if I do eventually get to own one, it would be nice to know the extra cost is justified.

Im sure there was a thread a while back with peoples views on thru body stringing

Strangely the only bass i ever had it on was on an early 90s tanglewood, fantastic bass for the money

From a listening point of view though, I think in a small gig situation, standing in the crowd it would be hard to state if a p bass had it or not, regardless how good the rig is

Recording may be a different issue

Anyway P basses are great even without it !

[quote name='cameltoe' post='921692' date='Aug 11 2010, 03:36 PM']I wouldn't take a new USA over my Road Worn, no chance, I love the way it feels. It's ALL about the feel to me.

Having said that, from my limited time with trying USA Precisions, (and not having owned one) I've not been able to grumble about the lack of string thru body from the Precisions I've had in the past. I've always wondered what difference this would make though (even going so far as to get a quote from a luthier once for having a Mexican modified in this way. £100, if you're interested).

I guess I've not heard the differences you hear, but I guess that would change if I ever owned one and played it in a band situation, where most things tend to become apparent.

A USA precision is on my GAS list, and I guess if I do eventually get to own one, it would be nice to know the extra cost is justified.[/quote]
Out of my 5 Precisions, 3 have string-thru bodies, 2 being the MIA Standards, and one the CIJ 51 Reissue. The MIAs seem to me to have a "smoother" sound. Less "spiky", and have that "felt as well as heard" quality to the sound. The MIM, even with the upgraded Fender pickup is noticeably different. At a practice, when using my MIM, our guitarist asked "wheres the beefy bottom end gone?"My Classic 50s is nearly there (same pickups as MIA Standard), but is just a bit away from the MIAs.

So in my view, string-thru is better, though seeing as an MIA Standard is over £800, and the Classic is just over £500, is string-thru worth an extra £300 - probably not. But both my MIAs were 2nd hand so didn`t shell out the extra for them :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='921819' date='Aug 11 2010, 05:41 PM']Out of my 5 Precisions, 3 have string-thru bodies, 2 being the MIA Standards, and one the CIJ 51 Reissue. The MIAs seem to me to have a "smoother" sound. Less "spiky", and have that "felt as well as heard" quality to the sound. The MIM, even with the upgraded Fender pickup is noticeably different. At a practice, when using my MIM, our guitarist asked "wheres the beefy bottom end gone?"My Classic 50s is nearly there (same pickups as MIA Standard), but is just a bit away from the MIAs.

So in my view, string-thru is better, though seeing as an MIA Standard is over £800, and the Classic is just over £500, is string-thru worth an extra £300 - probably not. But both my MIAs were 2nd hand so didn`t shell out the extra for them :)[/quote]
I agree it is a difficult one. I expect there are a lot of people that will either not notice the difference or will even prefer the sound of a MIM or a MIJ. I suppose I started with a MIA and use that as a benchmark. Maybe if I had started with a MIM then I would have preferred that sound. Who knows/