Why become a member? ×

GAS-free?

mcgraham

It may be too early to tell but after finally getting my hands on a Wal Mk1 (Cheers Si) I'm hoping that my GASing days are over for a while....

Now all I need to do is sell my fretless VC, Steinberger headless and Jaydee Supernatural...

Anybody GASing for any of these??

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1236741' date='May 19 2011, 10:45 AM']I looked up theremins on eBay last night - I am a lost cause.[/quote]

Lol

I've went a bit GAS mental recently and I don't see it really subsiding!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1236844' date='May 19 2011, 12:34 PM']One of us, one of us... ;-)

Which ones were you looking at?[/quote]

The Moog is the one I always look for, but I think I would like to build one from a kit. I think it's the sort of thing you should have to build yourself, like a light sabre.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1237550' date='May 19 2011, 10:50 PM']The Moog is the one I always look for, but I think I would like to build one from a kit. I think it's the sort of thing you should have to build yourself, like a light sabre.[/quote]
If you decide to go for one make sure it's a two arial model with pitch and volume. A lot of the kits just have a pitch arial which simply isn't expressive enough.

I daren't even poke my head above the parapet given my history :) Nevertheless I now have my dream P bass (YOB '63P), my dream fretless (Wal Mk1) and a gorgeous Jazz (wesfinn's Herbie Flowers-inspired '59-alike) so its difficult to think of what I could GAS over, especially as rigs have rarely excited me. Best move on to DB-type stuff then! In which case a lovely original '60s Ampeg baby Bass would be nice. B*gger, so I'm not GAS-free!

with my ric and Jag im bass gas free. Im in the market for a cheap but pretty decent backup that I would be using when I stand in at the local jam.

Amp wise I want the orange bass terror rig ideally the 2x12 cab with it. But I rarely even use my Markbass combo so I think I will hold off until I am gigging more and get more of a feel for the MB combo for now.

So Yeah I would say im gas free and long may it last.

After buying MattM's MM SUB last weekend I'm pretty GAS free as far as basses are concerned. I still would like a lightweight amp and cab so I don't need to lug around my great sounding but heavy Fender Bassman but I wouldn't classify that as GAS just common sense (and I don't lust after amps like I do basses they're just a necessary evil).

I do fancy a J-retro for one of my Jazzes though, as I 've got quite a liking for active basses since the arrival of the Musicman.

Edit - Oooops, I lied! I really fancy a double bass and am seriously thinking of selling my Fender Jazzes to finance one.

Edited by gjones

i think being a few hundred miles away from all my gear for months/weeks at a time [s]is helping[/s] has helped me to curb the GAS recently, but now the end is in sight i've started to peruse the for sale sections quite regularly.

my pedal board is bigger than my pedal collection and one can never have too many FX options, so that's not reeeaaaaly GAS

and i really [u]neeeed[/u] a new small amp that can fit in my little student room, so that doesn't count either

but at least bass-wise im GAS free- unless someone has a black gibson tbird studio IV...

i'm going to a poor mans grave, but i'm taking some expensive basses with me :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1237754' date='May 20 2011, 09:07 AM']Then I played the 50's CV yesterday for the first time :) :)[/quote]
Was that the one in Matchetts? Saw one in there the other day but didn't have time to play anything...

I'm GAS free at the minute after the arrival of my Terror Bass the other day. Actually planning a bit of gear consolidation - going to clear out some basses and rig stuff (see sig) to replace it with something smaller and more modular (by adding a second GS112). Don't class that as GAS myself...

OK so I'd [i][b]like[/b][/i] a PJ/PP/PM of some description, but if one doesn't come along I'll be fine without.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1237799' date='May 20 2011, 09:52 AM']Oooh, camera GAS. That's far more wallet-denting...[/quote]

Funny thing is i dont tend to change my camera gear as frequently as i do with my basses so its not so bad. This year is the first time in about 4 years ive brought any new gear, and i sold off some old gear to help pay for it.

Saying that, my CV Jazz is a year old next month so im doing well.

Well, amp-wise, I've been GAS-free for a year or so now with the RH450/1515L, and I haven't played a bass in a long time which made me think "Ooooh, gotta have that". Still idly contemplating a YOB bass, but that's pie-in-the-sky, 64-Precision-with-a-maple-board stuff, i.e. lottery win time.

Since I realised that I'm never gonna get one bass to do everything I want, I'm more than happy with my Franken-Ps and Fortress. Haven't touched the Ray or the Jazz in a while, might get round to moving them on, but prices at the moment suggest I'll be better holding onto them for a while yet.

That said, I've a couple of project builds I'm dying to finish, with a wenge/ebony Warmoth neck and a pair of Thumpers...

On a slightly unrelated topic, it's been a year since I had to sell my motorbike, and it's the first year in 29 I haven't had one, so I'm very very surprised that I don't miss it at all.

Edited by Muzz

I'm gonna join the gas-free club now :)
Really happy with everything, I don't think I could improve on anything.

I'm gonna really knuckle down with my playing as I seem to have become slightly gear obsessed over the last 6months.

Having said that, I'm kinda getting into my girlfriends GAS.....Roller Derby...skates haha.
Oh and tattoo GAS will always be there, my other arm needs starting....and my chest...hmmm, glad bass is out the way :)

Si

Oddy enough, I only have GAS for accessories at the moment. I'm loving my basses and my GK/Ampeg rig, don't want to change them at all!

I want some new leads, one of those new ultra-modern safe bass bags, some stands, a couple of nice new straps, an EBS mircobass and a J East pre. Maybe a refin for my Jazz too. I've always loved tobacco burst and then it'll match the Precision innit. Gotta have matching basses!

Truckstop

Not at all. Even when I'm really happy with what I have I'll still be keeping an eye out for things. Like a jazz from 1973, or a 75 reissue, or another aerodyne. But that's all.

Or or a spare amp. But nothing else.

Oh, or a lightweight practice amp perhaps. Maybe a peavey t40 if one came along. But really, that's all......

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1197732' date='Apr 13 2011, 06:21 AM']I'm happy with my bass, and my amp.. But still get incredible GAS when it comes to cabinets, pedals and pickups! Halfway there ey? :)[/quote]

At the moment, it's just cabs! grrrr so close!