Why become a member? ×

GAS-free?

mcgraham

I realised just now I haven't checked the basses/amps for sale section on here in over a year, and haven't bought a new bass or amp in that time. I think I might actually be GAS-free. My W&T fretless is still the greatest bass I've ever played and I don't want to play anything else.

Anyone else GAS-free, at least at the moment?

I'm currently gas free!!! - having just bought PsychAndy's Yammy BB415!! :)

I have as much amplification & FX as I need & it's just a case of getting the right instrument - the Cirrus was very nearly there, but I like the even-ness across the strings & the pickups on the Yammy.

G.

No, I always want to try new things, I think part of the fun of bass playing is trying so many different and wonderful instruments. I play drums and guitar too so even if I'm temporarily happy on bass there's always something else. Have you seen the G&L Invader for £350 in the FS section? GAS.

Edited by Doctor J

Yes...

For bass...

With conditions...

If I was 100% honest with myself I don't need any more bass gear except a spare amp to allow me to use a very small rig when required. However there's no real element of GAS here (I keep telling myself) as I'm going to get a Hartke because I've tried one before and liked it plus I have a contact in the industry who can get me one cheap.

There are basses I'd still like to try and maybe own, but I doubt I'll be seeing any of them any time soon in the shops or for sale either here or on eBay, so the only way I'd be getting one would be to order one without playing it first direct from the manufacturer, which I don't feel inclined enough to do at the moment.

Guitars on the other hand...

Edited by BigRedX

Bass-wise ever since I got the Shuker I've had next to no desire for another bass. I'm not even sure I like that, it's robbed me of all the fun of wanting something and ultimately, with a bit of luck, getting it, but apart from a bit of curiousity over a Rick, which I think I've cured myself of, I can't think of another bass I want. I've tried a couple of experiments outside the normal 4-string/fretted jobs (a 5-string and a 5-string fretless) but neither lasted long. Only thing I have a hankering for is an acoustic bass. Amp-wise I would like a LMII as a backup/alternative for my GB. My next purchase is likely to be PA gear.

Pretty much - love my Seis, and fretless, very happy with my Shuttle 9.0 - just thinking about cabs now, but what I have (Epifani 210) will do for now... though in an ideal world I'd also love a [url="http://www.marleaux-bass.de/bass_consat_custom.html"]Marleaux Consat custom[/url], but it can wait for now :) - I'm too busy trying to play good to think about gear!

I think my GAS peaked from 2004-2008. The last 18 months has been much calmer and right now there is nothing I feel strongly enough to buy. Those Hagstrom Viking basses look great but then I think I have a Hofner Verithin so the desire to own goes away. I'm into the idea of having a smaller number of instruments that [b]all[/b] get regularly played and it's a good place to be. :)

As far as Amps and cabs go two peavey MkVI XP's and a selections of cabs is more than enough and now with two Bongo 5's I honestly can't think of anything I need.... as far as want goes I will always be lusting after a nice overwater in 34" scale but that is just on the lottery list :)

<stands up> "My name is Monz and I have no GAS" [i](paaaarp)[/i]

Hmm nah. I want a Ricky (Fireglo), a Precision and a Stingray. The Overwater is fantastic, but doesn't have the strong tonal characters of the others I want. Realistically, I won't be getting any of them because I won't have significant disposable income this year :), Amp wise ? Been happy with the ABM for years...

I still check out all the For sale sections, but at present, as I`ve been off-loading gear, am GAS Free.

Not in a band at present, so one amp, one cab, one DI box, one tuner, and my two Precisions are all I need. Realistically, even if I do join another band, thats all I`ll need.

I do seem to be GAS free at the moment.
It was pretty hectic last week as i almost got a new amp and was very tempted by the new Squier Matt Freeman P but after a great gig on Sat im just going to go with what i have for a while longer.

I do want a iPad 2 though :-(

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1196584' date='Apr 12 2011, 10:17 AM']Yes...

For bass...

Guitars on the other hand...[/quote]
+1 having recently got a PJB Cub for practice/rehearsal/recording (awesome BTW). Having Telecaster withdrawl at the moment though and the Squier CV bound custom is ticking all the right boxes for me.

I'm far from GAS free. I need to sell my Yammy, fix up and sell my Ashdown 2x10 combo, fix a Sessionette combo I found on eBay, buy another amp for small gigs, and that's well before I look at all the unnecessary things that take my fancy. It's actually stressing me out a bit.

I'm pretty much GAS-free (thank God) but there a [i]few[/i] things I'd still [i]LIKE[/i] to own... :lol:

[u]Basses:[/u]
Spector SB1 custom build
Spector NS2X (Thunderbird shape)
Fender 'Steve Harris' Precision
Fender Jazz MIJ/CIJ 75RI in 3TS
Mouradian CS-74
Ibanez Saber/Sabre Bass (in petrol purple preferably)
80's/early 90's Warwick Streamer with EMGs
Yamaha BB2004 or BBNE2 (black or white)

[u]Amps/Cabs:[/u]
Genz Benz Streamliner
Bergantino NV610 - Edit: OOPS! Just gone and bought one! :) :D :P :)

Edited by cetera

Nearly GAS free here - well bass-wise anyway. My Rick and '57 P both give me the exact tones I like, they're both a pleasure to play and look great too.

I haven't played live with any effects for a couple of years now, which is very liberating and really focuses me on playing more consistently and inventively.

If my band were to play live more often (like in previous years) I'd really like to get rid of my Ampeg B2RE head (not that there's anything wrong with it, it's great!) and go for something valvey like a Matamp GT200 or an Ampeg SVT CL, but it wouldn't get enough use; it's just not worth it at the moment.

The only thing I have bought in the last 10 months is a PJB Bass Cub, which has been wonderful for low-key acoustic(ish) gigs and recording.

Might start looking at some acoustic guitars soon though. Anyone played a Taylor Mini GS?

Edited by WILD FROG SHOT