Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Played my first Bandeoke last night. Horrible name, but great fun. 

Better audience reaction than most gigs I've played, genuine sense of togetherness between the muggles and the musicians. Drummer I'd not met before was just great, guitarist has years of function stuff under his belt, which I don't. 300+ songs on the list for Joe public to choose from, no I didn't know them all but had the chords loaded onto a tablet so no problem there.

Used my Behringer head and Harley Benton musicman style bass, a bunch of effects which I stomped on pretty randomly.

Just great fun start to finish.

I would love to try this! Sounds a blast, especially with good musicians to work with.

With my acoustic duo we do gigs where we put request forms on the tables, and can usually manage approx 80% of the stuff the punters ask for. Even if we’re not completely sure of the song ( nearly always the lyrics that trip us up), they appreciate us having a go. Got our monthly gig in Scarborough tonight where we get inundated with requests, from 1920’s to 2020’s, really looking forward to it. 

8 minutes ago, casapete said:

I would love to try this! Sounds a blast, especially with good musicians to work with.

With my acoustic duo we do gigs where we put request forms on the tables, and can usually manage approx 80% of the stuff the punters ask for. Even if we’re not completely sure of the song ( nearly always the lyrics that trip us up), they appreciate us having a go. Got our monthly gig in Scarborough tonight where we get inundated with requests, from 1920’s to 2020’s, really looking forward to it. 

This does sound like good fun! 

• Like 1

It almost felt like things were back to normal last night with a fully packed WMC less than 10 minutes from home (much better than the trip across the Pennines in less than ideal conditions last weekend). The last time we played this venue was during restrictions, limited numbers, no dancing, table service etc so it was awesome to have people dancing from the first choon and lots of noise. The new songs were well received too so a cracking night all round.

7A9706B4-891D-4AEC-B412-C8F7083F09DD.jpeg

• Like 6

Our last gig at The Ferry in Glasgow took place two weeks before lockdown in Feb 2020.

Fast forward almost two years exactly and we were back with a new rhythm player and a few new supporters. 

I played in the support band too who also introduced their new singer to the masses.

Happy days indeed. FB_IMG_1645877566936.thumb.jpg.adb739fff05504b260440da8c3322f77.jpgFB_IMG_1645483818895.jpg.ab706d9c6a55054e65f918ea5139a94f.jpgFB_IMG_1645401386897.thumb.jpg.65042e5a949818902f59781192d938c4.jpg

• Like 4

3.00 pm gig yesterday at the Blackmore Vale Inn in Marnhull. Crammed into a corner near the bar as the only other space was outside and whilst sunny it was quite cold. We had to clear away before the Rugby started so a quick 2 sets, strip down and away. Been our first live gig since before Christmas but seemed to go pretty well.

A certain Bournemouth based Basschatter was spotted lurking stage right too....

image.png.bdc48ae1fcf0f5c7b7a3ac3814183345.png

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

3.00 pm gig yesterday at the Blackmore Vale Inn in Marnhull. Crammed into a corner near the bar as the only other space was outside and whilst sunny it was quite cold. We had to clear away before the Rugby started so a quick 2 sets, strip down and away. Been our first live gig since before Christmas but seemed to go pretty well.

A certain Bournemouth based Basschatter was spotted lurking stage right too....

Safe to say you put Marnhull on the map… 👍

Charity gig this afternoon, me and two mates doing semi acoustic originals.

On stage sound was dreadful - loads of sub frequency mush which I think was actually coming from the electric guitar (was still there even when I was muted) so I spent most of it playing by feel as I couldn't hear a thing. The last couple of numbers sounded OK and everyone there said it sounded amazing out front 😎

My first proper gig for over 25 years! I'm not waiting that long for another...

• Like 3

Last night’s gig was great, the Led Zep tribute played a packed social club in Grimsby. We played really well, the audience was great – all in all, a top gig.

Unfortunately, the gig itself was rather overshadowed by the journey there – my clutch went on the motorway on the way to the gig! I managed to drive the last 30 miles or so in 5th gear and eventually broke down at the first roundabout once I got to into the town. I’m still waiting for Green Flag to recover my car back to Bradford, and I am going to spend every penny of my gig money from what was looking like a pretty lucrative February on an expensive new clutch for my old Volvo. That’s not to mention that I need the car recovered, new clutch fitted and back to me in time to drive down to South London on Friday for a gig at the Boom Boom Club!

Obviously, there are worse things happening in the world, but still a hassle / cost I could do without… 

Edited by peteb
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, peteb said:

Last night’s gig was great, the Led Zep tribute played a packed social club in Grimsby. We played really well, the audience was great – all in all, a top gig.

Unfortunately, the gig itself was rather overshadowed by the journey there – my clutch went on the motorway on the way to the gig! I managed to drive the last 30 miles or so in 5th gear and eventually broke down at the first roundabout once I got to into the town. I’m still waiting for my car to be recovered back to Bradford, and I am going to spend every penny of my gig money from what was looking like a pretty lucrative February on an expensive new clutch for my old Volvo. That’s not to mention that I need the car recovered, new clutch fitted and back to me in time to drive down to South London on Friday for a gig at the Boom Boom Club!

Obviously, there are worse things happening in the world, but still a hassle / cost I could do without… 

OUCH !!! but the gig was good tho. 

Dave

Nice wee afternoon gig with the Glam rock band at Prestonpans Legion. Sell out gig all 150 tickets sold. Quiet first set with only a few dancers but 2nd set we had the floor quite busy and for the last 2-3 songs it was feeling good to be back at it again.

Had a few noise probs with bass amp again but this time a loudish hum that stopped when i muted the signal or unplugged the input cable so i'm guessing someone threw a mains lead over one of my instrument signal leads somewhere ?? The stage was quite busy with cabling for PA and powered speakers and cooling fans cause it gets hot under those wigs.

Dave

• Like 3

Last night was the Horse & Jockey in Lanark again. Forth gig in a row and four drummers, so it’s all getting a wee bit Spinal Tap. Song we done off the cuff, Hard to Handle, went better than some we’d rehearsed. But the one we’d rehearsed to death, Asia with Heat of the Moment, nearly fell apart. 🙄 Nice crowd and all good fun, so we’re booked to go back at the end of April. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

Last night was the Horse & Jockey in Lanark again. Forth gig in a row and four drummers, so it’s all getting a wee bit Spinal Tap. Song we done off the cuff, Hard to Handle, went better than some we’d rehearsed. But the one we’d rehearsed to death, Asia with Heat of the Moment, nearly fell apart. 🙄 Nice crowd and all good fun, so we’re booked to go back at the end of April. 

Was sitting in the house watching crap telly Lee. Wish i had seen that i would have come down.

You need to advertise more mate.

Dave

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Was sitting in the house watching crap telly Lee. Wish i had seen that i would have come down.

You need to advertise more mate.

Dave

Sorry Dave, forgot to post on Facebook. Wee Ted is the 8th of April and I’m 22nd of April. Hope I can make it to one of yours soon too. 👍

• Like 1

Turned up  mixer 30 miles away ... had to fetch my brother's from 10miles awsy. No soundcheck. Stonking gig. Lots of dancing. Much silliness and rocksyar posing. Lots of random improv, musical chaos. Didn't get to the end of setlist but went way over time by stretching songs that had folks dancing.

Promoter over the moon and promising to book us more, another guy with three venues (in my home town, yay) took our details too.

• Like 9

IMG_2039.thumb.jpg.ca1fa64ea9f58085b108c303a9e85150.jpgOur first gig as the band "Last Of Our Kind", played at the Horse and Groom in Derby. We've all played in bands before, but never together! Very lucky to get in the pub with no previous gigs under the belt as it is well known for its music, however our drummer's contact managed to get us a slot. Must have done well because the lovely manager has asked us back two more times! Great gig, a couple of hiccups, but nothing we didn't power through.

Got some noisy low frequency hum through the subs when we stopped playing though in the second set, which was a pain.

Edited by AScheck9
  • Like 5

Funny thing after the last gig. In one song the guitarist left a big gap for me to drop a 'solo' into 😵. I dropped in several bars of sub-standard slap.

Afterwards his dad (who does the sound) said 'In all along the watchtower your bass started making some really odd noises' 😱

• Confused 1

Did a wedding at the weekend. Arrived, took a while to find someone who could tell where we were setting up. It was a really tiny stage area, that already had some huge speakers in. Started moving those, then the DJ who owned them turned up.. oops. He was ok though.

Managed to cram in there. First half bad choice of songs near the start so the crowd weren't really with us. In the second half we threw out everythign that wasn't ska or party, and it went down a storm. Also started that half with a song we had learned for a first dance, but they had the first dance to the DJ, so by the time of the second first dance, loads of alcohol had gone through and they were more up for it anyway.

So all went ok, and they were all happy in the end, so double the money, half the time, what is not to like!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Fantastic gig on Saturday night at our favourite venue, Coda in Colchester. This bar is owned by two youngish blokes who run it purely as a live music venue and they’re doing well with it. They have jam and open mic nights every week and acoustic sets weekend afternoons. Well worth a look in if you’re ever in Colchester. 

we had a busy night but finally getting back into our stride after the lockdown took its toll. 

a compilation from Saturday 

Edited by Dazm66
  • Like 6