Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Cheers! It's a Maruszczyk Basstank, built by Handbox. Solid state, two channels - one of which is geared to DB use. I don't use that channel.

It's a lovely head.

Looks like an impressive bit of kit. Does it sound SS as the Handbox has a nice warm tone that i have only based on your vids.

Dave

On 07/02/2022 at 21:53, casapete said:

We played our monthly gig at The Lookout in Scarborough. Another full house of lovely people in the audience, it's my favourite current gig.

First time I've used my Ibanez PNB14E short scale electro acoustic, and was well pleased with the result into my Fender Rumble 100.

Milestone - Lookout (Jan '22) (5).jpg

Ah Scarbados! I was born and grew up there, moved out twenty years ago and chances to go back get fewer each year. There was always a fantastic music scene there. I've never heard of the Lookout though, where is it?

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Ah Scarbados! I was born and grew up there, moved out twenty years ago and chances to go back get fewer each year. There was always a fantastic music scene there. I've never heard of the Lookout though, where is it?

It’s on the west pier, in fact the full name of the venue is The Lookout on the Pier. We play there one Sunday a month at present, and it’s a wonderful gig. Before it was up and running we also used to do The Watermark on the north bay, again a great venue previously run by the same people as The Lookout. 

I’ve played in Scarborough quite a lot over the years, and have worked with some amazing players there. Used to play at a great little pub called The Indigo Alley, bottom of N.Marine Rd. Also many good New Years Eve gigs at The Scarborough Spa as well as many other function do’s at all the major hotels. It’s only an hour’s drive from where I live, and always enjoy working there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Thanks, the Brasenose (I think there is only one pub called that in the country - at least, that's what I was told by the landlord a few years ago) is the only pub around Banbury I've played in. 

One of my greatest bass hero's favourite pub.

• Like 2

We had a great gig last night at Liverpool's Empire Theatre. Despite the long journey in pretty grim weather, it proved well worth it - around 1300 people in the audience which amazed us. A really historic venue that has put on a long list of great singers and bands over the years, including of course The Beatles. Always think of this when I'm singing 'Roll over Beethoven' on that same stage, (albeit quite a different version from theirs and Chuck's!!)

Managed time to get a great pizza at the famous Ma Egerton's pub (near the stage door) before the gig too, so didn't have to walk far on a night of dreadful weather.

Made it home around 2am, knackered today though.

374bcd25-990f-4b79-bdc5-ec5b3a3fe974.JPG

f1e8c577-831a-4ae3-bdc2-eb33154c5b3a.JPG

274215907_7349766515035225_6727652700338811681_n.jpg

Edited by casapete
Add pic
  • Like 14

7 hours ago, casapete said:

Used to play at a great little pub called The Indigo Alley, bottom of N.Marine Rd.

I remember when getting a gig at the Indigo was THE aspiration, and dropping them off cassettes of my band when I was 17 / 18. Never did get a gig there... Maybe have to go back all these years later! 

6 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I remember when getting a gig at the Indigo was THE aspiration, and dropping them off cassettes of my band when I was 17 / 18. Never did get a gig there... Maybe have to go back all these years later! 

Yeh, a great little pub - it said on the board outside ‘Real music and live ales’.

A mate of mine used to run Thursday evenings there, and I used to do it when their regular bassist ( the amazing Aidan  Lawrence) was away touring. Always a great night, especially when I stayed over and sampled the excellent beers. Haven’t been in for a while now, hope it’s managed to retain it’s magic for local musicians. Happy days.

• Like 1

Nothing tonight but an odd Sunday afternoon gig tomorrow at Rocknrolla's in Paisley, Glasgow with Emergency Exit classic punk covers band. New venue for the band in a converted church so really looking forward to it. PA and lights supplied too. Nice.

Dave

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Funnily enough, I saw Kraftwerk, Bauhaus and Cabaret Voltaire there... Though not on the same bill.

I saw Lou Reed there in the 70’s with my brother, who saw David Bowie there around the same time. The list of who has played there is amazing. Apparently when Sinatra was there someone had to go and remove him from the nearby pub and get him onstage as the audience and band were fed up of waiting for him. 

Sunday afternoon gig at Rocknrolla's in Paisley Glasgow went quite well. Not a large crowd by any means but all into punk music and a few that were surprised just how many of the songs they recognised.

Fantastic venue if anyone is looking to book a gig in Paisley, Glasgow area. Converted church but very well done and laid out.

Sound Engineer Paul was 1st class and had the band rigged up to PA very quickly and all done very politely with no hassle at all. Sound check was done as you would expect with great comms from SE to the band. All in all a first class job, good PA and foldback system.

Made a few mistooks in songs i've never had an issue with before so i was a bit surprised. Had one senior moment where i totally forgot what i play during guitar solo but i ad libbed on root note and seemed ok.

We even had a "band room" with sandwiches and cold drinks including beer if you weren't driving all supplied. 

We split our fee evenly with the Sound Engineer getting a share as he did a fantastic job for us.

Started at 1:15pm for 1hr then 20min break and back on all finished circa 4pm and home for 6pm. It was weird doing a Sun afternoon gig and being home for 6pm.

Have a similar gig next Sun with the Glam rock band in another venue.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 8

Fantastic gig with the punk band at the Thistle Bike Rally in a Hotel literally 1.5miles from my house. Shame my car got blocked in on 3 sides in car park and i had to get the organisers to chase up the owners.

Band was on top form tonight. Few minor mistakes ....... by everyone but not noticeable by audience.

Dancers on the floor from the first song. Great PA and Sound Engineer who loved the tone i was getting from my Sandberg Marlowe and the Mesa bass rig. Another bass player came up to me at the end and said the bass sounded so sweet and every note was clear but deep.

We also got offered another bike rally in May but we need to check the calendar and another possible gig in July from it. 

All in all its been a great night. 

I'm happy tonight. 

Next gig on Sunday afternoon with the Glam Rock band.

Dave

• Like 5

Last night... It was like a school disco. Huge room with a smattering of people sat around the edges for the whole first half. Luckily some people arrived about halfway through and had up til ten o'clock on paydays worth of Dutch courage to dance and sing along for the second half. In the first half I suffered from "what sounds good at home doesn't work live" and had some very muddy settings on my Jack Casady on a few songs, which was a bit of a shame but I couldn't hear myself for most the first half. Made a fair few mistakes in the first half but an experienced ex soundman friend of mine watching said the only way he knew was from the apologetic looks being exchanged on stage. Had a chat with the sound engineer, switched to my Stingray in the second half and was much happier with sound and performance all round. Also, it was my first gig with a wireless so I joined the singer and guitarist for a boogie on the dancefloor, leaving the drummer on stage all alone, which was fun.

• Like 3

On 19/02/2022 at 12:48, casapete said:

We had a great gig last night at Liverpool's Empire Theatre. Despite the long journey in pretty grim weather, it proved well worth it - around 1300 people in the audience which amazed us. A really historic venue that has put on a long list of great singers and bands over the years, including of course The Beatles. Always think of this when I'm singing 'Roll over Beethoven' on that same stage, (albeit quite a different version from theirs and Chuck's!!)

Managed time to get a great pizza at the famous Ma Egerton's pub (near the stage door) before the gig too, so didn't have to walk far on a night of dreadful weather.

Made it home around 2am, knackered today though.

374bcd25-990f-4b79-bdc5-ec5b3a3fe974.JPG

f1e8c577-831a-4ae3-bdc2-eb33154c5b3a.JPG

274215907_7349766515035225_6727652700338811681_n.jpg

wow that's an incredible looking venue.  No doubt the gig was superb too.. 👍🏾

• Like 1

It might be of minimal interest to in excess of 99.999% of the world's population, but last night 60% of my old Sixth Form goth band regrouped and played some of the old songs from back in 1990. The three of us hadn't played them in almost 32yrs and it was a blast. I absolutely loved it. A local open mic gig and it really was a firm favourite. Plus, it's nice to gig away from the bass and play my mandolin for a change.

IMG_3262.jpg.defe1ce943c5a701a34178a85756b6a1.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg.d3d0b5d6a5973038b12a501a922fe8b2.jpg

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

It might be of minimal interest to in excess of 99.999% of the world's population, but last night 60% of my old Sixth Form goth band regrouped and played some of the old songs from back in 1990. The three of us hadn't played them in almost 32yrs and it was a blast. I absolutely loved it. A local open mic gig and it really was a firm favourite. Plus, it's nice to gig away from the bass and play my mandolin for a change.

IMG_3262.jpg.defe1ce943c5a701a34178a85756b6a1.jpg

IMG_3276.jpg.d3d0b5d6a5973038b12a501a922fe8b2.jpg

Old Goth band and mandolin dont seem to go hand in hand but sounds lie you had a great time.

Dave

45 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Old Goth band and mandolin dont seem to go hand in hand but sounds lie you had a great time.

Dave

We thought it would be fun to do those old songs on folk instruments. Plus, there is some mandolin on stuff by The Mission so it isn't *that* much of a stretch. We have the acoustic side like this and then the more conventional electric stuff with a drum machine, sequenced keys etc. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

We thought it would be fun to do those old songs on folk instruments. Plus, there is some mandolin on stuff by The Mission so it isn't *that* much of a stretch. We have the acoustic side like this and then the more conventional electric stuff with a drum machine, sequenced keys etc. 

I only know The Mission hits i'm afraid but any vids from the gig please post one and lets hear how it sounded. I would really like that kind of night.

Dave

• Like 1

Played my first Bandeoke last night. Horrible name, but great fun. 

Better audience reaction than most gigs I've played, genuine sense of togetherness between the muggles and the musicians. Drummer I'd not met before was just great, guitarist has years of function stuff under his belt, which I don't. 300+ songs on the list for Joe public to choose from, no I didn't know them all but had the chords loaded onto a tablet so no problem there.

Used my Behringer head and Harley Benton musicman style bass, a bunch of effects which I stomped on pretty randomly.

Just great fun start to finish.

• Like 9

Friday night saw the 3rd gig with the new band, and a return to the village hall we played at in December. Once again our frontman and guitarists were down on the dancefloor, while myself and Mr Drums were up on the stage (thankfully with slightly more room than last time as there's now no Christmas tree to get in the way!). After an annoyingly prolonged set-up trying to get the singer's guitars, mandolin and effects to all play nicely together, we finally got the sound we were after with five minutes to spare,and kicked off. Five songs in, and a horrible boominess erupted which I presumed it was down to me - cue much fiddling with amp and EQ settings, all to no avail. We got through to the end of the set, and then spent most of the break attempting to track down both an annoying buzz and the source of the aforementioned booming - after a degree of, erm, "percussive maintenance" on the singer's crappy old amp and equally crappy pedal board, both irritants disappeared. Mr Lead Guitar could now hear himself properly, I was back to my preferred settings, and the second set went superbly, possibly the best we've played over the course of our three gigs so far. According to various members of the audience, the sound out front was excellent despite the on-stage issues, so all's well that ends well. We'll now be spending part of our next rehearsal trying to sort out Mr Singer's gear once and for all, prior to our next gig (a charity event) in a couple of weeks' time - one suggestion involved a Viking Burial on the river behind our rehearsal shed, but I suspect that's not going to happen... 

Bratoft birthday gig.jpg

• Like 5