Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We did Scunthorpe Baths Hall and Sunderland Empire Theatre this week.

Scunthorpe gig is one of our nearest so always enjoy it. A great venue with top facilities and a good sounding room.

Sunderland is another of my favourites - modern building containing an old style theatre, great crew and always an appreciative crowd. 

A really enjoyable gig.

276143062_4741157985995865_4165877393913526581_n.jpg

• Like 10

I can finally join in!! Yay! First gig with a new covers band in a local pub. Went well: learnt 49 songs (I mean, they’re all songs all of us know, nothing taxing!) and it went great! Some stuff with proper “you gotta play the original line coz that’s the meat of the song” like Crazy Little Thing and Pump It Up, and a good sprinkling of stuff where I could just play around. Because I’m not singing and PA’ing I just rocked up, set up in 10 mins and was ready… lovely!

It’s the guitarist’s band and he (by his own admission) needs to tighten some stuff up. Singer’s good, drummer is ****ing excellent - next rehearsal I’ll add some harmonies and bring a proper mixer and some decent mics and… I’ll be doing all the work again. Can’t help myself!

Pub was rammed, dancing and singing and repeat booking…. 20 min drive and £60 in my pocket. Loved it!!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, moley6knipe said:

I next rehearsal I’ll add some harmonies and bring a proper mixer and some decent mics and… I’ll be doing all the work again. Can’t help myself!

Dream on the idea of going to a band and not doing the PA or anything!

• Like 1

Small cozy venue tonight with the punk covers band. Played there about 2mths ago.

Wasn't very busy when we started of but punters just kept coming in and halfway thru first set it got to a decent wee crowd. Lot of singing along too. Singer is just recovering from Covid 2-3 weeks ago and is struggling for breath so the audience were helping us out i reckon. The band have a good wee following in this venue so that always helps.

Went really well with lots of great feedback especially the bass compliments from several people. Aparently i nailed every song and one guy said i did a fantastic job on  Eddie & Hot Rods song Do Anything You Wanna Do. He's a fan of them and reckoned i got it spot on. He also asked if i was a Geddy fan as i had a similar style and tone which was a very well received comment. Seemed to be a few bass players in the audience tonight as i was getting comments about my playing and bass gear. 

Few mates from way back came along for a listen and they were very impressed and commented on FB page that it was a cracking gig.

I was even asked to give a young lady a hug. I did oblige solely for the PR of course.

No pics or vids as yet but will post if i get any.

Had to stop of for a kebab and pakora on way home at midnight as nothing to eat since 3pm.

All in all i'm going to bed very happy with todays job.

Dave 

• Like 9

Well, the much anticipated/dreaded Paddys Night debacle didn't turn out half as rowdy as I'd feared; France won (so Ireland didn't, tho it was interesting to see a bunch of Ireland rugby fans cheering for England for a while), and the place wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be - I suspect the Paddy's Day crowd had caned it on Thursday and Friday, so it was a more normal crowd. Still packed, still a queue out the doors, but not the mayhem I'd anticipated...

Few new songs thrown in by the BL:

'Do you know Tennessee Whiskey?'

'Erm, I've heard it.'

'In A. Two, three, four...'

All good, tho - a slightly shorter gig, thanks to the rugby (two sets rather than the usual three), paid and home in good time. Even got parked outside for nowt (a major achievement in the centre of Manchester). 

Good to be back.

• Like 2

On 20/03/2022 at 08:29, Nail Soup said:

Not exactly 'my', not exactly 'a gig', and not on bass, but.............

My first 'gig' since lockdown: I joined a band (on vocals) for 4 songs at a pub gig.

Punk covers, went down really well, got some good feedback from the crowd and it felt great to be back performing.

Still buzzing!

Found a pic on FB (well it's taken from a video):

King of the Kerb Stony Stratford.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

St . Paddy's gig at one of Newcastle's most beautiful bars. Here's some singalong bits.

Absolutely heaving, and a great afternoon. On the down side, it'll be a miracle if we don't all get covid.

P3200946.thumb.jpg.1e38bf036fd445be406845e226280b7f.jpg

P3200937.thumb.jpg.6c98ec29c52eec844d651c2e974c7836.jpg

P3200920.thumb.jpg.a6419806b2df8fde6c9f8c213c485c01.jpg

I like how your drummer responds with a little lilt when you turn around and groove with him.

We had our (much more humble than previous posts) 2nd gig in the 2 years since we formed. Thanks to covid. 

We organised it ourselves in the village hall, about 100 people where we've put on loads of other local bands before.

Cracking night. The singers dress strap snapped, so spent half the set trying to prevent a serious "fall out". And the foldback decided to go AWAL. But the audience was well up for a night out with much dancing and even 2 encores. 

Great to be back out. Roll on the next one.

Good to see others gigging again after such a difficult period. 

• Like 3

First proper gig of the year. Played at the Captain's Day do at a golf club in the depths of the Essex countryside. We're not really a functions band but we spent a bit of time on presentation and thought we looked the part. The guests were a bit older than we expected, so much rearranging of the set list on the fly to focus on 60's and 70's numbers, but we had a good number dancing from the off and some nice comments at the end. So a great start to the gigging year.

IMG-20220327-WA0004.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

We did a very rocking set at the Finsbury in London. Lots of comments on my bass - it's literally just some bits! 😸

61000139_TimFinsburyMarch22.thumb.jpg.fc24cba32c51ece9599c54370ae62480.jpg

Coz it’s some good looking bits is why! Can’t help the feeling that a butterscotch Tele needs to feature in my future. When my wrists won’t handle a 5er any more….

• Like 1

Bit of a jog for us last night, we don't normally leave our town, so going all the way down to the coast was some journey (esp as half the roads were closed). Set up in a tight corner, once we found somewhere to park.

Not huge audience numbers but ok. Also a really short set for us, 9-11:15, so plenty of song options.

Half way through it sounded like my speaker had blown or something, so between songs, I tried it with the top one plugged in, nope, then the bottom one plugged in, no. Then maybe it is the pedal board, I had just updated the firmware on the helix HX, so bypassed that, nope, still nothing. Battery in the bass? nope. So I was concerned my ABM600 was broken, changed some settings, turned down the preamp and up the amp, still nothing. Then a though, I am not using the smoothhound as it started buzzing so using my cheap chinese 5GHz wireless. Quickly through my lead in there, buzz gone. Next song connected it all back, lead from backbeat to pedalboard, pedalboard to amp, sounded great. Then half way through the song, stepped backwards and trod on the lead which  pulled it out! arggghhh!

Still, after that it was all good.

• Like 1

Last night's one was a saga!

Our scheduled gig was scratched due to a double booking by the venue. Nice to know you're the ones to get binned isn't it....

So I put a post up on Facebook to see if anyone needed a band that night and we were rebooked in about 5 minutes by a venue that we had played at once before a few months back, went down well but didn't have space to book any more as our diary was full. All good and made even better when the original gig got in touch and said the other band had made a mistake and couldn't do the gig and we were back on. Oh no we're not bucko - we're somewhere else now. Sweet revenge!!

So this new one is 20 mins up the road from me, an easy load in, got loads of lights so we don't need to take so much gear and a brilliant crowd usually. And I had my new amp courtesy of @40hz to try out. The scene was set. Gopro clamped to the PA speaker in front of me so the bass is a bit high but here you go

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 5

Took a long two and a half years of being in separate countries, COVID, not being able to find a drummer etc, but we finally played a gig on Friday.

Lovely local pub, played an hour and a bit of our own stuff to an enthusiastic crowd, free drinks and even got paid. Nothing better.

• Like 6

Not quite last night 😂 but went on tour with a band I guitar tech for. I’d learned a load of their set before we left because of Covid. I ended up playing the last 4 shows of the tour. Sheffield, Bristol, Bournemouth O2 Academy’s and Shepherds Bush empire. Headlining. I hadn’t played a show for a year 😂. What an experience!

29E5BE52-459B-42C0-B129-E585E713846C.jpeg

B4DE5AD5-BDE6-4507-8B15-E2EA32562858.jpeg

C613B98F-2BA1-46AF-8DB2-F37534437910.jpeg

447DD39C-AB36-4657-A38C-E498B8522D5F.jpeg

• Like 12

Slightly smaller crowd than the one from Nash's post but at the weekend the 80s alternative duo from the ashes of my old Sixth Form Goth band played the local village open mic. Loving this minimalist set up with acoustic folk instruments and drum machines / synths. Plus it's nice just to hang out with one of my oldest friends. I love that we can do a Cult cover and bring the house down, only to follow it with a bit of Bauhaus and clear the pub! 

1932640258_DDMarch22b.jpg.979f3bb072a9192d3d7f54f7200374ad.jpg

765685656_DDMarch22.thumb.jpeg.da6da24dfea809919104b935937f2b5f.jpeg

• Like 6