Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Long day. Lots of waiting (wedding gig) to get going. Once we were up it was brilliant; literally the whole room was jumping up and down. DJ went missing at a critics point, so we had an extended jam at the end of Prince's 1999 (last song in the first set), but a brilliant gig.
Got home at 2am :(

[attachment=224181:IMG_4868.JPG]

So last night was a triple whammy of new things - 1) I was back on the Hofner with my long scale version of my old "bass that got away", 2) I debuted my Ampeg head and it sounded *sweet* and 3) against all common sense I flightcased the amp so had fun and games getting it in and out of the car!

I've been really back into playing so practiced like crazy ahead of the show and consequently I don't recall making a mistake all night.Who knew, practice does help ;)

One minor niggle was we'd given up our backline as headliners and one band who I won't name were so up themselves the bassist just assumed, didn't thank me and didn't treat my kit with any respect. If I play with them again he can go through the PA. Needless to say they disappeared the second they finished playing. Thankfully the other band were very cool.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1469346138' post='3097467']

So last night was a triple whammy of new things - 1) I was back on the Hofner with my long scale version of my old "bass that got away"
[/quote]

That Hofner looks amazing. I really fancy a long scale hollow body, I might try one of those...

So, first ever proper pub gig with the band last night. Was more nervous than I realised when it came to the crunch and the first set was littered with mistakes and brain-farts but as has been said so many times on here before, the audience dont really notice. Far more relaxed in the second set and thoroughly enjoyed it. The landlord was obviously happy as well and booked us back in for 3rd September for more of the same. Result.

2nd gig with the new band, the singer woke up that morning having lost his voice, so we worked out what songs he couldn't sing that we could and decided to go for it anyway. New pub owner, birthday party gig, went down a storm everyone seemed to love it, and by the second half the singers voice had come back, so I didn't have to sing the ones that I had been allotted, result!

As soon as we finished, the landlady came up to rebook us (technically they hadn't in the first place, it was the birthday guy, but they decided to) and got us back there for NYE!

played private party in a huge modern barn two ifor trailers to make up a stage platform - the singers and guitar and sax had a nice time but meself and the keyboard shared the rear trailer with thumper so our rigs were bouncing around in a rather lively fashion - second time of using a hay bale as a cab stand - auralex better watch out i might be marketing this idea, great sound projection and isolation from the floor - was surprisingly cool and airy inside considering it had been over 26 degrees all afternoon

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1469346138' post='3097467']

So last night was a triple whammy of new things - 1) I was back on the Hofner with my long scale version of my old "bass that got away", 2) I debuted my Ampeg head and it sounded *sweet* and 3) against all common sense I flightcased the amp so had fun and games getting it in and out of the car!

I've been really back into playing so practiced like crazy ahead of the show and consequently I don't recall making a mistake all night.Who knew, practice does help ;)

One minor niggle was we'd given up our backline as headliners and one band who I won't name were so up themselves the bassist just assumed, didn't thank me and didn't treat my kit with any respect. If I play with them again he can go through the PA. Needless to say they disappeared the second they finished playing. Thankfully the other band were very cool.
[/quote]

I am generally always happy for other bands to use my amp but i do like at least some common courtesy and a bit of respect for the kit.

I did a little solo acoustic set at a bar called The Atic in Banbury. I was in two minds about playing as I was literally exhausted after a crazy week. I never play well when I'm tired, but I played and I wasn't great. Not happy. The moral of the story: get more sleep.

Last night was probably our last gig for a while in our current incarnation as one of our singers is about to take herself off travelling for up to a year. It was in a pub next to York racecourse on race day, so judging by the punters walking past, some alcohol may have been taken ;) . We were a bit nervous and our tech for the night had some teething problems, but once we got going, we had a hoot. All a bit emotional and end of an era feeling - we're all buddies. We do have another singer (another buddy) lined up as a dep for a few months.

Headlined a local music festival. Played an hour long set up til 10.30 curfew. Went down very well. Lots of people wanting cards etc and booked straight away to headline next year. Only bad bit was moths. They had a big lighting rig which attracted swarms of the damn things. Singer swallowed one, I got one in my eye and down my shirt while the drummer was trying to swat as many as he could.

Friday a local one for us at the Freebird Newcaslte Under Lyme as the headline act. All the band played great but as per when last on most punters left, slightly deflating but our new drummer played a blinder so every cloud :) We also landed a few nice comments at the end which is cool.

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1467651869' post='3085167']
Not last night but Saturday afternoon, although this is the first opportunity I have considered myself safe to operate a keyboard having spent the weekend at the Derbyshire Sausage and Cider Festival. The Badly Stuffed Bears played the Saturday afternoon to a great, welcoming, and MASSIVE crowd. Only our second gig with our new drummer and keys, the rehearsals have definitely payed off in our performance, the energy levels have been upped and having keys means Henry can be more fluid in what he does; not just bashing our chords but more lead breaks and interacting with the crowd without there being sudden 'emptiness' as perhaps was likely in the past.

Of course, we were camping out, we got paid, the organisers got the money back through increased cider sales and I got a hangover and a long lie-down in a darkened room. A couple of photos...

[/quote]

Looks like an awesome gig.

Blue

Our wedding gig last night was dominated by the dreaded decibel meter, unfortunately. We triggered it during the first track and from then on had to be on constant watch. No way to bypass it. However, the crowd didn't seem to mind and it caused some fun banter.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1469353699' post='3097549']
So, first ever proper pub gig with the band last night.Result.
[/quote]

I see you passed on the drugs and alcohol advice. Double dunt next time :lol:

Glad it went well and more importantly that you enjoyed it. Hope it's the first of many.

Last night wasn't great, it's a band myself and the guitarist from our main band play in from time to time, but we've not done a gig in the best part of a year. So, between not playing these songs live for a while, the heat and humidity, having to drag all the gear up two narrow flights of stairs and having done about six hours of driving that day, we made a few daft mistakes.

The guitarist and I weren't too pleased with the performance, but the party (30th birthday party for the singer's sister) were happy, so okay I guess.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1469385030' post='3097899']
Last night wasn't great, it's a band myself and the guitarist from our main band play in from time to time, but we've not done a gig in the best part of a year. So, between not playing these songs live for a while, the heat and humidity, having to drag all the gear up two narrow flights of stairs and having done about six hours of driving that day, we made a few daft mistakes.

The guitarist and I weren't too pleased with the performance, but the party (30th birthday party for the singer's sister) were happy, so okay I guess.
[/quote]

After many years, it still amazes me how bad I think a gig has gone but how great the audience thought it was! There seems to be little correlation between the two.

First gig of the Rock n Roll Outlaws second life. Good gig, but fsr too loud.
Even with ear plugs, there were moments of physical disorientation.
Hot, sweaty, everything a rocking pub gig should be. And there was sufficient interest that it had to be ticketed to limit numbers! So, nicely remunerative also.
Result!

Played a gig this afternoon at a local music festival in Leicester called Simon Says, headlined by the Wonderstuff.

We were on the larger of two outdoor stages mid afternoon. It's the most fun, chilled gig I've ever played.

A few hundred people scattered on the grass enjoying the sunshine, including all our various wives, girlfriends, toddlers etc. We only had a 30 minute slot as a fairly lowly, but well thought of, originals band, but managed to do a seven song set, six of which were brand new tunes we've been working on. It went down a storm!

The supplied back line was an ampeg 8x10 cab and a big Orange valve head (AD200?) which was the best bass sound I've ever had live (paired with my 1970 P bass for sonic bliss)

I bought into the vibe by playing barefoot with painted toenails, courtesy of my missus.

What an absolutely cool day out.

So after a no show on Friday we then had an agency gig at a miners welfare on Sat. Usual boomy wodden stage wghich was very long but about 6ft deep so the drum kit was miles forward of where it should be, caused sound problems all night. We were just a side show to the bingo like any other act that plays there, you just do it and move on.
Last night we werent at our best, me in particular (had a bad back all weekend) but the punters were loving it and lots of very positive feedback from experienced guys we know in other bands who happened to come along which is more reassuring than the 'youre the best band weve had in ages' from the drunk in the gents which you naturally take with a pinch of salt. The main point was the venue immediately rebooked us (at a higher fee) for October, which was nice.

Wedding gig in marquee at post country house hotel with worst in-house 'PA' I've ever encountered: four down-pointing flat speakers across the front of the dance floor, 90db compression limiter, no monitoring possible, we had to set up across the side of the dancefloor, at 90 degrees to the line of the PA speakers. You could hear people's feet shuffling on the dancefloor. We switched to the singer's solo acoustic set early doors so we could have a look at the in-house setup, and managed to get a bit more out of it, and the gig improved from there. Early finish ruined by the A1 being completely closed at Scotch Corner, the diversions were nonexistent, it took 45 miles and an hour and a quarter to get back onto the A1 ten miles south at Leeming. Pfffftttt...

On the upside, I sounded great... :D

Friday night excellent, Saturday night not so much.

Local-ish pub on Friday night 10pm start - dancers from start to finish, nice load in/out. Top.

Saturday night - Engagement party, upstairs in a golf club. Got there for 7, start time 8:30. Basically ignored by the entire room for the whole gig. Then got a message from the girl on Sunday saying she wasn't happy, she didn't think she got 'value for money' from us.

Might have helped if the couple and all of their TOWIE wannabe friends hadn't segregated themselves in one corner of the room (I mean like 20 yards away from ANYONE ELSE) and ignored all of the other people (and the band) who showed up for their party. They were more bothered about having their photos taken / taking selfies than getting on the dance floor and enjoying themselves. Didn't they think that [i]maybe [/i]if they got up and had a bit of a dance, then [i]maybe [/i]their guests [i]might [/i]have joined in and that [i]might [/i]have got it going a bit??

And here's the other thing - No one spoke to any band members on the night about feeling disappointed with any aspect of our performance..we did our full set and played music through the PA whilst packing down, always leaving room for potential dancers (there were no dancers) Which is what was agreed.

Basically their party was rubbish and they chose to blame us. We provided the entertainment, but they chose to not be entertained. What's the old saying? You can lead a horse to water......?