Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1470556215' post='3106628']
OK gig last night, never looked like it was going to be busy (BBQ weather) and you do wonder why some of these out of the way places actually bother putting music on but we gave it our best shot. A few tech glitches with gear in second set (none of mine though) but nothing major, they ended up giving us more than the agreed fee at the end and will give us a repeat booking for next year which was nice. I had played there before with another band playing totally different genre of music but I don't think it was that busy then either. Bit of a break to recharge batteries then a few more higher profile gigs toward end of month.
[/quote]

We have had some event gigs like a BBQ and beer fest and yes, it's not really a music crowd and you wonder why they even book live music.

We play and deliver our best either way, and were happy to take the $500.00

Blue

Having come off tour, we played well every night. So here's 6 entries in one;

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]Leicester - Great stage, great sound and as near perfect as any show I've done.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
Edinburgh - Hot, sweaty. Great support band. My debut in Scotland. [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
Inverness - Acoustic double bass show. Once we got the loud drunk guy to quieten down, superb.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
Stornaway - Rivaling Leicester for stage and sound. Did well selling merch.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
Tartan Hear Festival - Great crowd dancing in the rain. [/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=4]
Retford - Played a real church. Amazing sound and stage.[/size][/font][/color]

Despite several misgivings during all the rehearsals leading up to it, last night's gig turned out to be a corker. I think I felt like a proper bass player for the first time in the five years since I first started out.

We're a Stones covers band, playing anything from 'Satisfaction' to 'Doom and Gloom'.
Very small venue, packed out with friends, family and regular supporters, so the atmosphere was great. I felt relaxed enough to rock out a bit so it was all really enjoyable

To add interest to the evening, the audience included my Ex, my Boss and the estimable Kev B from BC who has threatened to post a pic or two, so watch this space! :-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1471081726' post='3110381']
Despite several misgivings during all the rehearsals leading up to it, last night's gig turned out to be a corker. I think I felt like a proper bass player for the first time in the five years since I first started out.

We're a Stones covers band, playing anything from 'Satisfaction' to 'Doom and Gloom'.
Very small venue, packed out with friends, family and regular supporters, so the atmosphere was great. I felt relaxed enough to rock out a bit so it was all really enjoyable

To add interest to the evening, the audience included my Ex, my Boss and the estimable Kev B from BC who has threatened to post a pic or two, so watch this space! :-)
[/quote]

Well done Shell!! It's a good feeling innit!!

I was en route home from a few days away down south so it seemed polite to drop in and see 'our shell' who did a sterling job up against a stageful of people likely to compromise the bass region (sax and keyboards as well as two guitars). Bass cut through nicely though, could hear every note. here's a couple of snaps of the lady in action:
[URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/Shell%202_zpsw9epjfe2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/Shell%202_zpsw9epjfe2.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/KevB64/media/Shell%201_zpsb0o8ee6s.jpg.html][IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/KevB64/Shell%201_zpsb0o8ee6s.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1471100340' post='3110546']
Well, that's no good - you don't look anything like Bill Wyman.
[/quote]

Yeh, but I was trying to get my bass up at the correct angle in the second picture. Haven't perfected the laconic stare into the distance yet though! :D

Gig at the Green Meadows festival yesterday could have been very poor after almost no sleep the night before (thanks to a Bunch of Bu%%£rs from Bicester yakking loudly till 5am in the tent next to mine).
However, our 2nd rehearsal of the year before hand went well, sound was excellent, PETA didn't throw blood on our singer for wearing his nan's 70 year old mink coat, and a number of punters came up afterwards and said we were the best band of the festival (UJahm hadn't played yet!), and it's possible our next gig (we don't do many, got to keep the fan wanting more) is going to be Glastonbury next year...

Cello outing - end of summer school concert playing a very interesting and tricky) piece of Piazolla - his [url="https://youtu.be/dMXoyJ8P1oE"]Tangazo[/url]
It has cellos and basses growling away at the bottom at the start and livens up around 4.5 mins in. This was followed by da Falla's Seven Chansons and all of Haydn's symphony 101 (The Clock).

There was plenty of stuff for DB through the week one way or another.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1471252723' post='3111495']
Farmer Phil's festival yesterday. A bit of an odd one but good fun. Quite reassuring to know I can nail a gig while still recovering from the night before
[/quote]

what band are you in if you don't mind me asking, we (folkthesystem) played on the sunday eve at farmer phils oo, wicked festival but i'd drawn the short straw and had to drive home after the leylines set.

[quote name='Tony p' timestamp='1471343369' post='3112254']
what band are you in if you don't mind me asking, we (folkthesystem) played on the sunday eve at farmer phils oo, wicked festival but i'd drawn the short straw and had to drive home after the leylines set.
[/quote]

Headsticks, we were first on so not the fullest crowd!!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1471507407' post='3113463']
Headsticks, we were first on so not the fullest crowd!!
[/quote]

slightly subdued and hungover too i would think....i saw your band mentioned in ferocious blog, i'll have a look at your fb page when i get a chance. i didn't get there till late sunday afternoon so only caught a few bands.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1471528903' post='3113715']
yeh he's mentioned us a few times. I think there are some friendly connections going on somewhere :)

Anyway, maybe see you at one of these "folk punk" gigs, we seem to be getting loads at the moment!
[/quote]

haha, i'm sure we'll bump into each other at some point, every one seems to end up knowing everyone in the grassroots festy scene...

Played The Sanctuary in Basingstoke over the weekend; decent little DIY/alt venue with friendly, well organised promoters so that always makes a nice change! The heavy/alternative scene seems more popular there than in Reading which I thought was odd as the towns are quite close but Reading is much bigger, probably down to said promoter!

The gig was fun & we played with some great bands (always a gamble on multi-band nights) - the only downside was lack of space in the car meant I agreed to use the house bass cab rather than taking my own & it was awful (I actually think it was broken) but no harm done as it seemed fine FoH. Lesson leant though; next time the guitarist can have one of my cabs on his lap in the car if we run out of space!

Next up - trying to organise a mini-tour up north! If anyone has any dive-bar contacts at venues suitable for a metal-hardcore band please hit me up!

Just back from our gig in Abingdon, poor load in facilities frustrated us as always there, plus playing in a fenced in corner of a corridor, but we played OK, even thought drummer and myself couldn't hear the vocals or guitar due to the shape of the stage! Used my 'new' Ashdown Touring 330 combo for the first time live, very impressive with my P bass going through it. Will use the same gear on Sunday when we play for the St Helena gathering in Reading (two of the band are St. Helenians)

The usual: hot and sweaty cocktail bar.
the unusual: 'mod' weekend on the Isle of Wight, meaning there were 5000 or so scooterists in the space of a square mile, so it was absolutely heaving.
Also, I borrowed a Roland Bass Cube 100 as there was no parking and I had a bit of a walk. I'm really impressed by it, no PA support, volume on half and it filled a decent size room. It was a loud gig too.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1472282667' post='3119986']
The usual: hot and sweaty cocktail bar.
the unusual: 'mod' weekend on the Isle of Wight, meaning there were 5000 or so scooterists in the space of a square mile, so it was absolutely heaving.
Also, I borrowed a Roland Bass Cube 100 as there was no parking and I had a bit of a walk. I'm really impressed by it, no PA support, volume on half and it filled a decent size room. It was a loud gig too.
[/quote]

Yes, great piece of kit. I've been very impressed with mine after 10 years of service. If it had a built in tuner like the Roland micro cube it'd be perfect. Never been fashionable though.

Just got back from a function at a village hall. As soon as we finished our encore our drummer and one of our singers got into and argument which resulted in the singer storming off in a huff and our drummer resigning with immediate effect. Apart from that it was a good gig.

Nice wedding last night, good crowd, very sweaty though - it was very humid.

We had a drummer we'd not used before, his playing was tight and solid, but he was young and inexperienced, so I spent a lot of the gig helping him with the arrangements, but he did well overall. The new songs we've recently brought in are starting to sound good, particualarly the Coldplay one - Adventure Of A Lifetime.

Had some problems with my pedalboard unfortunately, switched off the envelope filter and then my signal started dropping in and out. Ended up bypassing most of my board and just used the tuner and the switchable drive circuit on my GK head. Not ideal, but got me through the set - hopefully just a dodgy interconnect cable, I'll try and work it out this afternoon before tonight's gig.

Tonight is a pub gig at our local, hopefully be a good one with the bank holiday.

Last night's stage:

[Img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/Ghost_Upon_The_Stage/20160827_195734_zps3eex0jyh.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

Edited by Graham

Just joined temporarily a ska/reggae band while their bass player is out of action (a few months), had a first gig at a festival last weekend, and now we just returned from a 'minitour', driving with the van down to gigs in Nuneaton, Kidderminster and Rugby on Friday and Saturday. 1h first on the Friday gig, 2h gigs on Saturday... I'm tired but it was a blast. This band usually has just a saxophone but occasionally gets other btass players, and a regular collaborator joined us for these gigs... 'Big' Jim Paterson on trombone. What a guy!!! He was a amazing. I had such a huge grin just listening to the sax and trombone together and exchanging solos... plus the guy is one of the nicest guys I've ever met around the 'musician' environment. I'm still high on music. Or maybe it's lack of sleep :lol:

The last gig was at a bar in Rugby, The London House Skabar. I played without PA support, with two TKS S112 and the MarkBass LM3, no wall reinforcement... and it sounded awesome, no lack of volume either. One of the best sounding gigs I've had, from a bass point of view. I love these cabs.