Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Fri night at a regular haunt, but we were down 1 guitarist due to illness so set was drastically re jigged. Had a tip from a group, that one of theirs was a singer, could we invite her up, turns out she is a OPERA singer.....and a bit tiddly, and very shy, she came up in the break and crooned 'Summertime (and the living is easy)' with me and the drummer just winging it in the background. What a voice! Weirdest thing I've ever done but gave a great rapport with the crowd, and we had a great night. Its always good when people dance but said opera singer was ON IT after her spot :)

Good night last night to a partisan crowd in Nuneaton now just got back from playing an afternoon beer festival set close to where I live, got good feedback from both gigs and maybe some contacts or other gigs off the back of them, all good. Only slight downside was moaning minnie doing between band announcements saying we were too loud. There were people with infants at all the front 3 tables in front of stage, not one of them moved, flinched or covered any childs ears at any point in either set. Apparently it was 'better second set once we turned down'. Except we didnt change any settings from one set to the other :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1472387128' post='3120693']
Just joined temporarily a ska/reggae band while their bass player is out of action (a few months), had a first gig at a festival last weekend, and now we just returned from a 'minitour', driving with the van down to gigs in Nuneaton, Kidderminster and Rugby on Friday and Saturday. 1h first on the Friday gig, 2h gigs on Saturday... I'm tired but it was a blast. This band usually has just a saxophone but occasionally gets other btass players, and a regular collaborator joined us for these gigs... 'Big' Jim Paterson on trombone. What a guy!!! He was a amazing. I had such a huge grin just listening to the sax and trombone together and exchanging solos... plus the guy is one of the nicest guys I've ever met around the 'musician' environment. I'm still high on music. Or maybe it's lack of sleep :lol:

The last gig was at a bar in Rugby, The London House Skabar. I played without PA support, with two TKS S112 and the MarkBass LM3, no wall reinforcement... and it sounded awesome, no lack of volume either. One of the best sounding gigs I've had, from a bass point of view. I love these cabs.
[/quote]

Sounds like a cool weekend. Fun, great story.

Blue

Played yesterday afternoon to the annual gather of 'Saints' (people from the South Atlantic island of St Helena), with two saints in the band, we always get a good reception there. Good sound, the two one hour sets flew by and I wanted to play more, but the others had had enough. My Ashdown touring 330 comb is turning out to be a real powerhouse, and a real bargain. Heavy bugger, though!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1472455931' post='3121148']
just a quick 75 minutes at the end of the day but i thnk we got away with it again :ph34r:

[/quote]

Looking good :)

Last night was a pub we like to play, crowd was a bit sparser than usual there, but I guess bank holiday sunday is a bit un-predictable down south (my wife tells me up Middlesbrough way it's THE night to go out). However, once the crowd warmed up they were really into it and we played a belter, so had a real blast. Had some really complementary comments at the end, and hopefully picked up a couple of private bookings off the back of last night.

One punter had clearly drunk a few too many shandies as he managed to fall into the monitor and knock over the singer's mic/Ipad stand not once, but three times; the singer handled it far calmer than I thought he would, fortunately no damage to his ipad.

I was really happy with my tone last night, after the pedalboard problems I'd had on Saturday I stripped it back to just a tuner and used the footswitchable onboard drive of my MB500. It sounded great and got very positive comments from the singer and guitarist; I'll spend some time adjusting the pole-piece hights on my pickups to compensate for the lack of compresssion and will need to work on my right hand technique a little now that safety net's gone - but improving your technique is only a good thing and I don't need to carry a pedalboard for now, which is always welcome.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1472415542' post='3120994']
Sounds like a cool weekend. Fun, great story.

Blue
[/quote]

Thanks, it was fun :)

and a video that I cannot find how to embed here:

[media]http://www.facebook.com/rob.bache/videos/1504131166267545/[/media]

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472557878' post='3122061']

Why not?

Here this weekend (just gone) was a bank holiday, so there tends to be more gigs, as people have the monday off to recover!
[/quote]

We usually play most Friday and Saturday nights. I think a few members had the weekend blocked for vacation.

Blue

Just back from a new venue, good pub gig, easy load in/out, good locals (plus a few friends of the band) and pretty decent sound. Couple of hour plus sets, at the end of which the landlady was standing there with the gig money and her diary to rebook us. If only they could all be like that!

Tonights gig was quite good - short for us at 2.5 hours. This group plays long, not Blue long, but long for a UK band.

And it seemed to go down well, because they offered us another gig and gave us another £50 on top of the normal fee because "we were worth it", without us asking. So I guess they must mean it!

Back at one of old haunts and we too played for two and a half hours. Unfortunately, someone has moved next door to the venue and has been complaining about the noise from the pub (not just bands either, recorded music played during a lunchtime BBQ) so the council have been involved. Why on earth do people move to these locations knowing full well it'll be noisy, it's stupidness beyond measure? Maybe they like closing down music venues as a pastime - b@5tards! Anyhoo, it was a good gig and I have finally managed to play Wherever I Lay My Hat live and it went down a storm, much to my surprise.

After our annual August layoff we had a great gig last night night for a private party in a pub in town , it was in an upstairs function room and we were recommended by the landlord,

It was a touch bizarre as there was a band downstairs aswell , upstairs, the party had opened the windows so when you looked out you could see the street rocking and the first floor bar in the hotel across the road had its windows open and they were shouting requests and rocking out aswell !!

We have been invited 'darn sarf' to do a party 'at a large house in the country' but we'll wait till they sober up on that one, still we are back at the pub in a fortnight to resume our duties for the punters downstairs , can't wait :D

Our gig last night at a city centre boozer was utterly ridiculous but somehow worked a beauty.

We had no drummer, as none of the deps were available. So we went on as a trio, with piano, acoustic guitar/vocals, and me.

I spent the night sitting on a Cajon, with a tambourine on my foot, playing bass, harmonica and vocals, and switching between the Cajon and the bass throughout it and trying our best to interpret most of our usual set.

On paper it shouldn't have worked at all. But the place was rammed, helped by a large drunk hen party who kindly put a big blow up cock onstage in front of me while I was singing Respect by Erasure. Nice touch. At some point my neighbours and their whole extended family randomly came by, as did half of my other band who happened to be out in town on the lash.

But somehow it all worked and the floor was packed all night.
My hands are killing from flailing away on that Cajon all evening tho. Was wise enough to take my wedding ring off first.

Amusing night.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1472949958' post='3125595']
Back at one of old haunts and we too played for two and a half hours. Unfortunately, someone has moved next door to the venue and has been complaining about the noise from the pub (not just bands either, recorded music played during a lunchtime BBQ) so the council have been involved. Why on earth do people move to these locations knowing full well it'll be noisy, it's stupidness beyond measure?
[/quote]

Thats why we played for 2.5 hours. We normally do longer, 9:30 to way past 1 but the venue (a pub on a corner down in the center of town) has had noise complains and visits from the council with threats of 20k fines. So we started earlier, before 9, had a 5 minute break half way through with a curfew of 11:30, which we got within 10 minutes of, to calls for encores that we weren't allowed to do!
Obviously before 9, there was practically noone there, but it did busy up past 10.
The irony is, on leaving the venue half an hour afterwards the music from the pub on the next corner that has no noise complaints (we have played there too) was pretty loud.

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472980825' post='3125677']
The irony is, on leaving the venue half an hour afterwards the music from the pub on the next corner that has no noise complaints (we have played their too) was pretty loud.
[/quote]Well this pub is on a very, very noisy one way system with a massive 24 hour Tesco opposite and an endless stream of blues and twos. I heard that this new neighbour has been complained about by the folk who were already living there. I wonder if people actually do any 'due diligence' before buying a new property?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1472981243' post='3125681']
Well this pub is on a very, very noisy one way system with a massive 24 hour Tesco opposite and an endless stream of blues and twos. I heard that this new neighbour has been complained about by the folk who were already living there. I wonder if people actually do any 'due diligence' before buying a new property?
[/quote]

a year or so ago we had a spate of this thing and this started appearing around town :D

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1472982166' post='3125694']
No laughing? Wtf that's a bit repressive isn't it? Idiots.
[/quote]I think it's meant to be ironic, at least I hope so. At least it's OK for singing and anything other than rock.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1472981243' post='3125681']
Well this pub is on a very, very noisy one way system with a massive 24 hour Tesco opposite and an endless stream of blues and twos.
[/quote]

Are we in the same pub? Yes, the big 24 hour tesco here is directly over the road!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1472987816' post='3125747']

Are we in the same pub? Yes, the big 24 hour tesco here is directly over the road!
[/quote]Hmm, music pubs and 24 hour Tescos, sounds like a conspiracy ;) We were in Purley, Surrey (for a value of Surrey).

Edited by ezbass