Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1464602480' post='3060612']
Not without running a 30 foot ext cable across the pub floor and then having to overload it with about 8 plugs. :(
[/quote]

Yep - thats what we did. Except it was about 60 foot and 12 plugs!

-

and the plug that it was put in to a double adapter that was charging someones phone :lol:

Edited by Woodinblack

Played at The Gladstone Arms in South London last night - a bit of a trek from my adopted hometown of Leicester, but what a great night out.

It's an excellent, tiny pub, which puts on live music a few nights a week, serves delicious pies with mash and mushy peas, and serves really nice real ale.

I was playing with my original band, and it went down brilliantly - always encouraging to see the audience actually watching and listening, rather than just drunk people chattering among themselves. It's small enough to be intimate and engaging too.

Shifted a good few CDs too, which helped finance the whole trip. Didn't get home till 2am so enjoying my bonus bank holiday Monday off work...

Not last night but sat night. Back at the Turks Head in Darlington a really good venue that we play maybe twice a year. Good up for it crowd. We finished around 12.30 then landlord Ronnie and his partner Hayley dragged us all out to a rock night in a local club. Rolled out of there around 4.30 and back to the Turks. Finally hit our sleeping bags on the pub floor around 5 a.m. for about four hours sleep then packing all the gear and going home. Only just recovering now! Think I am getting too old for this :(

We had 4 good weekends in a row, sound was good and the band was playing on all 6 cylinders.

But last night,it wasn't really happening for me. Couple of things, the stage volume and sound was sort of weird for me. I couldn't hear or feel any punch.

Respectable crowd, but not "our crowd". It was a young crowd and the venue normally books more traditional cover bands.

Bon Jovi, Van Halen not Peter Greene, Robin Trower. So what can you do? We had fun.

Blue

Played a pub in Macclesfield on Saturday night. Bar owner warned us it was likely to be quiet being a bank holiday - he was right!

Bit of an odd one for me though - I played an absolute nightmare - timing was all over, brain fade on songs I've been playing for years and don't get me started on the opening 4 bars of Californication... Absolutely the worst I've played live since picking my bass back up a few years ago.

Need to do a bit of thinking about why it was so bad though - I think I was just tired, hadn't slept well the two previous nights.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1464677319' post='3061254']
I think I was just tired, hadn't slept well the two previous nights.
[/quote]

That would almost certainly be the problem. Lack of sleep messes with the ability to concentrate, big time.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1464678277' post='3061259']
That would almost certainly be the problem. Lack of sleep messes with the ability to concentrate, big time.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm normally pretty tight (despite to occasional bum note) but I didn't even have that! Amazing how hard it can be when your confidence is knocked though. Felt quite down on the way home after - I expect more from myself.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1464610863' post='3060743']
Yep - thats what we did. Except it was about 60 foot and 12 plugs!

-

and the plug that it was put in to a double adapter that was charging someones phone :lol:

:lol:
[/quote]

last Friday with a blues band I play in

It's a regular Friday evening gig at a local British legion type club with three bar lounge areas. The gig takes place in the basement area which has a stage. The organiser gets a headliner band and other solo or smaller acts. I turned up at 9pm for a 9.30pm start, there are 4 people there, all fellow musicians. A couple of solo sets and then we do a 30 minute set 9.30 to 10pm, by which time there are about 15 people mainly fellow musicians. Come off at 10pm and then wait till 11.30pm to do our last set. Between 10 and 11.30 there are numerous other acts. Then we do our final set by which time there are about 10 people mostly fellow musicians.

We don't get paid.

Our audience is mainly fellow musicians who have seen us before

There is no chance of getting any paid work at the venue, they don't pay musicians

There is no chance that anyone seeing us will book us for paid work, they are mostly fellow musicians, if they hear of any gigs they will put themselves not yes in.

So what is the point?

Personally I get little reward from playing to other musicians.

I will be insisting we do not play here again.

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1464797605' post='3062680']

It's a regular Friday evening gig at a local British legion type club with three bar lounge areas. The gig takes place in the basement area which has a stage. The organiser gets a headliner band and other solo or smaller acts. I turned up at 9pm for a 9.30pm start, there are 4 people there, all fellow musicians. A couple of solo sets and then we do a 30 minute set 9.30 to 10pm, by which time there are about 15 people mainly fellow musicians. Come off at 10pm and then wait till 11.30pm to do our last set. Between 10 and 11.30 there are numerous other acts. Then we do our final set by which time there are about 10 people mostly fellow musicians.

We don't get paid.

There is no chance of getting any paid work at the venue, they don't pay musicians

There is no chance that anyone seeing us will book us for paid work, they are mostly fellow musicians, if they hear of any gigs they will put themselves not yes in.

So what is the point?

[/quote]

That would work for me!

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1464797605' post='3062680']

We don't get paid.

So what is the point?

[/quote]

Good idea.

They don't pay musicians? Screw them, that's what I say.

Blue

Slightly odd one last night. We played better as a band than last weekend but didn't get as good a response from the audience. However this was a WMC type venue and the set is pretty genre specific so it's always a bit of a lottery as to how you go down. There were a couple of ageing rockers at the bar loving it though :drinks: Booking via an agent so you have to trust them that they think you are a good fit for the venue and it was a good fee. Playing again tonight so it's onward and upward.

A great night. A first gig for the venue (a small hotel in a smallish town) recently taken over by a young couple who want to put the work in and make it a success (unusual for here)

Very tight for space and needed to keep the volume right down. Average audience age of 50 - 60. Originally going to play outside but we're in monsoon season here, known locally as "summer"

I loved the challenge of keeping volumes to a minimum and have to say, our drummer and guitarist were very sensible in that respect. Kept the whole "up for it" crowd there until 12.30 and the owners were over the moon.

Just back from a gig that was booked only on Wednesday. Central Swindon (a nightmare to get around) and an interesting gig...good venue, PA and good sound man, so we took backline only. Having struggled with a dodgy right hand to load my gear, I was disappointed when my Ashdown ABM 500 made a bloody awful noise during the first two numbers. Quick change of leads failed to improve matters, so resorted to my DI box, which saved the day. We had to stop during the first set while the police removed a punter who climbed on stage to talk to us while we were playing and then managed to fall over at the edge of the stage and knock himself senseless in the process! Fights were breaking out outside the pub as we finished pacing up, but despite all that, we had a good gig!

Soundman reckoned my Ashdown has a broken joint on the input jack, so I'll try to get that fixed next week.

Oh, and the guy who wandered across the stage trying to talk while we were playing before knocking himself out when he fell was trying to buy us all drinks and wanted to know what we wanted, according to our drummer who's from the same part of the world as him.

Edited by FinnDave

More enjoyable gig last night to a more responsive crowd. A bit less money (for those avid readers of the interminable 'playing gigs for nowt' thread ;) ) compared with the previous night but much more local so lower travel expenses, I guess it all evens out.Only 3rd gig with new band but it's starting to gel I think, singer has already commented that my bass is more of a driving presence in the sound compared to the others they have had. Slightly nervous moment when another bassist showed up on one of his non gigging nights. Very good and hugely experienced player so felt a bit under the microscope. He stayed the full 2 sets (I've seen him walk out on bands I've been watching myself in the past) and he was complimentary about the band when I chatted to him afterwards. Good feedback from other punters too. Only downside was I 'lost' my car keys, must have come out of my pocket as I wrestled my wallet out at the half time interval, gasping for a drink (it had turned warmer and more humid during the day yesterday, warm gig). No one at the bar had anything handed in, all my gear needing to be packed away. The drummer offered to drive me home to pick up my spare set of keys and suddenly hey presto someone who had come to see the band found them in bushes at the back of the pub, no way I lost them out there. I think someone had picked them up maybe with intent on coming back to take the car later and panicked or just for the hell of it threw them away. All a bit bizarre but it delayed me packing up by over half an hour, not what you want after a couple of sets requiring a bit of concentration. Enjoyable gig all round though, would play there again if they rebook us.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1465090998' post='3065247']
Just back from a gig that was booked only on Wednesday. Central Swindon (a nightmare to get around) and an interesting gig...good venue, PA and good sound man, so we took backline only. Having struggled with a dodgy right hand to load my gear, I was disappointed when my Ashdown ABM 500 made a bloody awful noise during the first two numbers. Quick change of leads failed to improve matters, so resorted to my DI box, which saved the day. We had to stop during the first set while the police removed a punter who climbed on stage to talk to us while we were playing and then managed to fall over at the edge of the stage and knock himself senseless in the process! Fights were breaking out outside the pub as we finished pacing up, but despite all that, we had a good gig!

Soundman reckoned my Ashdown has a broken joint on the input jack, so I'll try to get that fixed next week.

Oh, and the guy who wandered across the stage trying to talk while we were playing before knocking himself out when he fell was trying to buy us all drinks and wanted to know what we wanted, according to our drummer who's from the same part of the world as him.
[/quote]

That part of town is a pub ghetto and well known for getting a bit, ahem, 'lively'!

Saturday was an outdoor festival, back of a lorry. Great weather and atmosphere but awful sound. The PA was on the stage and I think this was adding to problems. The drumkit wouldn't stay still. When will I learn to reject the supplied "shells" and just put my own kit on?

Last night was better, great sound indoors at the Hare and Hounds.

Outdoor gig on saturday, destroyed my finger as usual due to the nuts right hand technique I use in this band (think Bernard Edward's chucking but on steroids and a bit crazier).

I also wore an amusing T-Shirt which those who know Glenn Fricker will recognise.
Here's a link to a pic (has to be a link as it contains swearing)
[url="https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13335842_1618202015071436_4858332849000123002_n.jpg?oh=4fa01db4a2aad0f2426760242a15a7ab&oe=5809C7E1"]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13335842_1618202015071436_4858332849000123002_n.jpg?oh=4fa01db4a2aad0f2426760242a15a7ab&oe=5809C7E1[/url]

First gig at a small pub with a horrible load in and no parking - but loopy, friendly locals who were really up for it from the off and rocked hard right to the end. Knew we were onto a winner when an old boy at the bar stood up and exclaimed 'Ozzy Osbourne!!' in pure delight as we kicked off one number.

I also discovered that wireless kits can be a mixed blessing, as when out and dancing with the crowd I was distracted from my playing by a large pair of tattooed bossoms being waved under my nose. Had to retreat before I dropped too many notes!

One lady even helped us load up the cars!

Crap money - don't care - can't wait to go back!

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1465205424' post='3065997']
Outdoor gig on saturday, destroyed my finger as usual due to the nuts right hand technique I use in this band (think Bernard Edward's chucking but on steroids and a bit crazier).

I also wore an amusing T-Shirt which those who know Glenn Fricker will recognise.
Here's a link to a pic (has to be a link as it contains swearing)
[url="https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13335842_1618202015071436_4858332849000123002_n.jpg?oh=4fa01db4a2aad0f2426760242a15a7ab&oe=5809C7E1"]https://scontent.xx....7ab&oe=5809C7E1[/url]
[/quote]

Hehe, yep, I have one of those too... :)

Interesting gig, biker bar festival. They had a band playinging outside under a tent, 5-9 and we played inside 9-1

Great crowd, the band was hot. At one point the small dance area was full and 7 people dancing on top of the bar.

I love gigs like this. Had so much fun. And to think I get paid to do this.

Blue

Edited by blue

Saturday we played at an annual mini festival / all dayer in one of our local pubs. We were the first electric band on (late afternoon) after a brace of acoustic acts so it was great to whack up the volume a bit. We had a blast, it was a beautiful warm day and it was great to see so many friends and family members there. It was also the first time my little boy has seen us live which made it extra special. We stuck around to watch the rest of the bands and to enjoy the BBQ and a few beers until the bitter end. Such a great day, lovely to be a part of it, definitely one to remember. Photos here if anybody gives a damn.

https://www.facebook.com/LadyGigger/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1306666542681486