Why become a member? ×

NBD - I know some BC members won't like it - but I do

Marc S

Well I never thought I'd get one of these - However, I had a noodle on one recently, and was rather taken by it.

I was never fussed on the shape / design of these, but one of my bands supported the brilliant Wigan folk band "Merry Hell" at Acapela Studios in Cardiff in December.

Their bassist had one of these and it sounded great. Chatting afterwards (he spoke very generously of my upright playing, which was really nice of him) anyhow, he was an interesting guy, and he handed me his bass, for a noodle.

I was absolutely amazed at how little it weighed, and how nice it felt to play. Now I know some BC folk will wonder why so many of us on here obsess about the weight of an instrument - but trust me, it can become an issue as you get older and / or injure a joint / muscle / ligament.

Also, I often double-up, playing upright for half a gig and Bass guitar the other half - and anything that helps reduce the weight of "stuff" I need to lug about is a blessing.

Given how good Merry Hell's bassist sounded - I thought I'd get one and give it a whirl. So far, so good - in fact, I'm pretty blown away by how comfortable it is to play. Balances nicely, the neck is slim, but doesn't feel as slim as a Hofner. The fret ends are all nicely finished. Due to the body shape, it's easy to reach the high end of the neck. 24 frets too btw - if you're inclined to reach that far! Lol. I really like the sound too.

BTW - anyone got any tips for short scale, low tension flatwounds that will wrap around the tiny guitar tuners?

20240127_121415~2.jpg

20240127_122435~2.jpg

20240127_121427~2.jpg

• Like 30

Just now, Len_derby said:

Brilliant, I love the look of these. In fact, getting one is really the only bass ‘itch’ I’ve got. Did you buy it new? They don’t seem to come up second-hand very often.

Hi Len.

I got it on this very forum. It had been up for sale a little while, and I thought it might have sold - but luckily it hadn't  😀 

I also meant to add to my post above, that unlike YouTube videos I'd seen, this one has the truss rod at the top end of the neck. With earlier models you had to take the neck off the body to adjust it. Its a 2 way truss rod as well.

• Like 1

I have a blueburst one of these, its a great bass that I'd be using a lot more were it not for my three JMJ Mustangs.

There's no need to replace the tuners — I use LaBella's danelectro-specific set of flatwounds and they are perfect.

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/la-bella-760-fd-dan-electro-stainless-flats/

760-FD-600x600-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I have a blueburst one of these, its a great bass that I'd be using a lot more were it not for my three JMJ Mustangs.

There's no need to replace the tuners — I use LaBella's danelectro-specific set of flatwounds and they are perfect.

https://www.bassdirect.co.uk/product/la-bella-760-fd-dan-electro-stainless-flats/

760-FD-600x600-1.jpg

I knew there would probably be a specific product available, especially given the existence of the Hofner violin, etc. 

• Like 1

I always thought they looked a bit 'weird' but I was impressed by the sound the bass player, Joey Spampinato, got on his Danelectro in 'Hail!, Hail! Rock 'N' Roll'.

I think he's the only person I've ever seen playing one.

So they may look a bit weird but apparently they sound pretty good.

• Like 1

I came within a whisker of buying the baritone guitar version of this a few weeks ago.

The only thing that stopped me was the lack of a trem, which which is something I'd like for the surf type music I want to use a baritone for.

I may well get a Long Horn bass at some point just because they look so cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

Brilliant, I love the look of these. In fact, getting one is really the only bass ‘itch’ I’ve got. Did you buy it new? They don’t seem to come up second-hand very often.

Spotted a fella selling a few of the 90s Korean versions and a more recent model on FB earlier today funnily enough, has a selection of colours.

• Like 3

I love a Dano bass. I have a Longhorn (ohh Matron!) and I'm currently refinishing a '56 bass. 

The biggest hurdle I found was making my brain not think it's a toy. They are so light and basic that it's easy to not trust it won't break (I play hard) but they'll happily handle what any other bass does. Then when I you do let rip, oh what a sound, everything from Foxton clank to Jamerson girth, but always with exceptional clarity. 

Enjoy your Longhorn. 

• Like 2

I played a Long Horn bass for awhile in the late 60's and know 2 people who use them now.

I was disappointed to find out they don't make a 5 string version.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

Nice work. They’re a heap of fun to play. Mine doesn’t get too much use, but I do love playing it when I get round to plugging it in. Given the weight and dimensions it’s also helpful for my lad to knock about on.

Re: strings, Shortscale GHS Precision flats also fit just fine on for the Longhorn, it’s what I have on mine. Outside of those and the LaBella strings though I’m not sure what else works.