Why become a member? ×

Taking the bass outside the house...

Bass Novice

When I bought my bass it came with a starter pack including a guitar bag, which I use when taking my bass to the lesson. A friend of mine plays electric guitar and he has a hard case he uses when going somewhere with his guitar. The electric guitar is shorter than a bass so it makes sense to have a hard case. I am a bit paranoid that I could damage my bass when going somewhere, what do you guys use to transport your bass? Do companies make practical hard cases for bass guitars?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bass Novice said:

When I bought my bass it came with a starter pack including a guitar bag, which I use when taking my bass to the lesson. A friend of mine plays electric guitar and he has a hard case he uses when going somewhere with his guitar. The electric guitar is shorter than a bass so it makes sense to have a hard case. I am a bit paranoid that I could damage my bass when going somewhere, what do you guys use to transport your bass? Do companies make practical hard cases for bass guitars?

For all but international flying, I'd say that a hard flight case is a bit overkill, and would suggest that a 'soft' hard case is a better solution, such as this one from Thomann (other cases and suppliers exist...)...

Harley Benton LightCase-El-Bass ...

It (or very similar...) is what we have been using for many years now, for guitars and basses, loading into tour buses, vans, public transport... It's all good. Hope this helps. :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

Gig bags for me, usually something like a Ritter with a reasonable amount of padding.

Being able to carry a bass on my back makes things so much easier IMHO.

Just watch your extra headroom !*

*Especially on the up escalator at Highbury & Islington tube - I swear they have a bit sticking out just to snare basses :)

• Like 2

When I bought my basses they came in gig bags or cases that are either too heavy or too flimsy. When I sell the basses they will be posted in the same bags/cases they arrived in, but while I'm gigging I use 2 light and strong Mono M80 Vertigo gig bags. 

• Like 1

Gig bag with decent padding for me . Having a hard case using the underground  or bus can be annoying to fellow commuters as well as yourself .

Even going into narrow rehearsal rooms can be a challenge with hard cases . Not good for shins ..

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

Gigbags now. I used to have a hard case but it fell apart after many years of use and i never replaced it. I have a custom flightcase for my Stingray but haven't used it since our previous drummer used to take us all to gigs in his van. It's really cumbersome and coffin like.

Edited by mep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bass Novice said:

...what do you guys use to transport your bass? Do companies make practical hard cases for bass guitars?

hi 

2nd question first - yes, they do - and it's worth looking around to see what's available. Can be a good investment/birthday present for keeping some nice basses stored in best condition. I have a case for my Yamaha which looks vacuum-formed to fit, and it's probably the only case i'd consider for transporting in lesson/practice/gig situations

In all other, er ...cases (sorry!), it's really a question of practicality and the robust lightness of gig bags just makes the whole transportation (and temporary, hide it behind the gear) aspect so much more manageable at gigs and practices

Ideal things to ask for as presents! (don't skimp!!!)

• Like 1

For rehearsals i uses a gig bag, to have a place for some pedals, cables and paper records. For gigs i uses Ibanez prestigue hard case + backpack for everything else. I don't own a car so i can't go to rehearsals with hard case, but gigs - yes, because transport is supported.

• Like 1

I have a couple of Fender FB620 gigbags. They are about £50 and excellent. The Mono M80 are probably the best gig bags but are around the £200+ mark.
Like Lozz said save the hardcases for touring as the are uncomfortable to carry long distances and you’ll keeping banging into things when you do (or maybe that’s just me!) 😂

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Like 1

One of the main factors will be how far the bass needs to be carried. 

If there is a significant distance then you'll want to carry as little weight as possible  - gigbag.

If it's not far from car to venue then maybe think about the hardcase but TBH I mainly use them for storing basses which aren't being used. 

• Like 1

I used to case all of my instruments, but these days a decent padded gig bag is all that I use.  I'm not touring in the back of a knackered Transit or owt like that, so my basses aren't exposed to the rigours of life on the road.  I'm careful with them when at gigs but so fat the gig bags (Fender 20mm padded jobs) have been fine; this is a good thing, because they cost an arm and a leg.

• Like 1

As with everything, a lot will depend on how much you have to spend on a case.

As has been said, modern, padded gig-bags are a really good investment. Even the low-mid end bags available should be pretty good. 

If you want a hard case, then there is a good selection available, some can be pretty heavy on top of the weight of the bass, but will give you piece of mind when travelling with it. 

Do some research/web searches before you buy anything.

• Like 1

Back to the original question… where are you based?

Im guessing one of us might have a case in a cupboard somewhere you can have.

Alternatively you can get a cheap case on Amazon or Temu.

Send me a PM if you need any help finding one. For a bass around £100 I’d not bother with a hard case (I used to cycle with my 66 jazz bass in a soft case, that was pretty mad looking back).

• Like 1

from the replies here i think i'm in the minority in that I use hard cases for all but a couple of my instruments (both bass and skinny stringers). all but a few of my hard cases are Hiscox as they are the best protection to weight ratio (IMO YMMV)

Hiscox cases are usually available used at decent prices, the way i see it is that the case and the instrument are separate entities and the std bass cases are suitable for such a wide range of basses so if i sell a bass i keep the case for the next one, the oldest Hiscox case i own is over 20 years old (acoustic guitar case) and still in good condition and regular use. I think i'm in to double figures for Hisacox cases and even have a spare Bass one in the loft in case i "accidentally" acquire another bass (I sold one long scale base a couple of years ago to make space for a short scale custom which fitted in a Hiscox guitar case)

I've had a few new misses with instruments in transit so the piece of mind that a good hard case gives is worth it to me.

Matt

• Like 1

It depends on how you transport it and how careful you can trust yourself to be. Hard case, foam lightweight case, padded gig bag, no case at all... If it's going to get chucked in a van you probably want some protection, if it's being carefully carried about and never leaving your side maybe a gig bag is enough. 

Whatever you do, don't take a brand new US Fender out, leaving the case in your car and think "I'll be ok carrying this back to the car to save on trips back and forth" and then tw4t it into a brick wall, removing a chunk of paint. That's not clever.

• Like 1