Why become a member? ×

Who's finally happy with their rig?

Listening back to the recording of Saturday's gig, I came to the realisation that I am finally happy with my bass gear — at least for now.

When I look at basses for sale, I don't feel tempted by them for long as I know any new bass won't be taken to a gig in preference to one (or two) of my JMJ mustangs.

My Ashdown ABM 600 Evo VI sounds mighty in a way my old markbass LMII could only dream of.

I don't own the cabs I play through as the band already had a pair of Ashbown ABM cabs when I joined and although they are blummin' heavy compared to my own Schroeder 1212L, they work really well with my ABM 600.

My pedalboard has been in a state of flux for a while and I feel that it has now reached its final form:

Boss TU-3w Tuner -> Boss SY1 Synth -> Boss BC-1X Bass Comp -> Boss BB-1X Bass Driver -> Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah -> SFX Micro Thumpinator

The only always-on pedal are the Bass Comp & Thumpinator, the others get used sparingly but were all utilised at Saturday's gig. The SY-1 doing a brilliant Organ doubling the bass line which probably had people looking for a non-existant keyboard player in the room

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 2

I’m. happy with my gear, similarly JMJ Mustangs, but into a Sansamp BDDI v2 then into wherever is there.

I have an Ashdown RM500 EVO2 and a Warwick Gnome iPro, plus two Ashdown ABM PRO NEO 210 cabs but have never needed to use my own amp set up since leaving my last band in 2019.

I do wish I’d been able to use the JMJs through my old Ashdown ABM600 410 & 210 set up, think I would have really loved that as although I’ve been Precision nuts for years I seem to be able to get a sound I prefer from the JMJ.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

Always be happy with your gear. Sounding good papers over a lot of cracks in your playing!

My current rig is Aguilar/Thunderfunk amps and Barefaced cabs, before that I used Aguilar/Thunderfunk amps and Bergantino cabs, before that I used Thunderfunk amps and Epifani cabs and before that I used an Ampeg amp and Mesa Boogie cabs. That covers nearly 30 years of being happy.

Life is too short for bad tone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been using my Hartke rig since 2004.
A 350w HA3500 amp, plus a Transporter 4x10 and 2x10 cabs. Or a  pair of Transporter 2x10 cabs.
I doubled the rig up to 2x HA3500 amps, plus two lots of Transporter 4x10 and 2x10.
I sold the duplicate rig because I was in a band with two wimps. Mistake.

DSC_0051.jpg   

rig.jpg

20141214-hartke-stoke-01.jpg

Prior to that I was using a pair of Trace Elliot 715 combos, which I still have and am happy to take out occasionally.

terig.jpg

I did defect to a Blackstar Unity rig, but that only lasted a short time before i returned it as it failed on me 3 times in about 4 months.

The Hartke rig has never ever let me down.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 5

This is my gig rig and I’m super happy with it. I’ve never had a better live sound, although this sound is quite different to my previous go-to which was all graphite and slap. With rounds, the mustang has a super Hifi sound with a fantastically even response and tremendous growl. 

IMG_7037.jpeg

• Like 1

Think I may have finally found a permenant set up (or at least for a good while)

No rig, all into the deski via pedalboard (Laney Digbeth and zoom B1 four) and then back from the desk into a KT platform and IEM's

custom Jazz with sadowsky pickups and D'addario heavy guage flats seems to complete the picture.

• Like 1

Yep, I’m really happy with where I’m at. Again, a JMJ Mustang is my number one these days (there seems to be a theme developing here), with another Mustang as a back up. I’ve also got longscale options that I’m ridiculously happy with if I decide to go wholesale back to that.

Ive been using a Crown power amp with a Hilbish Design rack preamp (a Sunn clone) in my current band for 3 yrs or so  and it sounds great. We’re a two piece so the two channels on both the power and preamp make it nice and easy to do a bass/faux guitar thing. BF Two10 for the octave up and a Zilla 2x12 for the bottom end. Couldn’t be more satisfied I don’t think.

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 1

Once I discovered the holy grail tone combination (imho) of Spector and Gallien-Krueger (15 years ago) I was set...

Classic 80's/90's GK400RB or 800RB, or early 2000's 700RB-II are my go to amp-wise now, with a more modern Legacy800 as backup.

Similarly, once I discovered the Genz Benz Neox212 I found no need for another cab. 600W at 4ohms and a one hand lift. Job done. I even A/B'd it against the Barefaced equivalent with a fellow, respected, bassist and we both much preferred the Genz. Saved me spending a grand unnecessarily....

• Like 1

Yes.  I'm in just the one band these days and have hit upon the perfect arrangement.  A Gibson SG Standard (or Eros EB-3, they are very similar) > Boss WL-50 > tuner > TC Spectradrive > pa.  A very simple set up that I can take anywhere and sound pretty much the same.  Sound guys like me :) 

• Like 1

Well I have a problem with regards to this…..

My amp, an old Ashdown ABM EVO 2 combo, is my sound. Absolutely love it whatever bass goes through it. However….. we live in an upstairs flat…. we rehearse in an upstairs rehearsal room……

It’s an issue 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rayman said:

Well I have a problem with regards to this…..

My amp, an old Ashdown ABM EVO 2 combo, is my sound. Absolutely love it whatever bass goes through it. However….. we live in an upstairs flat…. we rehearse in an upstairs rehearsal room……

It’s an issue 

I had one of those, yes, it’s a problem :( .

• Like 2

I was happy enough with my flexible rig - a few different cabs for different bands / venues, with a MarkBass EVO1 dual channel head.
Then I opted to get a small, lightweight head, for when I didn't need 2 channels (and to try something different)

So I opted for a Peavey MiniMax 600 head - OMG! It sounds superb, but it has really made a difference to the low end frequencies. They just seem more clear and punchy, and moreover, I can get a decent upright sound with the head too. I bought it just before the prices went up, and I think it was a bargain. I still like the MarkBass head, especially as the 2 separate channels allow for 2 very different EQ settings, but I now prefer the Peavey head wherever, and with which ever band I'm playing with, Upright or BG. EDIT - and with whichever cab or cab combination I use it with.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

Since I ditched my amps and cabs I've never been happier with my sound. 

TBH nearly all of my previous rigs over the past 35 years no matter how "conventional" they looked were about making the line level output from whatever multi-effects unit I was using loud enough to hear, and any colouration they added to the sound was both unintentional and unwanted.

For one band we all go direct into the PA, and for the other where the guitarists still use backline and we have a drummer with a conventional kit, I use an FRFR cab for rehearsals and those gigs where the quality of the foldback is unknown.

I can't ever see myself going back to a conventional amp and cabs set up. If I was to join a band where the image required it, I'd probably have a fake folding up rig that I could hide the FRFR inside.

• Like 2

I'm pretty happy with my gear, but another cab of the same variety would be nice for larger and outdoor gigs. Other than that I think I'm sorted for the foreseeable on that front. More pedals would be nice as being in a covers band means there's always the potential to do something a bit leftfield which requires some additional tone manipulation, but I think the core of my sound is done and dusted.

• Like 1

I’d say I’m happy with my rig. Most gigs it will be Demeter head into BF Super Twin with whichever of my basses best suits the gig. Sometimes I might take the BF One 10 instead.

GAS still strikes and has me looking at other heads, which is how I came to own my EBS head - it’s great but I still prefer the Demeter.

• Like 1

My main gigging and rehearsing amp has been a Mesa Walkabout 15 combo since 2009. Usually played with basses I have owned since 1999, 2004 and 2009. 

My other main gigging amp is an EBS Fafner which I have also had since 2009 and I usually use that with a 1x15 Trace Elliot I have had since 2009 because I couldn't afford the EBS Proline. The EBS amp actually much louder than the Mesa but it has far more clean headroom, 

I don't 'need' anymore than the Mesa or the EBS plus 1x15 but in 2017-2019 I did assemble the 'dream rig' I wanted as a 22 year old touring musician but could never afford, a Mesa Big Block 750 and matching 6x10. I managed to obtain them separately for about 30% of the  'new' price for the two combined items. This was a great deal for me but also a reflection of just how undesirable and impractical big heavy setups like that are nowadays. I absolutely love the big Mesa rig as a feat of engineering, however it isn't practical for gigging, even if you play in an incredibly loud doom rock band (which I often do). For a 'bucket list' purchase I won't ever sell though I don't regret the purchase.

I fully appreciate the benefits of in-ears and FRFR systems and I would consider this if the band I was playing in required it. When I next have surplus funds that I can spend on gear I will definitely purchase a Helix Stomp as I think it is also an immense bit of gear for the money.  

• Like 1

Happy is a little divisive.  I'm never 100% happy with my kit, right now let's just say I'm content.

I have a Darkglass AO900 and a pair of DG 1x12s; I don't tend to stray off the settings I have dialled in.  It's loud enough, lightweight, portable.  I have seven basses that do everything I want them to do.  Four active, three passive.  I'm as happy with the most expensive one as I am with the cheapest (c.£5.5K difference); they're all as gnarly as each other.

Zero GAS.

• Like 1

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

Happy is a little divisive.  I'm never 100% happy with my kit, right now let's just say I'm content.

All my gear is an evolution. I always buy stuff that is better than the current, so am always very happy. 

It's a different story with my playing. I'm never satisfied with that.

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with my main rig - DBX rack compressor, BBE pre-amp and Crown 2 channel power amp bridged to give 1500W into a Markbass 2x10 and Markbass 4x10. So I can take either or both cabs depending on the gig.

It's also almost impossible to get any sort of distortion or overdrive out of the rig - max gain on the pre results in a little bit of thickening.

Which in my book is excellent, as any distortion or FX come from my Helix meaning my on-stage sound is similar to front of house (assuming soundperson thinks bass definition is something they need to worry themselves about).

• Like 1