Why become a member? ×

Maddona tour "dozens of dancers, but no band"

MacDaddy

Pop music is and has always been more entertainment than an art form.

No big surprise, really.

To rewrite a common mantra here on Bass Chat slightly: "No one in the audience can tell the difference or care, so why should you?".

They are primarily there to be entertained, not to listen to music in specific, or at least that is secondary to them.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 4

From the BBC website "A waste of time," argued one concertgoer, who did not give their name. "It was all miming. Very disappointed. She never sung at all."

I'm amazed that the average Madonna fan would even notice, or care that there was no band and Madonna was miming.

image.thumb.png.5f58749cd8043b5f386ea3e568ab09ca.png

Now Grace Jones, well I'd spend some of my hard earned cash to see one of her gigs - just for the hula hooping alone.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 3

Anyone who has heard her sing in the last 5 years knows there'd be a lot more complaints if she did sing live. Get used to it. There is too much potentially compromising footage taken at gigs and instantly uploaded for all the jackals to pick at. It's too much of a risk to put on an actual live performance at that level anymore. Most of the starlets half her age do it too, it is the hallmark of "performing" now. It's complicated dancing and looking fancy, that's the show. The whine fetishists will always find something to give out about but if you want actual live music, don't go to see any pop music.

8 hours ago, gjones said:

From the BBC website "A waste of time," argued one concertgoer, who did not give their name. "It was all miming. Very disappointed. She never sung at all."

I'm amazed that the average Madonna fan would even notice, or care that there was no band and Madonna was miming.

image.thumb.png.5f58749cd8043b5f386ea3e568ab09ca.png

Now Grace Jones, well I'd spend some of my hard earned cash to see one of her gigs - just for the hula hooping alone.

That's quite the pair of buttocks. :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Anyone who has heard her sing in the last 5 years knows there'd be a lot more complaints if she did sing live. Get used to it. There is too much potentially compromising footage taken at gigs and instantly uploaded for all the jackals to pick at. It's too much of a risk to put on an actual live performance at that level anymore. Most of the starlets half her age do it too, it is the hallmark of "performing" now. It's complicated dancing and looking fancy, that's the show. The whine fetishists will always find something to give out about but if you want actual live music, don't go to see any pop music.

Singing properly while doing complicated and spectacular dancing for most of the show must be impossible - having to choose between doing one or the either, Madge clearly went for what she still excels at.

She never was the best singer in the world anyway, but that can be said of so many music stars. However, you're more likely to get away with that if you're male, not if you're female and over 50 and certainly not if you're Madonna.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

At least Maddy shows up and dances! People pay big bucks to go to holograms of ABBA, so low is the bar these days.

The cheap seats for Madge are 2x the cost of a floor ticket for Abba though. Also, Abba have an actual band who are quite good.

Anyway - night two for Madonna, late start due to some tech failure, early finish because of O2 curfew. Ooops/Schadenfreude

And also also, there's no Hanky Panky in the set (the song that is), so *duncan bannentyne accent* ahm oot

• Like 1

She has been ill lately. That may have been one reason not to have a fully rehearsed band up and running. Dancers can learn their stuff in seconds and from recorded music. 

Having a band recording music and then sending it to dancers seems to be quite a lot of work. 

I recall reading an interview with Darryl Jones where he said that despite Madonna paying for stellar musicians for the Blonde Ambition Tour, they didn't play the material girl's material live. Given the Ambition of the show, t

here was just too much to go wrong with show / presentation / dance routines and a live band didn't help with this.

I couldn't find the interview so it could you just be me recalling facts incorrectly

25 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Do they just mime to the album versions of the songs though, or have these songs by any chance been pre-re-recorded live specifically for the tour, or at least are special more live like re-mixes of the album versions?

Apparently, they use the original multi-track.

A lot of absolute piffle from her MD. He should have been a politician.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/madonnas-tour-to-feature-over-40-songs-and-no-band-on-stage-for-first-time-3513780

Edited by SteveK

So they're essentially playing a CD of the original recordings? Is the vocal track a pre-recorded newer one, or is it the original recording too?

I'm not a big fan, but what Madonna has done and produced over her career is simply amazing. Have to say I'd be gutted if I was a fan and going to see this tour, I'm guessing tix aren't cheap and I'd feel swindled a bit.

With all the talk of Abba and holograms though - that got me thinking. Will we get to the point where (with improvements in AI/holo tech) we'll be able to see legendry live performances from artists that are no longer with us? Have to admit I'd be tempted to see a few of the below if the prices were right and it felt live...

Who - Live at Leeds

Elvis - '68 come back special / live on stage in Memphis

Queen - Wembley '86

• Like 1