Why become a member? ×

Maddona tour "dozens of dancers, but no band"

MacDaddy

Stating that they use the original multi track recordings, rather than just calling it the original album tracks, has me thinking that there might at least be some live re-mixing involved at the shows.

Which would match with the statement in the same article/interview that there will be solo musicians playing an instrument live on some of the songs at the show.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

42 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

So they're essentially playing a CD of the original recordings? Is the vocal track a pre-recorded newer one, or is it the original recording too?

I'm not a big fan, but what Madonna has done and produced over her career is simply amazing. Have to say I'd be gutted if I was a fan and going to see this tour, I'm guessing tix aren't cheap and I'd feel swindled a bit.

With all the talk of Abba and holograms though - that got me thinking. Will we get to the point where (with improvements in AI/holo tech) we'll be able to see legendry live performances from artists that are no longer with us? Have to admit I'd be tempted to see a few of the below if the prices were right and it felt live...

Who - Live at Leeds

Elvis - '68 come back special / live on stage in Memphis

Queen - Wembley '86

It has been done with limited success

https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/secrets-behind-ronnie-james-dio-hologram-motion-capture-peppers-ghost

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/frank-zappa-hologram-tour-review-827195/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Stating that they use the original multi track recordings, rather than just calling it the original album tracks, has me thinking that there might at least be some live re-mixing involved at the shows.

In that case, shouldn't the FOH engineer have a spotlight on him/her, as he/she is the only one doing anything vaguely musical...

Or, maybe he/she should be on stage, throwing a few shapes and getting the audience going... er, hold on... wasn't that a thing 3 or 4 decades ago?🤔😉

Edit: I fell into the gender trap😞

Edited by SteveK
Misgendering

This is often a row in our house.

MJ from 1990 onwards did half mimed half live vocals.

Mrs T is a huge MJ fan. Saw him live twice as a kid and had tickets for This Is It etc.

She won’t have it that he mimed half the set.

Not that it’s blatantly obvious.

Anyhow - It’s paying for a spectacle isn’t it?

I know Whitney Houston’s last performances were scrutinised and picked apart - the “everyone has a camera” generation have killed gigs.

I went to the Last Domino tour and thoroughly enjoyed it - imperfect vocals and all…but a lot of people were less kind and shared videos with shoddy performances from the same tour.

I do wish she’d put her ar$e implants away. 

2 minutes ago, casapete said:

I would think at least some songs would have to be mimed anyway, as weren’t her vocals speeded up

to raise the pitch on the original recordings - her natural voice being too low on some of the early stuff?

I’m sure I’ve red similar in Nile Rogers autobiography.

“Couldn’t hit the right note with a baseball bat at close range…” - I’m paraphrasing.

As Pete Waterman famously once said.  "I dont need Kylie to sing, she just has to look good and dance". He was right. This type of 'show time' entertainment has nothing to do with live musical performance and everything to do with the visual spectacle, just shove a disc in the machine and dance.

8 hours ago, greavesbass said:

As Pete Waterman famously once said.  "I dont need Kylie to sing, she just has to look good and dance". He was right. This type of 'show time' entertainment has nothing to do with live musical performance and everything to do with the visual spectacle, just shove a disc in the machine and dance.

Kylie I would go and see. Madonna - not a chance, not that I dislike her music, but I’d want to see a proper live show.

Having said that, I’ve seen the ABBA holo show as well as the Zappa one and they were both fantastic. In both cases, I knew what I was going in to. Turning up to see a live musician faking it is not on my wish list.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 3