Why become a member? ×

Who plays fretless in a rock/pop band?

Waddycall

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

It took a year for my previous band to notice.

Interesting as I get comments at pretty much every gig about how great it is to see someone playing a fretless, I love the sound of your fretless, you sound like Pino/Mick Karn and at one venue, the bar staff have renamed our band as 'Tim Shez and the Fretless Bass Player', much to our singers annoyance 🤣 

Edited by Linus27
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MrCrane said:

You can also add Rod Clements of Lindisfarne onto the list.

A personal influence and a lovely guy to boot. Back in the very early 2000's I almost bought that fretless Overwater from Rod, but young children and common sense prevented me from going ahead with the purchase. 

On 19/09/2023 at 22:38, Waddycall said:

Sounds like we might be getting the old band back together. Trouble is I’ve recently decided to focus on fretless so sold both my fretted basses. I don’t really want to get any more gear especially as they’re an unreliable bunch. 
so who plays fretless in a rock/pop band and how do you find it in the mix? 

I play - Ibanez GWB 1005. No problemo !

I’ve always been impressed with Jaz Lochrie’s fretless playing. Expressive and always in the groove.

A different style is Johann Asmundsson, who has held the bass role in jazz/funk band Mezzoforte for decades. Also a great fretless player.

• Like 1

Didn't Bill Wyman play the first several Stones singles etc on his defretted bass?

I personally think it's a non-thing. Is it just bc people expect you to slide around a lot? I did a rehearsal with my Jazz fretless a while back and no-one noticed at all - dunno if that's a good or bad thing🤣

But the Jazz with flats gave a really good low-mid punch sound, we were doing a mix of rock-ish and soul stuff. I think it works really well if you avoid the fretless cliches and get the intonation solid.

My current Sandberg with chrome flats at bridge under strings makes a really excellent soul/funk bass.

• Like 1