Why become a member? ×

The best really cheap bass

JoeEvans

Any thoughts on the best bass to buy, new or secondhand, for a very low price? My daughter wants to start playing bass, which of course I strongly approve of and want to encourage, so I want to pick up something cheap and cheerful right now to get her going. I'm thinking £100 ish for secondhand, correspondingly more for new if I become convinced that it's worth going that way.

Obviously if you have one to sell, feel free to pitch it!

Biased I know, but if you can find a Squire p bass Standard you'll have a great bass with potential to improve it as necessary.  Fantastically playable skinny jazz neck

Ideal for smaller hands.  Dead easy to set up and to get a nice action.  If you can find a "Special" then even nicer. Mine shares duties with a much more expensive bass  and in terms of playability it's right up there.  I reckon you'd get a nice one for £150or less

• Like 1

I'd start with a quick look on Gumtree and Faceache... see whats local.

I loves it... Ibby GSR200 £60ish... Squier P £80ish... quick haggle 'n £50 and £60...

See whats out there and report back with a short list.

What sort of music or look do they like... a bass that they want to pick up is better than one they don't

That Maison screams Cort/Ibanez to me... PJ, Active Tones, a more compact body than a Squier P and 'prolly a sleeker neck... I'd give that a Serious Consideration...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

She's 16 and fairly tall so no need for short scale. Some good suggestions there, thanks! Interesting to see the universal love for Harley Benton.

Well, it is a miracle to make well built, good sounding basses for 100 pounds. But I am going to play my usual role of reminding that some have quirks (eg being stupidly heavy and/or bad balance). Over the past year I have read of plenty of people here that did buy one and then sold as they did not want to put up with it. For a beginner it could be a pity as it could discourage from playing altogether.

I'll join the chorus of those saying that a good setup is key. Maybe more important than the bass.

• Like 1

Maybe have a look for a used Sire of some sort , might push the budget a little higher (but resale will hold up better) - I just got a new P5 5 string, it's my first Sire and the neck with the rounded edges is really lovely. I think they all have this feature and it makes a tangible and tactile difference to the 'comfort' of the neck, so might be an especially good call when learning.

• Like 2

My votes would go to Yamaha, Cort and Ibanez for quality and consistency. S/H their more basic models will be not too far beyond budget. I've no personal experience of Hartley Benton instruments but notice that they often review well.

Set-up and reasonable quality strings can elevate a cheaper bass enormously but, unless you do it yourself you'll be adding a significant bill to your budget (£50-£80 including strings). This is lost money. Therfore, imo you'd be better off getting a S/H instrument that doesn't necessarily need a set-up and strings and would retain the majority of its value (try first if at all possible); if I had to hedge my bets I'd go for Yamaha, having never owned or played a bad one. 

All the best to your daughter as she embarks on this exciting but dangerous quest!

• Thanks 1

On 17/09/2023 at 12:38, Pirellithecat said:

Biased I know, but if you can find a Squire p bass Standard you'll have a great bass with potential to improve it as necessary.  Fantastically playable skinny jazz neck

Ideal for smaller hands.  Dead easy to set up and to get a nice action.  If you can find a "Special" then even nicer. Mine shares duties with a much more expensive bass  and in terms of playability it's right up there.  I reckon you'd get a nice one for £150or less

I had one and foolishly sold it. I'd be more than happy with one as my first bass.

Don't forget it's a P/J so huge tonal range. 

If she has a bit more cash, Yamaha or G&L.

On 17/09/2023 at 12:05, JoeEvans said:

ny thoughts on the best bass to buy, new or secondhand, for a very low price?

If you need playability and decent sound at the lowest price a Hardly-Bent-One is the only option.

On 18/09/2023 at 09:37, Paolo85 said:

Over the past year I have read of plenty of people here that did buy one and then sold as they did not want to put up with it.

I have a bass that cost fifteen times as much as my HB five-string, and I gig them both. My brother has a 1962 SG Junior, and gigs it along with an HB that is worth about 1/50th as much.

• Like 1