It's 1985...

Rich

Kate Bush:  Hounds of Love
Steve Morse:  The Introduction
Prince:  Around the World in a Day
Propaganda:  A Secret Wish

Scritti Politti:  Cupid & Psyche 85

IMS all bought that year.

... plus a plethora of classical and jazz CDs  -  -  which I bought the car and portable players for as soon as I could, in '84 or '85.

• Like 1

Motorhead's 10yrs Birthday Party at Hamersmith... so 'prolly No Sleep to re-create the vibe, Arśe end of '85 i was 16... So Hawkwind Chronicals Tour...

Pilgrimage to Hammersmith Odeon

Like the Earth Ritual and Choose Your Masks the years before.

Cassette player at home was cack... Parent Sony Music Center.. and the tape ran slow, so you could only play back on the same you recorded - sounded so fast in the car player!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I have a box of about 80 cassettes in my loft that must date between 1984 and 1985. I have to go up in the morning. Will take a photo.

Definitely Pink Floyd - The Wall, Meddle, Animals and Wish You Were Here.

Van Halen 1984

Ultravox- The Ultimate Collection.

Depeche Mode - Construction time.

Heaven 17 - Temptation (Saw them at the Jazz Cafe a few years back)

David Bowie - a compilation tape I made myself.

Iron Maiden - Live After Death. (1985)

Thomas Dolby - Golden Age of Wireless

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

U2 - Unforgettable Fire

Queen - The Game and Greatest Hits. 

Rush - Tom Sawyer. 

Some weird stuff. 

Sky III

Lloyd Weber - Variations

ABBA- greatest Hits I and II.

Alan Parsons Project. 

Edited by TimR

I was 14 in '85 and listened to everything my mates were into and the top 40. I remember loving the Style Council so much that I bought Our Favourite Shop and I hardly ever bought albums so that was special.

'85 was also the year that Level 42 released Something About You and that was the first time they hit me as a band I'd end up being a fan of. Living It Up and Hot Water did the groundwork but SAY was the moment I got it...the video helped...as Vic Reeves once said "that feeling you get listening to Level 42 on a summer's day" (I'm not sure he said that but it sounds good).

Prince and Grace Jones's Slave To The Rhythm would've been on heavy rotation too.

Posted 2½ years ago......

In 1985, there were several recently released albums which I could have bought, had I understood what I would like, but which I overlooked, only coming to know and love later on: 

Powerslave - Iron Maiden (Sep 84)

Ride The Lightning - Metallica (Jul 84)

Killing Is My Business - Megadeth (Jun 85)

Cyclone - Vow Wow (sometime 85)

Head on the Door - The Cure (Aug 85)

First and Last and Always - The Sisters of Mercy (Mar 85)

Psychocandy - The Jesus and Mary Chain (Nov 85)

Meat Is Murder - The Smiths (Feb 85)

But, in 1985, this is what I actually spent my money on:

Dream Into Action - Howard Jones

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I also remember getting into electric jazz, so it's likely one of my Maxwell UDXL2 cassettes would have had Jamaladeen Tacuma's "Showstopper" and Miles Davis' "Man with the Horn" on it...

I was listening to those two albums back in 1985, and I still love them now. Both such an inspiration to me as an aspiring bass player. 

I remember my bass teacher playing me The Man With The Horn back in 1982 and extolling the virtues of the then largely unknown Marcus Miller. Credit to him, he knew how to spot a talent. He also did a remarkable job of analysing and recreating Marcus's playing style and techniques just from listening to the records and watching a South, Bank Show special  on TV about Miles Davis. Most people didn't even have VCRs in 1982, and YouTube was not even dreampt of. Such a different skill set required than nowadays when we have unrestricted access to information about practically everything.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I was listening to those two albums back in 1985, and I still love them now. Both such an inspiration to me as an aspiring bass player. 

I remember my bass teacher playing me The Man With The Horn back in 1982 and extolling the virtues of the then largely unknown Marcus Miller. Credit to him, he knew how to spot a talent. He also did a remarkable job of analysing and recreating Marcus's playing style and techniques just from listening to the records and watching a South, Bank Show special  on TV about Miles Davis. Most people didn't even have VCRs in 1982, and YouTube was not even dreampt of. Such a different skill set required than nowadays when we have unrestricted access to information about practically everything.

1982 or 1985?

Focus - Moving Waves and Hamburger Concerto on one cassette, Focus 3 on another

Tyrannosaurus Rex - Beard of Stars/Unicorn and My People were Fair/Prophets, Seers and Sages

The first four Queen albums

Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell

1985 was when I stopped listening to Radio 1 because the new music coming out was overwhelmingly shite.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Misdee said:

we have unrestricted access to information about practically everything.

Indeed!

My introduction to jazz (apart from my dad being into Chris Barber et all) was going into Jumbo Records In Leeds one day to browse. I used to go in weekly to find new funk stuff to play at either the Uni weekly discos, or the Phono or the Warehouse. There was nobody to ask for recommendations (unless I wanted goth stuff!) so I'd browse the imports until I found something funky-looking. There was no way to try-before-you-buy, so I'd look for PFunky art, afros, whatever shouted "funky!". Invariably these same records would have in the credits "thanks to God, and my mom" so when I found Jamaaladeen's "Showstopper" I thought I had the grail; funky suit, cool dude with amazing looking bass shaped like a cricket bat, special thanx to Mom and God - I'd found Tyrone Brunson's "The Smurf" in much the same way.

However, I soon realised that the Thursday funk disco couldn't cope with Mr. Tacuma... But I was hooked, soon joined the library and discovered their jazz section which contained "Man with the Horn". Which was nice! And a bit of a slippery slope... I listen to Ornette Coleman for light thrills now and the Company albums for a bit of a boogie!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Motorhead's 10yrs Birthday Party at Hamersmith... so 'prolly No Sleep to re-create the vibe, Arśe end of '85 i was 16... So Hawkwind Chronicals Tour...

Pilgrimage to Hammersmith Odeon

Like the Earth Ritual and Choose Your Masks the years before.

Cassette player at home was cack... Parent Sony Music Center.. and the tape ran slow, so you could only play back on the same you recorded - sounded so fast in the car player!

I was there also . Plus all the hawkwind gigs . I saw hawkwind so many times at the hammy , but stopped after 1987 . Probably traumatised by nik turner in his frog suit 😬

• Haha 2

On 08/09/2023 at 14:03, JapanAxe said:

In no particular order:

Albert Lee: Albert Lee

U2: The Unforgettable Fire

Television: Marquee Moon

Lionel Richie: Can’t Slow Down

Roxy Music: Avalon

The Dixie Dregs: Dregs of the Earth 

Oscar Peterson: We Get Requests

Nice list…I preferred Night of the Living Dregs andOP’s live in Russia albums though…

Was listening to a lot of mainstream stuff, and only just starting to dip my proverbial toe into the heavier stuff.

Rush, Black Sabbath, Dio, Hawkwind, Marillion, The Cult/Death Cult/Southern Death Cult, Toyah, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Status Quo, The Damned, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Saxon, Tygers oPT, etc, etc.

Was only just starting to hear about bands like Metallica, Slayer & Anthrax, Discharge, Crass & Subhumans.

Albums that were released in 1985 that I bought and I played a lot...

Yellow Jackets: Samurai Samba

Scritti Politti: Cupid & Psyche 85

Dave Grusin & Lee Ritenour Harlequin

Tribel Tech: Spears

Tania Maria: Made in New York

Although released late 1984, I played this album lot.

Al Jarreau: High Crime