Why become a member? ×

It's 1985...

Rich

Big Country - The Crossing, Steeltown

Marillion - Fugazi, Misplaced Childhood

U2 - Unforgettable Fire

Level 42 - A Physical Presence

Rush - Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure - bügger it, everything!

Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love

Skids - Days In Europa, The Absolute Game

I don't think music was better back then - but the good stuff was so much easier to find. Odd, that.

Edited by Bassassin
Tpyo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Dunno how I forgot that - loved that album!

I still play it often - although it's littered with things that nail it to 1985 ("s-s-s-s-s-s Sony!"), it still sounds really fresh and exciting and there's not a duff track on it.

• Like 1

I just had a look at my iTunes library andI have very few albums from 1985 and of those only the Propaganda one was bought at the time. The others were all purchased within the last 20 years. For me the mid-80s (like the mid-70s) was a low point in music. I only bought a handful of contemporary albums between 1985 and 1988. Post-punk and synth pop were on their way out, and I've have to wait for Acid House for there to be new music that I really liked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I still play it often - although it's littered with things that nail it to 1985 ("s-s-s-s-s-s Sony!"), it still sounds really fresh and exciting and there's not a duff track on it.

I actually think it’s aged really well. I always credit BAD with introducing the everyday wearing of oversize baseball caps to the UK yoof!

That and white 501s…

18 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

A few already mentioned (Sting, Propaganda, Kate Bush and U2), but definitely these:

Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls

Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche 85

Sly and Robbie - Language Barrier

Grace Jones - Slave to the Rhythm 

1985 was a good year…

I was gonna say Language Barrier. I would probably also have Little Creatures by Talking Heads. Have to say though, I thought it was a lean time after the splendour of the early 80s post punk new wave period.

Being a penniless 11/12 year old in '85 it would probably be my favourite songs recorded from the Sunday evening Top 40 show, interspersed with annoying bits a Richard Skinner as I tried, and failed, to press stop at the very last second before he talked over the ending. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:
  1. It's as good a year as any.
  2. It was halfway through my personal favourite decade.
  3. I was 20 that year. 

I dread to think what you might have started though, there are members here that are prone to a little thread proliferation after all......

It's 1986....

It's 1987....

It's 1988....

:) 

Great year ! Especially for metal . 
Anthrax/ Stormtroopers of Death/ slayer/ Metallica/ venom / motorhead / Mercyful Fate/ Wasp 😬/ Hawkwind / Scorpions/ Deep purple / Blackfoot/ZZ Top / Nuclear assault / Jean michel jarre / Alice cooper / Klaus Schulze / Tangerine dream ( especially the Poland album at the time ) .got back into maiden realising my mistake .Rush 

Maxell c90 chrome 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE