Why become a member? ×

** The 15th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 12 November 2023 **

Hamster

1 hour ago, Merton said:

I missed a trick actually - earlier in the day @stevie was using the Trace to show off his cabs. The pairing sounded incredible 😊

But ultimately, each to their own etc etc 😎

The Trace was sublime. I've always thought amps were much of a muchness - but the Trace sounded ridiculously good. Thanks, @Merton for the short- term loan. They look good together, too!😄

20231112_115622.jpg

• Like 8

A great day with old and new friends alike. Many thanks to @Merton for letting me leave my 12 string next to his copious amounts of ACG's (borrowing a strap) and running it through his fantastic trace 1200 and Barefaced 210.

Whilst I'm not in the market for new cabs, having tried @stevie's LFSys cabs, they're great. Exceptionally clear and articulate which is why I'd choose a cab. They really do the snap, click and top end extension which I like very well. You could do a lot worse than get one. They're easily on a par with Vanderkley, Barefaced or Bergantino.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Great to catch up with Gary (Cetera) and Barry Morehouse , the time just shot by . Laurence  Cottle was superb and definitely a real bonus to the event , great that he could stay on to the very end as well  . Tip of the day was the second finger leading technique . Looking forward to next year and hopefully better weather on the day .

Edited by BritBass 2
  • Like 5

Big thanks to Colin (Hamster) for his organisation and securing the venue and Guy Pratt, his lovely wife Sarah for the refreshments, Trev and Mick for organising Lol Cottle, Barry Moorhouse and some raffle prizes....... and all of you for attending, donating raffle prizes and generously sharing in the spirit of the event and helping to raise lots of money for charity! :)

• Like 7

Was great fun, good to meet and chat with many of you.

Many thanks to the organisers too - I hadn't actually paid any attention beforehand to which guests would be showing up, but totally blown away by how good they both were, I could happily have listened to either of them for another few hours.

Surprised by how quickly the day flew by...

• Like 3

Super day, thanks to everyone who organised and participated. Really enjoyed meeting everyone, appreciated the chance to try out some exotic basses, and loved Guy's interview and the chance to play the sublime Betsy 🥰

Afterwards I messaged my boys to tell them I'd had a go on the bass used by the bassist from Oink Floyd. It was a typo but I'm bagging it as a tribute band name 🐷

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

11 hours ago, TrevorR said:

What a great, great day!!! Posted a load of pics up at Facebook. You shouldn’t need a Facebook account to view it, I think.

https://www.facebook.com/trevorraggatt/posts/pfbid02MUasXEzTEiBG4KPoW6BdTfqYrVUBnZPGxceEQ82UUUVatTJUbYpPGxEyyFvUsPYnl

Thanks for sharing that, some great pics. Betsy seems to have been quite the draw. I thought it was nice of Darren Redick to do the interviews (at least that’s what it looks like) with Guy and Laurence; top bloke.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Thanks for sharing that, some great pics. Betsy seems to have been quite the draw. I thought it was nice of Darren Redick to do the interviews (at least that’s what it looks like) with Guy and Laurence; top bloke.

Yeah, Darren was the perfect MC for those bits. As you say, top bloke! 

I couldn’t believe it when Guy finished his chat and said, “I’ll just leave those there if anyone wants to look at them or have a go. Just limit yourself to a couple of minutes coz there’ll probably be a few of you!” He’s such a lovely erm… guy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tomthebass said:

Super day, thanks to everyone who organised and participated. Really enjoyed meeting everyone, appreciated the chance to try out some exotic basses, and loved Guy's interview and the chance to play the sublime Betsy 🥰

Afterwards I messaged my boys to tell them I'd had a go on the bass used by the bassist from Oink Floyd. It was a typo but I'm bagging it as a tribute band name 🐷

So long as you do a “whole album set” of Animals!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Yeah, Darren was the perfect MC for those bits. As you say, top bloke! 

I couldn’t believe it when Guy finished his chat and said, “I’ll just leave those there if anyone wants to look at them or have a go. Just limit yourself to a couple of minutes coz there’ll probably be a few of you!” He’s such a lovely erm… guy. 

'cept Darren grabbed it and wouldn't let go until Guy came back to do a photo with him. 🤣

Still, I did take a couple of pics of them on his phone for him and he returned the favour when he finally handed it over; I have to say it is a very nice bass!
I passed it on to @Smanth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Nor could I … I’d been wondering if I dared to ask him if I could just touch Betsy and then he offered that! 🥳

S’manth x

• Like 2

Laurence is the type of guy you convinces you to either practise more, or give up. Such a great player, with amazing stories.

As an aside, I thought I recognized him, and chatting with him afterwards confirmed it, he's here:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to organize the event. My first trip was certainly a great experience.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chyc said:

Laurence is the type of guy you convinces you to either practise more, or give up. Such a great player, with amazing stories.

As an aside, I thought I recognized him, and chatting with him afterwards confirmed it, he's here:

Thanks everyone for taking the time to organize the event. My first trip was certainly a great experience.

🙂
I said to him Ithink I need to practice more; unfortunately there aren't enough hours in the day to get to that level.

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2023 at 09:11, Merton said:

Get well soon @silverfoxnik

Thanks @Merton 🙏

I'm really gutted to have missed it, but it looks from the photos and comments that you all had a stellar day! 

Huge congratulations to @Hamster @cetera @The Greek and @TrevorR for putting such a great Bash together!! 👏👏

Such a brilliant trio of guests and a really good turn out, too it seems.. 

Can't believe Barry Moorhouse's hair in the photos - he was equally flamboyant and bouffant back in the good old days at the wonderful Wapping Bass Centre! 😁

Roll on 2024.. 

Nik 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a regular to the SW Bash, I looked forward with anticipation to my first SE Bash - and I wasn't disappointed. It was a brilliant day!

First, the venue was outstanding. There were half a dozen medium-sized rooms, all with reasonable, if not wonderful, acoustics. This made playing at a decent volume possible - unlike in a single large hall, where one loud player can drown everything out and get on everyone's nerves. The organisation was as smooth as a baby's bottom - thanks to Colin and the gang. (I only realised afterwards that Colin is @Hamster. Oh well.) There were some nice goodies in the raffle, and I managed to win a practice amp for my son, who is starting to learn bass at uni and needed something tiny for his flat. Result!

Like the SW Bash, everyone was exceptionally friendly and welcoming, with a good mix of beginners and advanced players. It was a joy to meet so many of the people I've chatted to here over the years.

The basses on display were out of this world. But really! Quite a few custom jobbies, with more Wals than I've ever seen in my life before, plus Spectors and Musicmans galore. I think Jeff @tubbybloke68 broke the record for the number of basses at a Bash. They were all in fabulous condition and available for anyone to play.

As for sounds, I was knocked out by @Merton's 1200W Trace amp. I wish I could afford one.🫤 Then there was the sound of @chyc's double bass, which was absolutely glorious. I'm so glad he went to the (not inconsiderable, I'd say) trouble of bringing it.

At the SW Bash, the floorshow is usually hosted by @Phil Starr, who does a brilliant job of keeping us informed and entertained. However, even he was outshone by the brilliant combination of Laurence Cottle and Guy Pratt. Guy was exactly what we expected - interesting, witty and entertaining, and Lawrence provided a fascinating insight into the world of the pro bassist/composer/studio musician, which included a demonstration of a piece he had to sight read for a recording. Mind boggling! What really impressed me was the way both pros made a point of wandering round the rooms, chatting and joking with everyone. Kudos.  I think @BassforradioDarren Redick also deserves a big hand for the professional way he introduced and interviewed the guests.

I kept missing Bass Centre Barry. I wanted to say hello because I used to be one of his regular (although less important) suppliers when he ran the Bass Centre. I can, however, confirm @silverfoxnik's observation that he still has a full head of hair, although it's unsurprisingly not the same golden blond colour of yore. But hey ho. It gets us all in the end.😀

See you next year. (And thanks to all the nice people who said they liked my cabs).

Edited by stevie
  • Like 10