Why become a member? ×

Well, somebody's getting a bit up themselves... (Royal Blood content)

Rich

12 minutes ago, borntohang said:

Big Weekend doesn't pay fees. The Radio One play that comes with it is the prize, and really he should have known that they were going to be playing to a bigger stream audience than any they'd get in person. 

In mitigation, RB are about to start a headline arena tour this week. Having been in the same position where you're about to do your biggest ever shows and then bomb in front of somebody else's midday festival crowd I can at least sympathise with them being tempted to throw a small paddy. I got on with it though because I'm a professional (and also was getting paid my session fee either way). 😜

That said, I also know a stage manager who has never said a single negative thing about any band ever, no matter how guff they were, and after one show with RB he claims they're both derrières, so perhaps there's something more going off there... 

Exposure dollars?

1 minute ago, neepheid said:

Exposure dollars?

Basically except the exposure is heavy Radio One playlisting either side of the show plus your set on iPlayer, which is an actual reliable way to make a bit of cash! 

Same setup as Glastonbury really - labels pay for their big artists to do it at a loss because they know the benefits are ultimately worth it. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, borntohang said:

In mitigation, RB are about to start a headline arena tour this week. Having been in the same position where you're about to do your biggest ever shows and then bomb in front of somebody else's midday festival crowd I can at least sympathise with them being tempted to throw a small paddy. I got on with it though because I'm a professional (and also was getting paid my session fee either way). 😜

I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. You get on stage and perform to the best of your ability and be thankful for it every time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have no sympathy with them whatsoever. You get on stage and perform to the best of your ability and be thankful for it every time.

Def, it was the wrong crowd for them but that doesn`t make it the crowds fault, go on, play your best and win over some of them.

• Like 5

Its hard when you get to your mid 30s to realise that you are considered pensioners to people in their early 20s, the same as people who were in their mid 30s were to you when you were 20!

I have seen Royal Blood several times, and they were good and did a good set, but he can sure rant on about the audience not appreciating them enough. I guess the way down is going to be hard.

21 minutes ago, Norris said:

Ha ha. Bought tickets for the next Muse tour mainly because RB are supporting (seen Muse a few times, latest album a bit meh, but never seen RB before). We'll see how that goes...

Make sure you cheer long and loud then...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, borntohang said:

Basically except the exposure is heavy Radio One playlisting either side of the show plus your set on iPlayer, which is an actual reliable way to make a bit of cash! 

Same setup as Glastonbury really - labels pay for their big artists to do it at a loss because they know the benefits are ultimately worth it. 

Absolutely this. And also..They are rather mainstream. And they are rather radio friendly. Christ, it’s not like they’re exactly Cannibal Corpse is it?!

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This 100%, recognise the extraordinary privilege that far from being the result of talent - lots of people are far more talented - or hard work - lots of people work harder - or 'sacrifice" (you're flucking joking me) - is simply the result in 99% of cases of luck, and get out there, be a pro, and give the audience what they've paid for. If they don't like you, grow some and win them over rather than resorting to the standard 2020s model of whinge.

I did a single gig with a semi pro band (whatever the fukc that actually means), the singer of which threw a major hissy fit mid-gig because people in the 'crowd' (about 40 people in a stinky poo pub in Surrey) were talking during the set and still see it as my musical low point, the guilt of association etc (BTW this 'semi-pro singer had arrived at the gig without his mic case so had to borrow the SM-58 that i carry in my kit bag just to make it through the gig in the first place, and had the lyrics on a printed sheet in his hand. Complete prick). The sense of entitlement that oozes from so many musicians today amazes me. 

• Like 6

I saw them on the first tour when they suddenly went huge and they were amazing live. The records have gone downhill since then and the live performances I've seen have been a bit lacking. 

Maybe the sudden stardom following their first record had a bit of a negative effect 

40 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

This was an item in a newspaper????. Guess it must've been a quiet day across the rest of the planet then.

They got fed up writing about Phil, Holly and the whole Good Morning non news event. 

• Like 1

The audience don't owe you anything. If they're not responsive, get your head down, play your derrière off and get out of dodge. Entitled whining is never a good look - especially for a band as mediocre as Royal Blood.

• Like 3