Why become a member? ×

Bass capos - does anyone use one?

Al Krow

These things apparently exist in the wild and have been used by pro players e.g. Peter Hook

Just been chatting with one of my session bass buddies and, like me, he's never seen one being used.

Are they frowned upon?

You don't usually play open chords on a bass, which is the main reason for a capo. I used to play a song with an old band that had a fast riff which bounced off open E and A, but the guitarist played it a tone higher (we were actually down tuned). I couldn't play the riff in that key without a capo, so I used one for that song!

It seems that everything a bass player does that doesn't fit the closed-minded mindset is frowned upon. 

Capos are brilliant and can be useful. If you have some songs that are in Eb or D standard and some that are in E standard, tune the bass to D standard and use a capo on the first or second frets to "retune" the bass between songs. It also helps to teach you to not rely on the dots on the neck too :) 

• Like 2

Pino uses one on his P bass for the opening of Djurkel (from 13’ 28”).

The capo is on the D and G strings only - from the riff he’s playing it sounds like it’s at the 11th fret (though I could be wrong!).

Mr Creative getting creative … 

3 hours ago, Dood said:

Capos are brilliant and can be useful. If you have some songs that are in Eb or D standard and some that are in E standard, tune the bass to D standard and use a capo on the first or second frets to "retune" the bass between songs. It also helps to teach you to not rely on the dots on the neck too :) 

Y'see, this is why they invented the 5-string bass ...

😂

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I saw a band called Buffalo Daughter and they had one song were the bass line involved a lot of bouncing off an open string. Used a capo. It worked.

I imagine that is one of the main reasons to use one.

Precisely why I use one for living on a prayer :)

"How did you do that?' Haha, it's a secret.

Whatever it takes to make music

The Chapman Stick has a damper between the X-fret and fret 1, because with all those strings all sorts of stuff would be reverberating. It's tapped with both hands, so you don't have a hand to dampen overtones. But Bob Culbertson (google him) uses a capo sometimes, so I said "why not?"

As to questions about what will fit, put yer bass in the boot and go to a music store and try a few out.

Edited by StickyDBRmf