Why become a member? ×

What spares and backup do you take to a gig?

makk509

I recently had an amp cut out on me during a gig. Luckily it started working again a few minutes later but it made me think about what spares are realistic to take to a gig. 

Spare strings, batteries etc. are a given. A second guitar is also a good idea in my opinion but what else? Spare amp? Second cab? 

What do you guys carry and if you don't carry spares what do you do when something fails?

If you are taken as a given that we have spare leads, batteries, strings etc. I would say that I take spare fuses.  Of the larger items; I have spare amps and cabs at home (to get me through the next gigs till things are fixed) but I take a Sansamp pedal which I have in-line and I've been running an XLR line-out to our PA (vocals, guitar [guitarist has no backline] and kick drum), which I can switch in 'IF' my rig went down.  It only takes 2 minutes and 1 XLR cable to set up my back up.  

• Like 1

At leat two of everything except cab and fx. A good Jack is to zip tie two mains leads together side by side so if one fails you don’t need to root around for the spare. Each end of ONE mains lead has red insulating tape so I don’t rig up with non connected ends!

• Like 3

Is it time for this thread again?

I'm one of these irresponsible, unprofessional blaggards who doesn't take a spare bass or amp. I have a Behringer preamp/DI which I can use to go through the PA in an emergency. I do take spare strings, leads, batteries etc. Usually they have been used to bail other people out...

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Is it time for this thread again?

I'm one of these irresponsible, unprofessional blaggards who doesn't take a spare bass or amp. I have a Behringer preamp/DI which I can use to go through the PA in an emergency. I do take spare strings, leads, batteries etc. Usually they have been used to bail other people out...

Yep. If you're the sort of person who carries spare leads, etc, yours are likely to be in good nick and not fail unexpectedly.

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

For all of those who take loads of extra spares to a gig. Do you check that they are all working each time?

I use the spare leads at rehearsals. I assume batteries will be good until their expiry date. But that does remind me that I ought to check that DI - it does tend to live in its box...

I'll sometimes take a spare bass, if the size and importance of the gig warrants it. When we toured as a support act, I took a full size P bass type, but we were away from home for a number of days. We have another couple of dates coming up, but we're home after each one, so I'll probably just take a short-scale. 

I don't rely on my amp for my main sound, just a bit of monitoring, so I don't usually bother with a spare, as I can get away with just using whatever wedges are available.

I always carry spare instrument leads and speakons, but never xlr's (unless I'm supplying the PA as well)

• Like 1

I think it depends on how often you're gigging. If its just a few random ones now and then the chances of something catastrophic happening are pretty remote if you tend to look after your gear. A spare lead, battery, gaffa tape and strings would probably get you through most things. 

If you're out most weekends or even more and doing pubs/clubs then it's probably worth being a bit more prepared/self sufficient. I fall into that category and consequently always take 2 basses in case of electronics failure or string breaks. I keep a little Quilter BB800 on top of a main stage amp for a 10 second change over in case the amp dies. I use 2 1x12 cabs instead of a single 2x12 - if one dies i still have something to use. My gig bag has a few spare cables and mains leads in it and I always have some sort of DI out on my little pedalboard. 

Having said that, in the last 12 years of gigging most weekends I've broken one string (opening note of the first set!) and an amp has failed once. We've had a PA speaker fail once and we used one of my cabs to get through it.

One of the guys is forever having guitar amp issues though - either blowing valves, amps dying on him, dodgy pedalboard connections or knocking switches on the amp without noticing then trying to see what he's done in the dark. That's pretty stressful for everyone. I think it's just him though as the lead guitarist rarely has any problems. 

And there's a fire extinguisher in the van outside if we need it 😂

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

I have two of everything that I use, except speaker cab. If I had to I could manage with just my

monitor, so all bases covered ( see what I did there?).

Years of working with guitarists who have trouble with pedals and their leads have made me

minimise my signal chain to keep things simple and hassle free. Clip on tuner helps with this

( with a spare too).

• Like 1

We do have a pretty unique procedure - if the bass rig craps out completely then one of the bari sax players swaps to playing the bass guitar parts and I go to the bar! :D 

It hasn't happened yet, but it's like having a back up me!

But generally - 

2 basses

2 amps

1 cab

di box (if there's a PA. No point if not!)

Always a spare guitar lead and Speakon speaker cable, battery, spare IEC power cable.

Pretty much everything other than the cab.

• Like 2

I take 2 of everything: 2 basses, 2 amps, 2 cabs and 2 sets of leads.

I have spares of everything else as well: tuners, batteries, strings, strap, earplugs and fuses. I had a Marshall in the 70's that was blowing fuses so I got in a few of every fuse I needed. I haven't changed a fuse on a gig since then, but I still carry the tub full of fuses. A few years back, I was able to save the gigs when a guitar amp and a PA desk blew fuses. I only take 1 trolley, but with the light cabs I don't always need it.

Lightweight and small gear means it easily fits in the back of the hatchback, with the rear seats up.

• Like 2

I'm a drummer, and wouldn't consider going to a gig without a spare snare drum, bass drum, one of each tom and few spare cymbals. Spare stands are on hand, and I've a stick bag (and a spare one...) clipped onto each side of my drum throne, and the back-up throne. Bitter experience has shown me that only one spare bass drum pedal is not enough, so I use a double pedal, with a pair of spare ones close by. I don't carry spare heads any more, as it's quicker to roll out the spare drum riser and change the whole kit; I have to check that the drum risers have spare castors, of course, as it wouldn't do to have it all stuck halfway off the stage. I take it as 'given' that the PA folk have spare mics for the set-up, but I have a flight case of ancillary mic's on hand if needed. For the 'live' recordings, I usually rely on having two (sometimes three...) digital recorders rolling, and a trusty pair of Revox reel-to-reels taping everything. Our second tour-bus is followed by an AA van in between venues. We've never had a failure yet, so I don't know if any of these precautions would save the night or not, but it's worth it just for the peace of mind. My stand-in agrees. -_-

• Haha 6

I don't use a back line so my set up is bass > wireless > tuner > DI/EQ pedal > desk.  I take a spare for every part of the chain - spare bass, a lead coiled up next to the wireless, spare DI, clip on tuner.  Had to change basses twice at a gig - broken string and a dodgy jack - it is so much easier to just reach over to the stand and grab bass #2.

When I used a backline I always carried a spare amp.   Had a tube amp go kaboom on soundcheck once (now THAT was expensive) so took my spare out of the boot. 

• Like 1

As an absolute bare minimum, I take an extra one of each type of cable I use, the last set of still-serviceable strings which came off my bass, a fresh set of batteries for anything that takes them, and a really basic toolkit. And some bog roll and antibacterial hand-wipes.

Unless I'm travelling by train, I'll normally have a backup bass with me. I keep a DI box, strap, lead, tuner, picks and earplugs in its gigbag since I figure that's just enough to get me through a gig with PA or a house/loaner amp if the rest of my kit had mysteriously vanished.

If I'm using my pedalboard I take a spare wireless pack, and the board itself starts with an A/B box that has the wireless on one input and a cable ready to go on the other. The board also ends with a Sansamp that isn't part of my sound - it's just there to help out if stuff goes wrong.

I've needed the backup bass once due to my main picking up interference from something, had a cable die on me travelling between two gigs in the same afternoon so had to use the extra one, and needed to use the Sansamp once when the house amp went down.

• Like 1

Everything apart from speaker cabs but I use two anyway. Spare amp , Spare bass , spare mic and stand  - every single lead/cable/whatever.

And I never forget my golden rule which is if you're using a 20 foot cable then a 10 foot one is NOT a spare.

I suppose my second bass isn't really a spare because it's different - as is my amp for that matter - but it allows me to carry on which is the point.

• Like 2

2 x basses, main and backup (backup is easier than fitting strings in the dark on stage).

Holdall containing pedal board, 2 x power supplies, extension lead (everything PAT tested), leads,  mic, mic stand, in ear wireless monitor, picks, MU liability insurance certificate, SKOL bar towel, couple bottles of San Pellegrino, multi tool.

• Like 1

In my younger days, I was lucky to have a spare cable. I’ve been using a new setup, so have been carrying an extra amp around. I think I’m to the place now that I’m comfortable bringing a DI box instead. Still going to bring 2 basses though

• Like 2

I bought my GK MB 800 secondhand and when I first tried it there was a audible distortion when playing. I took the case apart and made sure all components and plugs were properly seated on the main board. When I put it back together again the distortion was gone and it's never failed me live but since then I always take a spare head, just in case.

My gig bag is full of tools and batteries, spare strings etc.

When recording, or playing a very important gig, I'll take a spare bass. 

• Like 1