Why become a member? ×

Smoothest roundwounds that hurt fingers the least?

MrWriter

Can you guys be kind enough to tell me, from your years of experience and trying different strings, which brand and model of regular roundwound strings are the smoothest and easiest on the fingers, the ones that have the least amount of 'cheese grater' tearing away at the skin on the tips of your right hand (left if you're left handed).

I am not an experienced bass player and don't play that often, but when I do pick up the bass I find after just 10 or 15 minutes of playing the two plucking fingertips of my right hand and starting to feel a bit sore.

I don't play hard, just medium finger style.

I've only ever played with D'Addario EXL170 which are round wound nickel wound 45,65,80,100 gauge. 

As you can see these strings are not exactly heavy, just regular, as I don't play that much or that hard so the E string does not vibrate around too much and I like the feel of them and I've heard heavier strings will probably hurt even more.

So, after all that, from experience, can you guys tell me which make and model of roundwound (I don't want to go half rounds or flat as they feel sticky and some don't have the same bright sound I like so they are definitely out as I've tried them on my mates basses).

One person said the Fender 7250ML (45,65,80,100, which I like) are quite smooth and don't hurt as much as other brands.

I was looking at Ernie Ball Super Slinky (45,65,80,100) also.

Any suggestions?

When you play bass regularly you'll get blisters and eventually calluses build up on your fingers and they don't hurt anymore. If you don't play regularly the calluses don't have time to harden your fingers and every time you pick a bass up and play it, after a while, your fingers will start to hurt again. I don't think changing the strings will make it hurt any less (and strings are expensive to experiment on).

Most of my guitar playing friends, who occasionally play bass, tend to use a pick for this very reason. Maybe that would be an idea for you.

Depending on budget, have you thought to try GHS Ground or the Rotosound Solo Bass Pressure Wound 40-100 or 45-105. Shame, these were on Special offer with PMT music a month back...

https://www.rotosound.com/product-category/bass-guitar-strings/solo-bass/

I have the Roto Solo Bass 45-105 back on my Ibanez SR600...

Bass strings are a bit pricy just to try though... 

Back on special at £22

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/rotosound-solo-bass55-45-105?gclid=Cj0KCQiAz9ieBhCIARIsACB0oGJwCQZ2n-tivyhvbPn2DNL1WElVkeY_klAK_b9a9s_4uCodbN7oWhAaAvXsEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

EDIT: Sorry, just re-read and you don't want Half Rounds...

Edited by PaulThePlug

I usually fit TI Flats to all my basses but felt one recent acquisition needed a little extra bite.  I asked a similar question to you and was recommended Ernie Ball Extra Slinkies, so a lighter gauge to the ones you were considering.  I am quite enjoying them, the least harsh of any rounds I have tried.  The aren't particularly dear, either, compared to TIs.

9 minutes ago, Gwilym said:

Rotos feel pretty rough IIRC. DR Sunbeam Nickels are the most recent set I bought. They don't feel rough (or sticky) and they sound great. If you don't play regularly though you will always get sore fingers to a greater or lesser extent.

Rotosound Swing 66s used to tear my fingers up something rotten til the'd bedded in. No problems with Elixirs though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gjones said:

When you play bass regularly you'll get blisters and eventually calluses build up on your fingers and they don't hurt anymore. If you don't play regularly the calluses don't have time to harden your fingers and every time you pick a bass up and play it, after a while, your fingers will start to hurt again. I don't think changing the strings will make it hurt any less (and strings are expensive to experiment on).

Most of my guitar playing friends, who occasionally play bass, tend to use a pick for this very reason. Maybe that would be an idea for you.

Very much this ^^^ It's a right of passage for playing a stringed instrument. Also @itu makes a very good point about material sensitivity. The D'Addarios you're using are pretty soft feeling by my reckoning, but are nickel plated, as are EB Slinkys (very similar strings IMO) and your issue may lay here (although I'd expect fretting hand issues too). After long, heavy playing sessions, I would often find my plucking fingers became sore, so would revert to a pick for the rest of that session and revert back to finger style next time around. However, when I changed to EB Cobalt flats, this was never an issue and the joy of these, price notwithstanding, is that they pretty much retain that roundwound sound and I never found them to be sticky, unlike other flatwounds I have used. Like others have said above, I would avoid Rotosounds as I too have found them to be very rough in comparison to others. The same for any stainless steel ones I have used (although I have not tried many). It may just be a case of playing more often, but for less time and building up your calluses. 

If you take price and quality into account, I have had the most joy (as far as roundwounds are concerned) with DR Sunbeams and DR Pure Blues. Round rather than hexagonal core wire, which makes them more pliable, and being nickel are IMHO much easier on the fingers than stainless steel. For a 34" long scale bass, try the 40-100 gauge (similar tension to TI Jazz Flats)

5 hours ago, itu said:

If you are sensitive to the material, a slight help may be the change to stainless steel (which also contains nickel, by the way). If you like light, try 40-95.

This came straight to mind while I was reading the original post. The strings mentioned are nickel plated rounds, and some people have reactions to the nickel, making the fingertips quite sensitive. Do your fingertips go white, like you've got dead skin, when you've played for a bit?. Certainly did for me when I tried them, haven't had any issues since moving to stainless steel rounds.

Currently using D'Addario Pro Steels, which feel great to me, sound great too. Might be worth a try. Another plus side of stainless strings is that they last for ages.

Edited by Skybone

If you are tearing up your fingers and getting blisters when playing bass, you're doing it wrong and wasting a lot of energy in the process.

Don't hit, pull or dig in. You need a firm touch but need to play with some finesse and you won't have any problems.

These, but they do stay bright and zingy for a really loooong time

EBS US Titanium Nickel Strings

The new EBS nickel strings are made in the USA. Characterized by great playing comfort and durability due to tight wiring. Made with a high-quality steel core of Swedish steel just like the EBS Steel Strings.  Long scale (36.5 inches/93 cm).

image.png.a6f801f6e2227080a4faeac43bd59b58.png

Assuming you already doesn't apply more pressure than needed when fretting notes, Elixir Nanoweb nickel-plated roundwounds, hands down.

If you don't like coated strings D'Addario NYXL are a bit smoother than regular XL strings as well, and actually last longer too.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Fender 9120M. They're tapewound strings but not dark and thumpy like most tapewounds. They're roundwound so retain a decent amount of zing (sound like a played in roundwound) but have a quite slippery nylon outer wind so very easy on fingers. 

Nobody ever seems to mention them on the here but I really like them, they sound great on an acoustic or electric. 

They used to be really cheap but as with all strings the price has now crept up, if you shop around you might still find them at a decent price. 

Edited by Maude

On 31/01/2023 at 12:31, Paul S said:

Do Elixir make a short scale, does anyone know?  A cursory Google would suggest not.

They don't.

However I have never had any issues with cutting regular long scale strings to size to fit short scale basses, and I've done that a lot.

As long as the strings are roundwound with a hex core and you remember to make a sharp 90 degree bend bellow the cutting point before you cut you should be safe (be aware though that this only really work with roundwound hex core strings and that you really shouldn't try to do this with non roundwound or non hex core roundwound strings as chances are high that you otherwise will end up ruining the strings).

If you really got OCD about it though then following dip the short bend piece of the string in super glue (obviously the really thin kind) and let it cure for 24 hours (yes, it will bond and dry in a matter of a few minutes, but by far most super glue actually takes about 24 hours to fully cure), but as said I have never had any issues whatsoever just doing as described above.

@Lozz196

And yes, I agree, it seems strange that, as far as I know, the string manufactures haven't really followed the general tendency of the market and started to offer more short scale string solutions at all as short scale basses have become increasingly more and more popular and more and more short scale basses has been introduced to the market, with probably more currently in production short scale bass models available and more people playing them than ever before. 

To me it seems like they are missing out on an obvious business opportunity.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1