Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

You have just over 5 hours to get your last minute purchases in, if you want to join those of us who are deluded enough to think we'll make it through 12 months without buying something we don't need...

I think the rules are in the below topic:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/331041-2019-gear-abstinence-challenge-updated-with-rules/

From March 18 until the end of last year on average I bought a new bass every 32 days. After a fair bit of thinkering, selling and returning, I was left a month ago with the three beauties in the first picture - all cheap but modded, very different necks, and with flats-rounds-tapes.  After swapping some pickups, I remember thinking that, honestly, I had all I needed and some. Then two days later GAS was back and for some reason I was thinking that for as much as I love Ps I should also have something more funky, maybe a Stingray copy or a J.
Then the blue Cort in the second picture literally popped back into my life and now I have that as well. I have only managed to try the Cort through a small practice amp so far, and already for some reason I find myself thinking about possible pickup or preamp replacements.
So, yes, maybe I do need a good period of abstinence :D

However, I have decided to make it into a slightly different game for myself.
After I
-1) learn, well for my skill level, 30 new songs - a random and meaningless number as not all songs are equal but better than nothing
2) finish (with exercises and everything) at least one of the two courses I started on Talkingbass, either walking bass or chords for bass
3) Try to do a full fret dressing - not hoping to be a pro but I'd like to get to the point that fretwork is not really a worry anymore when I buy my next cheap bass
4) get myself to find the right drill bit and finally replace the tuners of the PJ and one of the Ps with some Hipshot Licensed Ultralight I have already
5) lacquer the neck of the PJ

...after that, I consider myself free to buy something

20221218_233417.jpg

20221228_163423.jpg

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 2

No basses in or out in 2022 and no plans for any in 2023.

However as a general thing i have been looking for a used short scale alembic series II  4 string but not seen one up for sale for many years. But not in a hurry and if i find one it will be one in and one out. 🤓

Ok here I am, i'm claiming the biggest fail of last year after buying a total of 19 in 2022 after falling off the wagon late Feb.

My strategy is that I've loaded myself up at the end of 2022 with decent stuff I am happy with, my weakness will be bargains on Facebook etc that I fancy tinkering with and reselling. 100% nothing I need.

• Like 1

Yeah why not.  

Getting rid of the Encore and replacing it with a headless bass leaves a gap on the wall to be filled, but I’ve no real plan for the gap.  Something with a maple fingerboard, but I don’t know what “something” is.  If I get a bonus at work though, this could change.

I’ve no more room on the pedal board and need to start using the looper (Christmas present) for it’s intended purpose of practice (but I did see a very good Ed Sheeran tribute act the other day).

The piano and keyboard have been with me for 20 - 25 years so they won’t be going anywhere or acquiring new mates.

I think the work bonus is the main threat for me.

3 hours ago, SH73 said:

So, supposing you see something in the market place or else you always wanted but at a affordable price, you will say no. I think not.

It's like joining the gym in January......

That's all part of the adrenaline fuelled adventure that is the gear abstinence thread. It's like a real-life version of "Squid game".

Fortunately for me, the only bass on my radar would need to sell for 10% of its original price in order for it to be affordable at the moment and, as they're pretty rare, I reckon I'm ok. 

I’m in, with the caveat that I’m already in discussions to buy an expression pedal but with one thing and another the purchase has been pushed into this year. Is that allowed?

The only thing which may push me off the wagon this year is if the 100W Stoneham comes to fruition. Other than that I genuinely do not want or need anything for once….

13 minutes ago, Merton said:

I’m in, with the caveat that I’m already in discussions to buy an expression pedal but with one thing and another the purchase has been pushed into this year. Is that allowed?

The only thing which may push me off the wagon this year is if the 100W Stoneham comes to fruition. Other than that I genuinely do not want or need anything for once….

Nope, things arriving this year are only exempt if they were paid for (by you) in 2022.  From now on, only unprompted gifts from others are allowed.

• Like 1

My name is Skinnyman and I am a serial GASer. I need help and I sign up here in the hope that, with your support, I can avoid buying any gear this year.

This is a triple challenge for me as I also play guitar and keys in my current band so not only have I to abstain from bass-related acquisitions, I have to stay on the synth and  geetar wagons as well.

All that said, I currently have all of the gear I need for personal and gig use (must keep telling myself that) and Santa brought me a new sequencer, a drum machine and a loop pedal.

Hopefully, this means I’ll be able to actually learn to play some of the gear I’ve got rather than just keep buying and selling it (I do realise that I’m only kidding myself.). 

Thank you, brothers and sisters

• Like 1