Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

Seeing lots of great gear for sale coming into my social media feeds lately 🙈

Thankfully in my area it's all Acoustic 6 string things other 6 string things - ya know the ones with the wussy strings.

I haven’t bought anything in years. 

I do intend on selling some more equipment that’s just sitting in the closet… speakers, pedals, recording gear, maybe a bass…

In the last few years I’ve unloaded three basses, an amp, a sans amp, a radial di, a shure mic and a compressor pedal. 

Stuff out + nothing incoming = space 

👍🏻

25 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm out...

https://harleybenton.com/product/marquess-5-blue-stain/

Bought what might be the last b-stock as no signs of them restocking these.

thumbnail_16316448_800.jpg

These are great looking basses and that's been quite a short production run! I didn't hold onto mine (also B-stock - I wonder if the returns were killing the margins on these for Thomann?) as I couldn't get comfortable with the amount of neck dive, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with yours in that regard. 

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

These are great looking basses and that's been quite a short production run! I didn't hold onto mine (also B-stock - I wonder if the returns were killing the margins on these for Thomann?) as I couldn't get comfortable with the amount of neck dive, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with yours in that regard. 

They have a very light wood for the body which will affect a fiver. Never worried me though, I'll just get another wide lekato memory foam strap, ideal for heavy basses but also super grippy.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

They have a very light wood for the body which will affect a fiver. Never worried me though, I'll just get another wide lekato memory foam strap, ideal for heavy basses but also super grippy.

Ah cool if your strap prevents neck dive, that's a bit of a game changer!

4 minutes ago, ezbass said:

What have you bought?

Well…I saw some machineheads…

I thought “does that count in the abstinence thread?!” - I didn’t “need” them and they’re not to replace broken things…

Then I thought - hah, well, while you’re at it - and the same basschatter had a body and some pickups and it sort of tumbled from there…

so I’m building a 62 ish p-bass.

Its a long term plan though.

I can’t afford a nice neck for a month or so…

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well…I saw some machineheads…

Reminds me of my first BEX4 purchase. My wife got the email notification from PayPal after I'd sent payment. She text me asking, "What have you bought now?" I thought she wouldn't have bothered opening and reading it so replied, "Just some strings off Basschat". 

"What! For £280?"

"Er yeah, they're still attached to a bass." 

😄

• Haha 5

I'm probably in for the whole year so long as strings don't count. Strings not attached to a bass, that is. No, nor any other type of instrument. I'm left-handed so the temptation is low and my two are both hard to top for what I like so it's extremely unlikely anything new will be entering my bass gear collection this year.

What is Basschat'opinion on this: in December I managed to bring home an old Cort bought when I was 18. Until this week I could only play it in a practice amp but now I find that I really do not like the preamp. I did not like it when I was 18 either but now I suspect it may not even be in great shape (volume goes down when I switch to active, which is a bit unusual). Eventually I'll treat myself to a preamp replacement but in the mean time I was thinking I could just get a KiOgon loom, take the preamp off and play passive. While this is not an upgrade technically, it would however introduce a passive tone control that is not there.

Is this "new gear"?😁

1 hour ago, Paolo85 said:

What is Basschat'opinion on this: in December I managed to bring home an old Cort bought when I was 18. Until this week I could only play it in a practice amp but now I find that I really do not like the preamp. I did not like it when I was 18 either but now I suspect it may not even be in great shape (volume goes down when I switch to active, which is a bit unusual). Eventually I'll treat myself to a preamp replacement but in the mean time I was thinking I could just get a KiOgon loom, take the preamp off and play passive. While this is not an upgrade technically, it would however introduce a passive tone control that is not there.

Is this "new gear"?😁

Tricky.  I think it would have to be properly "broken" in order to be considered a repair.  You've kinda outed yourself by alluding to the fact that there's a degree of personal preference to this issue - I would have neglected to mention that if I was pitching this ;)

I think the KiOgon loom would fall foul, but ironically, directly replacing the preamp wouldn't, IF the existing preamp was demonstratably faulty.  The hardcore among us might argue that if it's useable in passive mode then you should just soldier on as it's still able to be used as a bass, but I'm not a total meanie...

18 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You've kinda outed yourself by alluding to the fact that there's a degree of personal preference to this issue - I would have neglected to mention that if I was pitching this ;)

I am not very good at this! I guess that's why lawyers exist😁

I'd already fallen from grace, but last night my bro sent me a facebook link to someone selling a Hardly bent-one '1950 P' in Fiesta red in my town. Only £105 new the guy aid £70.

Bro forced me to go for it 'even as a wall decoration' but fortunately the guy had pulled the listing in the 30 minutes it too for me to cave in.

• Haha 1