Why become a member? ×

Another one for Stanley Clarke fans

Clarky

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Proof that just because you have a great deal of talent for working with wood don't necessarily mean that your design skills are up to scratch as well.

IME the best luthiers are nearly always ones who initially trained in some other creative arts.

It's not Ken's fault

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Proof that just because you have a great deal of talent for working with wood don't necessarily mean that your design skills are up to scratch as well.

IME the best luthiers are nearly always ones who initially trained in some other creative arts.

I’m going to assume you haven’t seen his regular designs? Plus he was a bass player first, bass maker second. 

it’d be interesting to see how easy it is to play and how it sounds. It’s definitely of an era. 

15 hours ago, ped said:

It's not Ken's fault

In what way is it not his fault? He could have always tried to gently persuade Mr Clarke to pick one of his standard design basses instead, and if that didn't work just say: "no".

I can never quite understand the thinking behind getting a luthier to build you something that is wildly different from their normal style (c.f. the Alien Ant Farm Fender bass). Surely you pick your luthier because you like the style of instruments they are already making? And this one appears to have Alembic electronics shoehorned into the design rather than the standard pre-amp you'd get if you ordered a Ken Smith bass. Mr Clarke was already a well-known Alembic user so why not get them to make this bass? It's far more in keeping with their design ethos.

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In what way is it not his fault? He could have always tried to gently persuade Mr Clarke to pick one of his standard design basses instead, and if that didn't work just say: "no".

I can never quite understand the thinking behind getting a luthier to build you something that is wildly different from their normal style (c.f. the Alien Ant Farm Fender bass). Surely you pick your luthier because you like the style of instruments they are already making? And this one appears to have Alembic electronics shoehorned into the design rather than the standard pre-amp you'd get if you ordered a Ken Smith bass. Mr Clarke was already a well-known Alembic user so why not get them to make this bass? It's far more in keeping with their design ethos.

I don’t think Ken’s style was so well

established back then and he more than likely did it to make a name for himself. Having heard Ken talk about how the innovators like him and Carl Thompson evolved it seems like it was largely by getting basses into the hands of equally innovative bass players who were themselves quite a small and tightly knit community. A ‘no’ from Ken could easily have been a fatal mistake, and he might have thought it would strengthen his brand/relationship with Stanley and others. I think lots of those early innovators have designs they’d be fairly ashamed of nowadays!

• Like 1

The preamp is designed by HAZ labs for Smith. Again as Alembic were also innovating at this time it’s quite hard to separate who was copying whom but here’s the manual for that pre. I don’t think Alembic ever made a preamp with built in envelope filter (obviously they had and still have filter based preamps)

01194439-2443-4FC6-927F-4DD4535CE1ED.jpeg

21 hours ago, Beedster said:

So Stanley owns a Marcus sig, interesting 🤔

He apparently used it too on His Album The Message (Track: Last Train To Sanity) according to the 2015 article from Bass Player (From which that pic came)

Edit to say: I think that Album is actually called Up in the UK

Edited by Sonic_Groove
Album Uk name
  • Like 1