Why become a member? ×

Companies That Do Things Right!

binky_bass

There's a few threads around focusing of companies that do things poorly (and these threads genuinely very useful!) But in the interest of trying to promote 'good news' I thought I'd start a thread where we can mention companies that do things right or that go above and beyond. (If such a thread already exists then I shall gladly take my lashes).

So, my first nomination is Pinegrove Leather. Maker of fine Leather items, mostly straps and whatnot. 

I own a few Pinegrove products, most recently was my purchase of a rather funky bright orange and black 4" padded leather strap that was in their 'special offer' section. After I bought it for an already heavily discounted price due to a few marks on it, Rod (owner) contacted me to say he'd noticed a few additional scuffs that he didn't capture in the photos, he gave me the choice of a refund or a bit more money off. I happily accepted his offer of a bit of off the top and the strap arrived 2 days later. Honestly, if Rod didn't mention the few minor scuffs, I'd not have thought anything of it as it was advertised as having a few minor blemishes anyway.

It goes to the honesty and integrity of Rod and his business. Absolutely excellent products made here in the UK, fantastic craftsmanship and top notch customer service too. Definitely worthy of a shout out.

What other business are worthy of a 'doing things right' shout out? It'd be good to hear about other such instances!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to big up Guitar Guitar. I saw that they had a second hand acoustic guitar (yes, I know) in Epsom. This was my old, local store, but is now over 500 miles away, so I used the telephone to enquire about it. Expecting a, “Yeah, it’s a good one that, do you want it?” I instead received, “I haven’t played that, do you mind hanging on and I’ll give a quick play.” A short time passed and the chap returned and gave an honest appraisal and was still playing (or at least someone was) it when he returned to the phone. One of the things he pointed out made me decide to pass.

Picking up the phone to the seller (providing it isn’t a generic call centre) often brings good results. I remember having an issue with my Vax cordless vacuum cleaner, I phoned Vax and they talked me through a few tests, decided the motor was at fault and sent me out a new assembly straight away. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Vax product now.

• Like 3

Fairly recently had a positive first-and-only experience of dealing with Live Louder in Altrincham. Friendly and helpful on the phone, gave the bass I was after a full look-over for any dings it might have picked up in the shop, packed it up well, sent it out as promised and even wrote me a little note on the invoice to say they hoped I'd enjoy my new toy! So far, so good.

WD Music have always been very good at replying to emails, and they sent me a replacement for a duff tuning key in a boxed set I'd bought without any questions at all. I've never experienced any messing about when buying tools and parts from Northwest Guitars, Vanson Guitars or Glued to Music either.

Will absolutely second the feedback here for Ashdown (happily still servicing an original ABM 400 for not very much cost at all, amongst other things) and Barefaced (Alex has always been really thorough and crazily detailed and informative on any responses to email questions or queries).

Actually, Guitar Guitar (Birmingham is my local one) have also always been great on the occasions I’ve had cause to visit too.

The Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham I’ll also big up. They have some tasty stock from time to time and have done a few bits of tech work for me that have been bang on.

• Like 1

When Gibson put automatic tuners on all their instruments with no option to request the outdated 'normal' tuners. Designed entirely with the musician in mind, this innovation allowed musicians to spend more time playing music rather as opposed to wasting time tuning their instrument. 

Unfortunately the general public were too resistant to change to truly appreciate this groundbreaking consumer-friendly technological development. 

• Haha 1

Wunjo Bass that London.

I wanted to try a Peavey Vypyr VIP III, but they didn't have any in stock. Actually up to that point they'd never had any.

Laurence said to me they would order one, I could try it, and if I didn't like it no worries because it's a cool thing to have in the shop.

I did like it, they price matched and free delivery :) 

I've bought other stuff - multi fx; comfort strap; etc - and they have always been lovely.

Edited by MacDaddy
wrong tense.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Wunjo Bass that London.

I wanted to try a Peavey Vypyr VIP III, but they didn't have any in stock. Actually up to that point they'd never had any.

Laurence said to me they would order one, I could try it, and if I didn't like it no worries because it's a cool thing to have in the shop.

I did like it, they price matched and free delivery :) 

I've bought other stuff - multi fx; comfort strap; etc - and they have always been lovely.

Married to my cousin, is Laurence. Lovely chap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, binky_bass said:

...So, my first nomination is Pinegrove Leather. Maker of fine Leather items, mostly straps and whatnot...

R91KekF.gif

A high respect for this outfit, and Rod in particular. I bought a drumstick bag, discounted as being 'last of series'. After payment, Rod contacted me to explain that, since recent EU changes, it would cost a fortune to send the bag from the UK to France. He suggested cancelling the order, after which he would offer the same bag again, but from his 'Etsy' outlet, which operates from within the EU, at this same reduced price, and I could buy it from there. Deal done, and the bag really is splendid (it will outlast me, and a generation more, I'd say...). Such attention to individual orders is definitely 'above and beyond', and the communications were friendly, smooth and pertinent. No hesitation in recommending them for their fine products and excellent customer service. OK, not the cheapest around, but at least worth a look if quality is of any importance. :friends:

• Like 2

+1 for Wunjo. Completely no pressure sales and great service. I can get my bass set up there for free at any time forever, sadly I don't live or work close enough for that to be worthwhile but it's a great commitment!

North West Guitars have been brilliant with me phoning up and asking random questions about electronics and hardware. 

Manson's in Exeter are fantastic as well, whether in person while I'm visiting family in the area, or remotely when I'm ordering Mojo fake leather straps from them. 

Not a UK company, but an honourable mention to SKB in the States. I bought one of their 6U rack cases (used) way back in the day, and it didn't have many of the little captive nut things for fixing the rack gear in place. I had trouble finding a UK distributor so I emailed them in the US. Told them I'd bought this case secondhand, needed some more nuts, and was there a UK outlet they could point me at? The reply was something like "Oh yes, they can be a bit hard to find, give us your address and we'll pop some in the post FOC". A full pack of twelve turned up 2 or 3 days later all the way from Orange County California. Didn't cost me a bean.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

As we’ve gone a bit international - DiMarzio. Every time I’ve needed advice from them they’ve been quick to respond and always helpful. I once received a reply from Steve Blucher, he’s the guy who makes the pickups for Vai, Satriani, etc. He doesn’t need to help the likes of me, but he did. This in stark contrast to another pickup manufacturer on the opposite, US seaboard (sorry for the addition of a negative note there).

Marks & Spencer. I returned my third pair of underpants last week for fraying and thinning after a mere three years of service. I explained that they were treated with due care, they get washed once a month whether they need it or not.

They were happy to help, I've never witnessed such rapidity in service, I was out of there in no time at all.

• Haha 1

Another vote for Wunjo who gave me a really good trade in on my bass, and did a great job with a pickup upgrade.  Old fashioned no pressure friendly service.

IK Multimedia - they offer quite a lot of free software so that you buy more expensive stuff.  The online support I've received on the free software is top notch.