Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

I would tend to agree, but then again the only bassists I actually like as musicians are Peter Hook and Mick Karn, and while they don't do "bass solos" in the accepted sense, what they play is very much front and centre in the arrangement/mix of their respective bands.

I like both of those guys and agree re playing front and centre but can’t say they are the only bassists I like as musicians. Of the top of my head I could add:

Jah Wobble 

Aston Barrett

Carol Kaye

Donald Dunn

Sir Horace Gentleman 

Lemmy

Danny Thompson 

Geezer Butler 

and many, many more 

Edited by tegs07

28 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

So are you saying you don't like ANY instrumental songs?

To me, it's the song as a whole.  I don't care if the leading instrument is a vocal, a bass, lead guitar or a triangle, if the song sounds good to me, that's what counts.
I love the bass.  A great bassline can really make or break a song (though I think the same can be said for any instrument).

Here's an entire audience singing along with the bass & loving it...

It's not so much that I don't like instrumentals. It's just that for me, vocals, and especially lyrics are the most important part of a song. Without it there's just no focus. I could probably happily tap my feet to an instrumental, but I wouldn't play it more than once because it's meaningless. 

As for Vulfpeck. I'd rather listen to roadworks. 

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's not so much that I don't like instrumentals. It's just that for me, vocals, and especially lyrics are the most important part of a song. Without it there's just no focus. I could probably happily tap my feet to an instrumental, but I wouldn't play it more than once because it's meaningless. 

Since working from home i’ve been getting into jazz and recently classical. i can’t concentrate when vocals cut through the music…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't concentrate when I hear jazz. It makes my brain itch. Can't stand it. 

See, that's my thing...  I love jazz.  Recently discovered R+R=Now & Collagically Speaking is an amazing album (IMO of course).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Meaningless to you  😉

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't concentrate when I hear jazz. It makes my brain itch. Can't stand it. 

It’s a fairly broad church. I could say the same about metal but would be thinking of Napalm Death at breakfast time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

England are playing New Zealand at Lord's. Anderson and Broad are back and bowling. New Zealand are 12 for 4 at drinks.

For a fan of English cricket, it doesn't get much better than that. :)

Off now to do the fishwrapper. Ah well, can't have everything I guess. :/

Laterz chaps. :hi:

Is this a misplaced DOI post?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You're obviously listening to a different Glitterband to the one I remember, as IMO their songs weren't even good enough to be filler tracks on GG album. 

They had  seven hits in the UK, five in the top ten, the best reaching number 2. Two of them wrote a song that finished 16th in Eurovision 2000.

Just sayin'

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

To my ears there are very few solos on any instrument that serve the song

Aye, and in any style IMHO including jazz, even though I love jazz.
I suspect this is a popular opinion and thus off-topic, but I hear way too many standard licks and runs that have very little to do with the essence of the composition, runs that could be used (and sadly are used) in just about any piece. Slight exaggeration, but still.

My jazz teachers stressed the necessity to build up a wide range of standard runs in every key, as a library of sorts.
Er ... no.
No effin' way. 

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You're obviously listening to a different Glitterband to the one I remember, as IMO their songs weren't even good enough to be filler tracks on GG album. 

Just catching up on this thread and still a lot to read but i have seen a few comments about The Glitter Band. The drummer in both my bands played with the Glitter Band during 90's. He's played some amazing venues including Wembley Arena and major venues in Germany.

We play some of the GB songs in our 70's Glam Rock covers band. 

As a teenager in 70's i bought Gary Glitter singles and one album and also a few of the GB singles. 

Their career carried on but to be honest it was the run down of Glam Rock in mid 70's that dampened the classic Glam Rock bands.

As a Glam covers band we ddid agree not to play ang GG songs.

My unpopular styles of music are Rap or similar styles. I dont appreciate "Boy" or "Girl" bands as i find them a bit fake. Not so much a band as simply a group of singers and i use that word loosely as without autotune i dont think many of them can hold a tune.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

My unpopular styles of music are Rap or similar styles. I dont appreciate "Boy" or "Girl" bands as i find them a bit fake. Not so much a band as simply a group of singers and i use that word loosely as without autotune i dont think many of them can hold a tune.

Dave

Surely boy/girls groups go back to the 60s, especially with Motown. You know the formula, professional songwriters+ace session crew+ photogenic/attractive singers put together by a Svenagli type = a string of mega hits. To be fair to some of the recent ones that came via the X Factor/Pop Stars they could all actually sing pretty well e.g. Girls Aloud, One Direction.

Edited by Barking Spiders

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Surely boy/girls groups go back to the 60s, especially with Motown. You know the formula, professional songwriters+ace session crew+ photogenic/attractive singers put together by a Svenagli type = a string of mega hits. To be fair to some of the recent ones that came via the X Factor/Pop Stars they could all actually sing pretty well e.g. Girls Aloud, One Direction.

Its my own opinion of what i dont like as the OP asked. 

If you like them that's fine, i have no issue with what you like. I just dont like or appreciate them. I was referring to modern groups tho ......... post autune.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Aye, and in any style IMHO including jazz, even though I love jazz.
I suspect this is a popular opinion and thus off-topic, but I hear way too many standard licks and runs that have very little to do with the essence of the composition, runs that could be used (and sadly are used) in just about any piece. Slight exaggeration, but still.

My jazz teachers stressed the necessity to build up a wide range of standard runs in every key, as a library of sorts.
Er ... no.
No effin' way. 

One of the things that irritates me about certain types of jazz gig is where in every piece everyone has to take their turn doing the solo... which involves seeing how many notes can be squeezed into a given time interval... it's just boring.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zbd1960 said:

One of the things that irritates me about certain types of jazz gig is where in every piece everyone has to take their turn doing the solo... which involves seeing how many notes can be squeezed into a given time interval... it's just boring.

You are correct. I have often wondered why I don't like jazz jam sessions....it's exactly this, plus who really wants to stand around playing ii-V-I while a bunch of mediocre folks try to make up stuff based on their favorite (often, only) modal lick. Sax players are the worst, btw. 

Now, give me Tal W on an extended bass solo....I am in!

• Like 1