Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

25 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Joni Mitchell's voice irritates the beJesus out of me.

I love some Joni, but I can see where you’re coming from. I used to be the same with Geddy Lee, but I learned to like it (at least not hate it), which was made easier by already being a Budgie fan. Morrissey is one I can’t learn to like, however, and I’ve really tried, just so I can enjoy Marr & Rourke - no joy (no pun intended).

• Like 1

I've always tried to open to all sorts of music. True, I don't like most of it, but I like to listen to everything I come across or that is recommended to me, at least once so I can make a proper decision. There's nothing wrong with not liking anything made since the mid 70s, but at least be aware of music produced later on, rather than being totally ignorant.

Conversely I also don't like musicians who claim to like "everything". Firstly IME they don't like everything. It's just that they are once again unaware of anything outside of their preferred genres, and secondly if they really did like everything all it shows is that they have no musical filter.

IMO the best musicians and composers are the ones who are properly focussed on the kind of music they want to play/create, but are aware of as much other music as possible. 

Edited by BigRedX

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've always tried to open to all sorts of music. True, I don't like most of it, but I like to listen to everything I come across or that is recommended to me, at least once so I can make a proper decision. There's nothing wrong with not liking anything made since the mid 70s, but at least be aware of music produced later on, rather than being totally ignorant.

Conversely I also don't like musicians who claim to like "everything". Firstly IME they don't like everything. It's just that they are once again unaware of anything outside of their preferred genres, and secondly if they really did like everything all it shows is that they have no musical filter.

IMO the best musicians and composers are the ones who are properly focussed on the kind of music they want to play/create, but are aware of as much other music as possible. 

Very good points there, I`m in agreement, whilst I`d say my fave genres are punk & rock there`s a good amount amongst those that I`m not keen on, and similarly many of my fave songs are from neither, so I`d say really I`m a fan of songs, irrespective of genre.

• Like 3

I know this is definitely an unpopular opinion although the industry stats bear it out... hip hop  / rap has been the dominant music genre of the last 30 years. And it's produced a helluva lot of great and good stuff. I tend to lean towards late 80s-90s stuff but also like Eminem, Jay Z and Drake. With his full band Jay-Z totally rocked Glastonbury 2008 and in doing so gave the middle finger to all the naysayers saying rap shouldn't be there.

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I know this is definitely an unpopular opinion although the industry stats bear it out... hip hop  / rap has been the dominant music genre of the last 30 years. And it's produced a helluva lot of great and good stuff. I tend to lean towards late 80s-90s stuff but also like Eminem, Jay Z and Drake. With his full band Jay-Z totally rocked Glastonbury 2008 and in doing so gave the middle finger to all the naysayers saying rap shouldn't be there.

I was at that Jay Z Glastonbury gig. It wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing. Better than Metallica which was just boring. Of all the metal bands they could have had, they chose those bloated, boring old men. 

Kanye was just crap. Maybe if he removed his head from his anus he might sound better.

Stormzy at Reading was surprisingly good, Rabea Massood opening the set for him on guitar was a good move.

I'm not keen on Rap. I have heard some I like so I can't say I hate the genre. It depends on the song. I can't say I like any single artist in this genre either. The only one I like everything of is Tupac and I'm not holding out too much hope in being able to see him anytime soon.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Probably a lot of truth here, which is why I've struggled as a complete and utter musical tart. I'd love to play in a punky/folky band (something along the lines of the Levellers) but also would love the chance to play Northern Soul. All I know for certain is I never want to be in a blues rock band again.

Won't be a surprise, but listening to various recommendations from people over the years I've got no interest in rap. Speaking in rhythm is not unique to rap, I've sung choral works that require it, such as the geographical fugue which is tricky..., or speaking/singing aleatorically, which is random....  

46 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I love the Beatles but am always amazed  when someone says McCartney is a great bassist. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

It's not about technical ability, it's his note choices and phrasing, and often melodic basslines which could define the harmony.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I love the Beatles but am always amazed  when someone says McCartney is a great bassist. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Fixing a hole has a lovely bass line , I really like the woody sound he got from his hofner bass especially when he plucked up on the high frets . He really uses his scales cleverly 

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

I'm not sure if this is strictly classified as a musical opinion, but I don't like headless basses or guitars. They just don't look right.

They are to basses what Centre Point is to architecture i.e. supposedly modern and cutting edge but actually an eyesore

• Like 1

There's a band booked in to our local venue who play the music of Red Hot Chilli Peppers on bagpipes. 

I have two opinions on that, one controversial and one not.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers haven't made a good song since blood sugar sex magic

Bagpipes cannot improve any music or event or situation. Any situation where a bagpipe is playing could be improved by removing the bagpipe. 

My mates bagpipes were blown up by the bomb squad after he left them in the centre of Bath one night while drunk. Some say it was the best sound they ever made.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

There's a band booked in to our local venue who play the music of Red Hot Chilli Peppers on bagpipes. 

Bagpipes cannot improve any music or event or situation. Any situation where a bagpipe is playing could be improved by removing the bagpipe. 

My mates bagpipes were blown up by the bomb squad after he left them in the centre of Bath one night while drunk. Some say it was the best sound they ever made.

I love the bagpipes. They stir your soul. Men have followed them into battle being given heart by their sound. New York policemen get buried to the sound of them. They can be soulful and sad or hearty and cheery. Opinions.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They be the Red Hot Chili Pipers.

• Like 2

Listening to any musical rendition done solo is one of the most boring ways of passing the time unless it's performed by Tommy Emmanuel, Leo Kottke or Adrian Legg and then it's more like a stand-up routine with music interludes. Solo bass gigs are the ultimate in snoozefests. The rule/law should be unless you've got funny/witty stage banter do not perform solo (music that is!).

Edited by Barking Spiders

10 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Listening to any musical rendition done solo is one of the most boring ways of passing the time unless it's performed by Tommy Emmanuel, Leo Kottke or Adrian Legg and then it's more like a stand-up routine with music interludes. Solo bass gigs are the ultimate in snoozefests. The rule/law should be unless you've got funny/witty stage banter do not perform solo (music that is!).

Bill Bailey does this well.

• Like 1