Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

On 02/06/2022 at 10:46, Newfoundfreedom said:

I can't concentrate when I hear jazz. It makes my brain itch. Can't stand it. 

I hope jazz fades beyond obscurity into total non existence especially jazz fusion, by far the most tedious subgenre, even worse than prog and metal.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ubit said:

Skid Row were and still are a great rock band.

I think you may have missed the joke, but yes indeed. Still one of my favourite bands of all time. Their first album still ranks as one of the greatest debut albums ever released for me, almost (but not quite) up there with Appetite For Destruction. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

One of the greatest vocalists of all time for me. I mean, the bloke was an absolute not job, but a superb vocal range. 

phi's voice is like nails on a blackboard, so whiney. I have seen them twice as friends like them, obviously he/they are way worse in real life but even on the record without him they could have sounded great

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

phi's voice is like nails on a blackboard, so whiney. I have seen them twice as friends like them, obviously he/they are way worse in real life but even on the record without him they could have sounded great

+ 1, especially on Sweet Child of Mine, an otherwise decent song that could've been much better with someone like Mike Patton on vocals. The vocals on Paradise City are better. As an album, though all I hear are three good tracks - the singles - but the rest is not up to the same standard . Still, that's more than can be said for their contemporaries

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

which would have been a reasonable album if only they got a decent singer

That's reminded me of another one. Guns n Roses would have been a good band were it not for that screeching imp of a vocalist. A vomiting pensioner would have been better.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

+ 1, especially on Sweet Child of Mine, an otherwise decent song that could've been much better with someone like Mike Patton on vocals.

For me the worst offender is the intro to the album, welcome to the jungle, it really builds up like it is going to be a flat out rock tune, then it takes a pause, and then what sounds like a character from the simpsons starts singing, and brings the energy of the track right down.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

For me the worst offender is the intro to the album, welcome to the jungle, it really builds up like it is going to be a flat out rock tune, then it takes a pause, and then what sounds like a character from the simpsons starts singing, and brings the energy of the track right down.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I guess we could say the same about PiL, The Cure, The Pogues etc Alfie Boe has a lovely singing voice yet if he fronted any of the aforementioned bands they would have been cr@p. 

20 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I guess we could say the same about PiL, The Cure, The Pogues etc Alfie Boe has a lovely singing voice yet if he fronted any of the aforementioned bands they would have been cr@p. 

If those people had fronted Guns and Roses, yes, that would have been bad. But they were fine in their own bands. I mean, I am not a fan of the pogues or PiL, but all of those they matched the singer with the band. Guns and roses didn't.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If those people had fronted Guns and Roses, yes, that would have been bad. But they were fine in their own bands. I mean, I am not a fan of the pogues or PiL, but all of those they matched the singer with the band. Guns and roses didn't.

I don’t see bands this way. The creative input and personality of the members lead to what music they produce. Without Axl Rose,  Guns &Roses wouldn’t be the same band. Maybe they would have been a better band with better songs or maybe they would have gone nowhere. But they wouldn’t have been Guns & Roses.

5 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Thinking of the old old days, I saw Genesis many times with Peter Gabriel 0he was singing, not with me) and the way he wove tales in between songs was magical. Solo he came across as a pretentious and talent less. 

Sort of the other way round for me. The PG era personifies what I can't hack about prog. PG's 'car', So and Us are pretty good and the other albums have their moments. While not a fan, I find a bit more to like about post-PG Genesis from side 2 of Wind and Wuthering onwards.

54 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Sort of the other way round for me. The PG era personifies what I can't hack about prog. PG's 'car', So and Us are pretty good and the other albums have their moments. While not a fan, I find a bit more to like about post-PG Genesis from side 2 of Wind and Wuthering onwards.

Its possible I would have felt the same but I saw them live many times before buying the albums so it was the live performances that sold the band. They were probably just as pretentious as PG solo but by that time I was listening to music without Mary Jane's help.

6 hours ago, tegs07 said:

I don’t see bands this way. The creative input and personality of the members lead to what music they produce. Without Axl Rose,  Guns &Roses wouldn’t be the same band. Maybe they would have been a better band with better songs or maybe they would have gone nowhere. But they wouldn’t have been Guns & Roses.

They would have been guns and roses with someone else, as you would have never known them any different. Maybe they would be better, I doubt they would be worse and maybe they would have got nowhere, but they would have been guns and roses.

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Sort of the other way round for me. The PG era personifies what I can't hack about prog. PG's 'car', So and Us are pretty good and the other albums have their moments. 

Same here, best thing for me that ever happened to genesis was PG leaving, I think they were both better afterwards.

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They would have been guns and roses with someone else, as you would have never known them any different. Maybe they would be better, I doubt they would be worse and maybe they would have got nowhere, but they would have been guns and roses.

Same here, best thing for me that ever happened to genesis was PG leaving, I think they were both better afterwards.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Slash’s Snakepit being a good example. G&R members for the most part but didn’t have the same impact. it’s not about the name but the body of work produced by the artists involved at a certain period of their lives. Great vocalist or not Axl Rose brought a dynamic that worked perfectly for that band in that era. 

Edit: In the same way during MacGowans heavy alcoholic days I saw Jem Finer taking vocals (he sings better) but it wasn’t the Pogues. It was an average pub band.

Edited by tegs07

16 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Slash’s Snakepit being a good example. G&R members for the most part but didn’t have the same impact. it’s not about the name but the body of work produced by the artists involved at a certain period of their lives. Great vocalist or not Axl Rose brought a dynamic that worked perfectly for that band in that era. 

Edit: In the same way during MacGowans heavy alcoholic days I saw Jem Finer taking vocals (he sings better) but it wasn’t the Pogues. It was an average pub band.

Same with Velvet Revolver. Basically GnR without Axl. Scott Weiland was utter dross and totally let down the band imo. 

• Like 1