Why become a member? ×

Unpopular Musical Opinions: What are Yours?

Mykesbass

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Yeah, sure -_- ...

:lol: :P

Cheers Dad.  I've not heard that for years.

I remember posting it, saying "I do like a bit of Manring".  To which the long since banned BigBassChief replied "Preferably shaved Phillipino".

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

'Enormous room'..... tiny audience....I paused on the audience shot to do a count. They look as if they're attending a physics lecture on particle polarisation., which would've been more my thing 😲

You should come to one of our gigs - the rhythm guitarist/vocalist is a professor of particle physics at Oxford. At one gig last year there was a slightly starstruck scientific type watching him play and said he couldn't believe he was in a pub garden in Oxfordshire listening to an FRS playing the Grateful Dead's songs. 

Of course, ignoramuses such as myself had to ask what FRS meant...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

+ 1 here. Some time ago I heard the Beeb wouldn't play any GB songs because of the connection. I've got a hits comp and they had many good singles so it's pity they've been tarnished

All royalties payments finished forever. Future prospects for joining new bands probably ruined as well due to guilt by association. 

I am assuming their innocence as I have never personally heard that they aren't 

• Like 1

Just now, Nail Soup said:

Yes, amazing that some people don't know what that means............ 😐

Fellow of the Royal Society, apparently. My band mate told me so I didn't actually need to ask. I think he's used to that!

I had thought it could mean 'Fairly Reasonable Singer'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm very much not a fan of the Verve, or any britpop really. 

I'll be honest, I thought he produced a load of boy bands but it seems I may have been mistaken. 

He did produce Dido, Bananarama and James though who are all pretty terrible. 

I looked it up, and as far as the Wikipedia article tells his record company did produce for "Take That", though it doesn't seem like he did so personally.

Also according to that Wikipedia article it turns out he is a member of an experimental electronic music duo called "The Fireman" along with Paul McCartney, never knew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_(musician)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

59 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Also according to that Wikipedia article it turns out he is a member of an experimental electronic music duo called "The Fireman" along with Paul McCartney, never knew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_(musician)

I went to Peter Gabriel's studio last December and was chatting to an old bloke who had worked there for years. He told me it's quite common for all these old legends to meet up and jam or get little projects going that never release anything. He told me about a jam session a few weeks earlier with Jimmy Page, Nick Mason and Geoff Barrow (the bassist from Portishead). I wish I could have heard that session. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I've in fact listened to it 4 times just in case something clicked but I'm still at a loss.

Try his latest release (Small Moments 2020): it’s pretty accessible by his standards. If you don’t click with it then fair enough!

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Talented? Sure. Would I listen to it again? Absolutely not. No hook, no meaning, and absolutely nothing that resonates with me at all. 

Here's a few 'hooks' for you...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Here's a few 'hooks' for you...

Nope. Sorry. Bass solos do nothing for me whatsoever. Although I can totally see why some people would like it. For me the bass is just a part of a story, and the lead voice in any story is the vocal. Controversially (and probably the most unpopular opinion on here so far) I have very little interest in the bass guitar as an instrument, except in the overall context of a band. I don't listen to music for the bass, and very rarely pick bass lines out as a discerning factor. It's all about how the band works as a whole. I have absolutely no time for showboating bassists, no matter how talented. For me the bass is a supporting instrument. It's the backbone of the band. As soon as it starts to take a lead role I lose interest pretty quickly. 

• Like 7

Indeed.... horses for courses.... Probably because at age of 12 school unexpectedly decided I should start to learn cello... it triggered a tendency in me to pick out and listen to the bass line. Later, when I started to sing bass in choirs, the same thing - I got used to listening for the bass line. Doing that helps a lot with understanding the harmonic structure of a piece. It also reveals how unutterably boring some people are with the bass doing little more than tonic/dominant oompah-ing...    

• Like 1

Nope. Sorry. Bass solos do nothing for me whatsoever. Although I can totally see why some people would like it. For me the bass is just a part of a story, and the lead voice in any story is the vocal. Controversially (and probably the most unpopular opinion on here so far) I have very little interest in the bass guitar as an instrument, except in the overall context of a band. I don't listen to music for the bass, and very rarely pick bass lines out as a discerning factor. It's all about how the band works as a whole. I have absolutely no time for showboating bassists, no matter how talented. For me the bass is a supporting instrument. It's the backbone of the band. As soon as it starts to take a lead role I lose interest pretty quickly. 

I generally agree though I like to hear the bass do more than just have a supporting role which is why I like funk, disco and 80s pop.To my ears there are very few solos on any instrument that serve the song which leads me to another unpopular opinion. Eddie van Halen was a technician not a musician. His band's music , like others of his ilk, is just a vehicle for vacuous plankspanking. The solo in Beat It is an abomination. What was Quincy Jones thinking, a rare misstep in a great career. 

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

+ 1 here. Some time ago I heard the Beeb wouldn't play any GB songs because of the connection. I've got a hits comp and they had many good singles so it's pity they've been tarnished

You're obviously listening to a different Glitterband to the one I remember, as IMO their songs weren't even good enough to be filler tracks on GG album. 

• Like 1

I would tend to agree, but then again the only bassists I actually like as musicians are Peter Hook and Mick Karn, and while they don't do "bass solos" in the accepted sense, what they play is very much front and centre in the arrangement/mix of their respective bands.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I would tend to agree, but then again the only bassists I actually like as musicians are Peter Hook and Mick Karn, and while they don't do "bass solos" in the accepted sense, what they play is very much front and centre in the arrangement/mix of their respective bands.

+1 viz these two. I prefer music that's layered with the different sounds meshing with eachother. What I avoid is music where there's a principal instrument, usually electric guitar, with the other instruments only serving as accompaniment. Ditchwater doesn't make it when we're measuring dullness.

• Like 1

So are you saying you don't like ANY instrumental songs?

To me, it's the song as a whole.  I don't care if the leading instrument is a vocal, a bass, lead guitar or a triangle, if the song sounds good to me, that's what counts.
I love the bass.  A great bassline can really make or break a song (though I think the same can be said for any instrument).

Here's an entire audience singing along with the bass & loving it...

• Like 2