Why become a member? ×

Ashamed to Admit

WAYNESWORLD

Before I start could I say the following is probably down to my inability to multitask. Something I have noticed over the years when listening to music and even reviewing some of my previous favourite bands is. I now appear to be picking not only the bass lines to hum  to but dissecting the whole composition and doing the same at the detriment of the lyrics. On reflection I realised that this is something I have always done and only really learnt backing harmony lyrics as required. Occasionally the main lyrics stick but for me become secondary.It’s like everything is musical but the lyrical content washes over me,even when I make an effort to listen to them . When I was very young and was learning to playI worked in a record shop and used to be able to help parents that we’re trying to buy records for there kids based on a single line of the lyric scribbled on a bit of paper but didn’t know what the record was called. That ability to put the vocal first diminished as I concentrated more on learning to play.Anyone else have this problem. Apologies to all the great lyricist’s out there.Please be gentle concerning my inadequacies.

I find it varies song to song. For some the lyrics are absolutely key but there are others where I still have no proper idea what they are after hearing a song hundreds of times but I just love the song so it doesn’t matter. And there are those where I thought I knew the lyrics then see them written down and clearly didn’t.

I think every musician has a tendency to focus on their chosen instrument. Isn't that normal?

FWIW When I hear an interesting track for the first time I find myself analysing it, trying to figure out why it's making my foot tap, why it's drawing me in and moving me.

My focus will flit from one instrument to another in an attempt to solve the riddle. Being a bass player it makes sense to give a little more of my attention to the bass elements of a given track. Some of this is done consciously, and some subconsciously. I usually find myself humming the bass line rather than the top line.

I have the same issue.

With most music that I really like, the lyrics are secondary. Usually, I think, because they're not particularly good. I wouldn't dismiss a song because the lyrics are rubbish. An example would be most Lenny Kravitz songs, where the lyrics are usually pretty banal but the tune can be really pretty good. I like many of his songs but couldn't tell what the hell he's singing about to save my life.

Then there are other songwriters, that are all about the lyrics. Examples would be, David Bowie, Dylan, Tom Waits etc and although I wouldn't be able to write down the lyrics, of even my favourite songs that they'd written, I'd probably be able to sing along to them as they were playing.

I have  always been like that.

I hear the sound of the lyrics, I hear the melody of the lyrics ,but I often don't know the actual words.

Trying to learn them on the odd occasion I have taken the lead vocal in a band, has always been the hardest thing for me.

• Like 1

Some lyrics are the whole point of the song and the sound is just there to give them something to play against. Sometimes the words are just there to go across the music. Some the music is very full and it is up to you what bit you really pay attention to.

I tend to do backing singing and some other singing, so I do listen to the words.

• Like 2

I usually ignore lyrics, am more into rhythm (hence playing Bass and being into Dub).

When I actually pay attention to lyrics I find they are usually fairly inane -  just a tool to put melody into words that rhyme rather than some sort of import artistic expression that a lot of singers will have people believe. 

Edited by SumOne

If I'm listening to music, then I do tend to pay equal attention to the words and the music, but if I'm playing then normally I'm just following the rhythm of the vocal (treating it as another instrument, I guess) and listening out for the occasional stand-out phrase which signifies something's about to happen / change. 

I am just the same - I've long come to accept that I don't know what some of my favourite songs are really about. You just need to know how to focus this skill and use it to your advantage rather than thinking of it as an inadequacy :)

To be honest, it was such a light bulb moment for me when I realised that deep down, before I could play bass, I would be a bassist - if anyone ever asked me to hum a song, it would always be the bass line first!

Edited by Dood
  • Like 2

I'm not quite the opposite as I still do the thing of mentally breaking down the instrumentation down into it's component parts, but lyrics really stick with me.

Generally if a song has any kind of rotation on the radio I'll pretty much know the lyrics off by heart before long, without making any conscious effort to do so.

Although as I listen mainly to mainstream pop on Radio 1 it's not like I'm memorising Shakespeare speeches.

Edited by Cato

45 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm the exact opposite to most of the commenters on here. For me, lyrics are what really sets a song apart. Anybody can write and play a foot tapper, but without good lyrics, any song is totally meaningless. 

Most perple must agree with you as most popular music has lyrics... But, to counter that, most tribal music is rhythm - which entertained humans for 1000s of years, and then classical, jazz, brass bands, dub, most electronic music, etc.  

I look at it as the equivalent of paintings that looks like what they are ( or sometimes slightly abstract, if lyrics are more poetic) vs instrumental being an abstract painting - conveying a mood rather than a specific story.

So I don't think music without good lyrics is meaningless, usually it seems more meaningful to me. 

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

There's a small boat made in China

Going nowhere on the mantle piece 

It's the same room but everything's dif'rent

You can blah the blah but not the ( rhymes with piece) 

ChOrUs!!!!!

Blah de blah de throwaway blah

De bla DeBlah de Blah...yada yada..

ChORuS!!!!

Funnily enough that's one of the few lines I do recognise ,and it's made OF China, not  IN China.

The rest is still Blah de blah de blah though!.

😉

:D

• Like 1

I'll go along with what some others have said..... some music is lyric-centric and some isn't.

I do like a lot of music where a lot of the enjoyment comes from the lyrics.  For example The Fall.... Mark E Smith is a great wordsmith.

Take the Sex Pistols for example.... it was the lyrics which raised them up  a level, even though they were already good musically.

However I am often guilty of lyric-blindness..... for example at a folk show (where you are supposed to listen to words more than anywhere else) I'll often find myself focusing on the musical layers rather than the lyrical narrative.

I think what I find amazing is that singers often miss out on what the lyrics mean. I love a clever lyric especially in a pop song. How can you tell a story or sing an emotion if you don't know what it is you are singing about. 

I love little moments like the Nina Simone version of Feeling good where she changes one word (from you to I) and turns a song from a musical into a civil rights anthem. 

Stars when you shine, you know how I feel

Scent of the pine, you know how I feel

Oh, freedom is mine, and I know how I feel