Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

37 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

For example, if no one ever kills anyone, then you do not need a rule or law saying that "you must not kill" in the first place.

That "rules exist because of breaking them" doesn't actually follow. For example I can build a machine, lets say a spacecraft or submarine, and have a rule that says "Do NOT do X then Y or you will cause an explosion and die horribly ". The rule exists to prevent the behaviour,  but was not instituted as a result of someone breaking the rule. It was instituted as a result of a third party understanding the consequences. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Richard R said:

That "rules exist because of breaking them" doesn't actually follow. For example I can build a machine, lets say a spacecraft or submarine, and have a rule that says "Do NOT do X then Y or you will cause an explosion and die horribly ". The rule exists to prevent the behaviour,  but was not instituted as a result of someone breaking the rule. It was instituted as a result of a third party understanding the consequences. 

I don't know. Maybe your example is the so-called exception that proves the rule, or your rule is a different type of rule, or I only reminder bits from my uni class. Man, it's 25 years ago, so I probably don't remember everything, don't even remember what I had for lunch today 😉 So, as the great philosopher H P Baxter once said, the question is what is the question?

6 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I don't know. Maybe your example is the so-called exception that proves the rule, or your rule is a different type of rule, or I only reminder bits from my uni class. Man, it's 25 years ago, so I probably don't remember everything, don't even remember what I had for lunch today 😉 So, as the great philosopher H P Baxter once said, the question is what is the question?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Richard R said:

22 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Surely they both follow the old action and reaction thing though. 

People kill so a rule was made that you shouldn't kill. 

X then Y causes an explosion so a rule is made that you shouldn't do X then Y.

If X then Y didn't cause an explosion and people didn't kill then there'd be no need for either rule. 

In much the same way that if basses weren't so damn perdy I wouldn't keep buying the bloody things. 

😉👍

• Like 1

RIFF Megastore in Warsaw successfully navigated without gear acquisition.  Instead went there with my wife and a mate (both of whom can play piano) and had a jolly good sing song in the digital piano department.  Was complimented for my falsetto in Queen's "Somebody to Love".

Did buy a spare set of D'addario XL 45-105 (consumables don't count, right?) - at £20 instead of the usual £25-30 back home it seemed rude not to :)

Well, I'm well and truly out. My other half was faced with a rather large bill for her car today and was looking at selling one of her guitars for well below its market value because she needed the cash. So I bought it instead. It's a black Gibson Les Paul Studio and it's hardly been out of its gig bag since new.

I guess I'll need to learn how to play it now...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

I guess I'll need to learn how to play it now...

And waste the best “birthday present” she’s ever had? 
You should have been quicker and told her you had a buyer at work then wrapped it up and watched her face as you presented it back to her with the “I know how much you hated selling it”

Or you could have just paid for her car 🤣😂

3 minutes ago, Bunion said:

And waste the best “birthday present” she’s ever had? 
You should have been quicker and told her you had a buyer at work then wrapped it up and watched her face as you presented it back to her with the “I know how much you hated selling it”

Or you could have just paid for her car 🤣😂

I work from home, so that wouldn't have been an option. It did cross my mind.

And I did offer to pay for the car, but she refused point blank. Buying the Les Paul was a compromise, as she can still play it whenever she wants to and crucially, she still has her PRS, which is the one she was looking at selling.

On 01/02/2022 at 16:42, bassfan said:

Are you running your bass through it on your board?

new mixing desk is ok. 

Boss LS2 was clearly deemed controversial even when being used as a mixer at the end of the signal chain, rather than in its more trad use as a line selector.

Decided to get a 4 channel Behringer MX400 instead - so I'm still in the game!

The fact that it's 4 channel rather than 2 and very likely less noisy certainly helped in choosing. 

A new MX400 being 1/3 of the price of a used LS2 obviously didn't play any part in my no-brainer decision 😁

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

At least I’m out with good reason.

I know that often you enjoy buying unfussed by the knowledge that the bass will be on its way sooner rather than later. Is this one of those instances, or do you have aspirations of longevity for it?

PS :D at the five-tuner headstock sitting in front of Jaco "only needing four"

Edited by Ricky Rioli
Sodding autocorrect >:(
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I know that often you enjoy buying unfussed by the knowledge that the bass will be on its way sooner rather than later. Is this one of those instances, or do you have aspirations of longevity for it?

PS :D at the five-tuner headstock sitting in front of Jaco "only needing four"

We’ll see - I want a 5 and I wanted a ray 5 for quite some time.

Im going to live with it for a bit, songwriting sessions coming up, but also looking at other projects so might take only the 5.

• Like 1