Why become a member? ×

2022 Gear abstinence thread

bassfan

10 hours ago, Mudpup said:

Dammit, I'm out. I was super confident this year that i would make it to the finish line as well 😡

I sold my Handbox a few weeks ago and there was a little envelope of cash sitting in the toy fund. I put it in the draw to try and forget about it and was doing well until @40hz listed probably the only amp that had a chance of knocking me off the wagon. He's a great guy that I had dealt with before and the amp was at a great price. My resolve failed miserably and within 24 hrs I had grabbed it and gigged it. It's bloody brilliant..... 

See you all in 2023!

You lasted a lot longer than I thought you would to be fair 😁

10 hours ago, Jonesy said:

You lasted a lot longer than I thought you would to be fair 😁

I was so confident! However the pleasure of the new toy far outweighs the shame and ridicule that I shall now suffer....

• Haha 1

So, another month begins. Another scheme to make do and mend instead of buying stuff. I don't care much for dome top knobs, I think they look a bit cheap. Had some spare flat tops in the shed. Even though they're meant for solid shaft pots they gripped the split shafts on my Tribute LB-100 fine and I think they look a lot better. I located the grub screws so they act as a visual cue at 100%.

IMG_20220401_201247_copy_1000x562.jpg.b17d5efc4bb08d86a161f2978a6e712c.jpg

I think that looks much better. Subtle change for sure but the crucial thing is that I didn't buy anything to effect this change ;)

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, neepheid said:

So, another month begins. Another scheme to make do and mend instead of buying stuff. I don't care much for dome top knobs, I think they look a bit cheap. Had some spare flat tops in the shed. Even though they're meant for solid shaft pots they gripped the split shafts on my Tribute LB-100 fine and I think they look a lot better. I located the grub screws so they act as a visual cue at 100%.

IMG_20220401_201247_copy_1000x562.jpg.b17d5efc4bb08d86a161f2978a6e712c.jpg

I think that looks much better. Subtle change for sure but the crucial thing is that I didn't buy anything to effect this change ;)

Pretty colour G&L :)

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 13:13, Quatschmacher said:

I lasted a fair while but scored a used Supa Funk so am out. 

Where’d you score that! You must know people… 😃

any good?

Edited by bassfan

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

Where’d you score that! You must know people… 😃

any good?

On eBay. Won’t get it until Monday. It was originally on at a fairly high price which wasn’t much of a saving on the £166 I’ve seen new ones for. Thankfully it got relisted at a more realistic opening bid and no one else bid. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

On eBay. Won’t get it until Monday. It was originally on at a fairly high price which wasn’t much of a saving on the £166 I’ve seen new ones for. Thankfully it got relisted at a more realistic opening bid and no one else bid. 

Excellent. Let us know what you think. Drop me a line if it doesn’t work out 😃

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gapiro said:

Someone tell me I don’t need a new bass 😂😂😂(drools at dingwalls)

You don't need a new bass.  A multiscale Dingwall would require special strings, and you can't therefore swap out strings from your other bass. You may find that you need a different case to what you currently have.  The technique of playing a multiscale Dingwall may not easily transfer to a standard instrument.  If you play fretless,  then there does not appear to be a fretless Dingwall.

All the same arguments that I formulated, when I had the same desire for a Dingwall.

"Step away from the Search Engine, sir. Put down your mouse, and back away from the open tabs."

29 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

You don't need a new bass.  A multiscale Dingwall would require special strings, and you can't therefore swap out strings from your other bass. You may find that you need a different case to what you currently have.  The technique of playing a multiscale Dingwall may not easily transfer to a standard instrument.  If you play fretless,  then there does not appear to be a fretless Dingwall.

All the same arguments that I formulated, when I had the same desire for a Dingwall.

"Step away from the Search Engine, sir. Put down your mouse, and back away from the open tabs."

BUT THE INTEREST FREE CREDIT AT ANDERTONS IS TOO TEMPTING 

(In seriousness, I am just looking for a new 'the one' bass to do everything and would like to get myself something quality. Having had my two current basses since 2011/12 and just feeling like something needs a shakeup

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm still in.  No bass gear purchased so far in 2022.  Of course that doesn't stop me purchasing other gear ;) I treated myself to a watch.  Somehow I won unopposed the auction on eBay for this guy:

image.png.23277dc982418a73ebe623373d49b88f.png

Maybe the seller was far too honest with the photographs - the crystal looks pretty scratched up in this pic and I thought I'd have to do some polishing but it looks way better in person.  This is the titanium version so even though it's a much larger watch than the one I have been wearing, it's 6g lighter than that one.  Was quite chuffed to see stainless steel versions of this watch selling on different auctions for more... Pretty pleased with it - solar powered, atomic timekeeping and there's something about the numbers on the face, the font used or something on the very dark blue background that I find very pleasing to the eye.

Did have some fettling time with it - I had to remove 4 links from the bracelet because of my dainty wrists... cue Blackadder S02E03 "Potato" and the scene where Blackadder wishes to hire Captain Rum's ship - "you have a woman's wrist, my lord!"

Anyway, I'm still in, just thought I'd share some alternative retail therapy I indulged in this week :D

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3

It looks like I am out.

I purchased a battery status checker, from zvirus.  It is designed to fit into the bass, and illuminate an LED when the battery voltage drops below a predetermined level (7.5v for mine).

I also need to pay my luthier to fit the item  - holes drilled, switches and LEDs installed. 

I was getting fed up with buying batteries every month, on the off-chance that they were about to expire. 

On the plus side, I can finally use up the six old batteries that I have in my kit case....

Thanks, all. The Gear Abstinence thread has been a great discipline!

2 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

It looks like I am out.

I purchased a battery status checker, from zvirus.  It is designed to fit into the bass, and illuminate an LED when the battery voltage drops below a predetermined level (7.5v for mine).

I also need to pay my luthier to fit the item  - holes drilled, switches and LEDs installed. 

I was getting fed up with buying batteries every month, on the off-chance that they were about to expire. 

On the plus side, I can finally use up the six old batteries that I have in my kit case....

Buying batteries every month? How often are you playing? Are you leaving the bass plugged in when you're not playing?

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Buying batteries every month? How often are you playing? Are you leaving the bass plugged in when you're not playing?

It's fear, not necessity, that compels me to buy them. 

I had one run down while I was warming up, after less than a year's usage.  From then on, I changed them every month. That's now changed to every quarter year.

I play weekly (and, indeed, weakly...). I also play a few times in the week for perhaps an hour.  The bass is always unplugged when not in use.

I know that the batteries still have life in them. However  I don't know how much life they have, and it is easier to buy a battery from Poundland, and replace it.

The battery tester therefore felt like a better solution. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

It looks like I am out.

Giving them a lick is much cheaper and much easier, and you'd still be in!

I'm unexpectedly out. Very late on Wednesday after a couple of beers I read a review of the TC Aeon string exciter and though "£30 for an Ebow-a-like? That could be interesting."

Like the Ebow, it's designed for guitars, not basses with heavy strings, and the Ebos thread on this forum isn't entirely favourable about either, but I have a specific use case in mind so we'll give it a whirl. Only just arrived in the post, so time to play tomorrow 🙂

6 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

I purchased a battery status checker, from zvirus.  It is designed to fit into the bass

Bad luck to go out on something that will make no difference whatsoever to the sound. Arguably, however,  the battery status checker is not in the signal path, so you could stay in on a technicality.

What say the thread?

1 minute ago, Richard R said:

Bad luck to go out on something that will make no difference whatsoever to the sound. Arguably, however,  the battery status checker is not in the signal path, so you could stay in on a technicality.

What say the thread?

Could I just point out that a flat battery makes a huge difference to my sound.  It's a lot easier to listen to, for a start!

It did feel like a small thing to fail over, at less than the cost of a pack of bass strings.  And it is not in the signal chain (or, arguably, is fundamental to the signal chain).

Had I purchased an outboard battery checker, I would not even have mentioned it. 

However, a thing in the bass, and a light and a switch outside of it, feels like a bass purchase. 

Let's see what the basschat legal team say. 

On 23/04/2022 at 11:31, bass_dinger said:

It looks like I am out.

On 23/04/2022 at 17:39, Richard R said:

What say the thread?

Agreed. 

@bass_dinger you're going to have to try a lot harder than that to get out. You're certainly not licked yet 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Silvia Bluejay changed the title to Gear abstinence thread
  • bassfan changed the title to 2022 Gear abstinence thread