Why become a member? ×

It’s Staring Fender in The Face!

thebrig

The G&L SB1 is worth checking out Comes with a 1 5/8" neck. . Not a "Fender" in the traditional sense, but nonetheless Leo is quoted as saying that G&L are among the best basses he ever made.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200225356367008--gl-usa-fullerton-deluxe-sb-1-surf-green-maple-fingerboard?defaultCountry=IE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI18D6_qb39AIVyZ7tCh3TzgBTEAQYBCABEgJ-gPD_BwE

I bought my first full fat P bass about 30 year into playing. I knew very quickly that the wide nut was not for me. I had just never experienced it so had no idea. The irony is that the other P I already had is a 73 body and neck with various bits screwed onto it. It turns out that the 73 neck is an A width neck so even though I was doing the authentic P thing, I had no idea that the "proper" nut width was not my flavour.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

P Deluxes cost about that new if you get a Spanish speaking one and tonally give you exactly what you are looking for, plus a whole lot of other tones you didn't ask for but they are free. Market served.

I may be missing something but I thought these were PJ’s. I like them, others might not and would just want a P with a Jazz neck. What you keep saying is a BLT sandwich is a bacon butty because it contains bacon.

Edit: For anyone looking that just wants a Fender P with a Jazz neck try a Nate P. Not exact but pretty damn close.

Edited by tegs07

For 25 years I was playing a Fender Precision with an A neck. I had no idea it wasn't a "proper" Precision neck until the Internet came along!

For the last 25 years I've been playing 5 string basses, all apparently just under 2" wide. I've never bothered to measure a bass neck until threads like this started up.

We're all different, but looking back, going from very thin necks to extra wide necks has not been an issue for me.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I may be missing something but I thought these were PJ’s. I like them, others might not and would just want a P with a Jazz neck. What you keep saying is a BLT sandwich is a bacon butty because it contains bacon.

Edit: For anyone looking that just wants a Fender P with a Jazz neck try a Nate P. Not exact but pretty damn close.

If you can get one of the passive Deluxe Precisions you can turn off the Jazz pickup and you've got a straight up P Bass with a Jazz neck. 

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

going from very thin necks to extra wide necks has not been an issue for me.

I’m the same, when I went from 4’s to 5’s it didn’t really bother me , I’m back to 4’s now , but if a neck is deep from front to back or chunky, I find them uncomfortable 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the response so far, and just to be clear, I have tried PJ's and just do not like the J pickup being in the way, and the extra (unused in my case) knob being where the jack would normally be, might sound a bit picky, but just not for me.

I've owned a couple of P's with the standard P neck and tried to adapt to it, but because of my arthritic hands and a recent accident where I severed two tendons in my fretting hand, I find the extra width too painful.

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, thebrig said:

Thanks for all the response so far, and just to be clear, I have tried PJ's and just do not like the J pickup being in the way, and the extra (unused in my case) knob being where the jack would normally be, might sound a bit picky, but just not for me.

I've owned a couple of P's with the standard P neck and tried to adapt to it, but because of my arthritic hands and a recent accident where I severed two tendons in my fretting hand, I find the extra width too painful.

I know I already said Sandberg - but they also do an option of a 32.5 medium scale on all their basses. So if you try a regular Sandberg (the next shapes are the same on P and J types) and you like it, you could make the stretches a little easier again by going for the medium scale.

The additional cost for the medium scale is the same as the extra for a 35 scale.

The medium scale isn't shown on their online configurator but if you add the 35 scale and whatever else you want it will give you a good idea of the money. If you order, just remember to NOT use the code that the configurator generates!

14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I know I already said Sandberg - but they also do an option of a 32.5 medium scale on all their basses. So if you try a regular Sandberg (the next shapes are the same on P and J types) and you like it, you could make the stretches a little easier again by going for the medium scale.

The additional cost for the medium scale is the same as the extra for a 35 scale.

The medium scale isn't shown on their online configurator but if you add the 35 scale and whatever else you want it will give you a good idea of the money. If you order, just remember to NOT use the code that the configurator generates!

Thanks, I will check them out.

5 hours ago, Doddy said:

If you can get one of the passive Deluxe Precisions you can turn off the Jazz pickup and you've got a straight up P Bass with a Jazz neck. 

Some people just don't want to know it seems.

A P Deluxe has an 18v preamp that you can switch out for passive mode. Either mode lets you go 100% P pickup. The body is a little on the slim side.

5 hours ago, thebrig said:

I totally get where you are coming from and having played P’s for years before getting RSI know why you started the thread as I was searching for the same solution a while back. 
Edit: And yes I have a PJ with a jazz neck. The P pickup is in a slightly different position. It has its strengths and benefits but I am with you it’s not for me. It’s great but the Nate I settled on is always the bass I pick up.

Edited by tegs07

13 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

A P Deluxe has an 18v preamp that you can switch out for passive mode. Either mode lets you go 100% P pickup. The body is a little on the slim side.

Fender also made a fully passive version of the Precision Deluxe.

19 hours ago, chris_b said:

For 25 years I was playing a Fender Precision with an A neck. I had no idea it wasn't a "proper" Precision neck until the Internet came along!

For the last 25 years I've been playing 5 string basses, all apparently just under 2" wide. I've never bothered to measure a bass neck until threads like this started up.

We're all different, but looking back, going from very thin necks to extra wide necks has not been an issue for me.

Me too Chris. My regular gigging bass is a Fender Precision Lyte, a PJ small bodied thing with a very slim neck and weighing less than 7lbs. Great for long gigs and easy on my old hands.

Last Saturday I took my 63 P-bass to a gig and played it all night with no problems. The neck isn’t massively chunky but the change in profile didn’t bother me at all, and made me realise what a great instrument it is.

(Of course this doesn’t help the OP with his needs I’m afraid, just sayin....)

• Like 2