Why become a member? ×

Songs you always wanted to play but never did...

uk_lefty

Have a few songs that in your head are the ones you've always wanted to play, what your teenage beginner self thought he or she would be doing... But you've never had chance? Either the band will not do it or it won't fit with the general vibe... Drop in a YouTube link! Here's mine:

• Like 2

I was really lucky with my punk/new-wave covers band as they generally were up for loads of stuff I wanted to do.

Often it wasn't even me who suggested it - one of the others would say how about X and I'd be thinking wow I've always wanted to do that!  I'd play it cool of course... yeah, I suppose we could squeeze that into the set 😉!

But we ceased trading after lockdown, so I'll take this spin on the question... here are three songs I had a big ambition to do, we had gotten gig-ready, but never played to an audience:

• Another Girl, Another Planet - The Only Ones
  • Goo-Goo Muck - The Cramps
  • Spanish Stroll - Mink DeVille

Had a blast doing them in rehearsal though!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Another Girl, Another Planet is the finest pop song ever committed to vinyl. 

• Like 1

In my last band myself and the vocalist (40+) were always trying to get the other two (drummer 50+, guitarist 20+) to play songs that were not necessarily ones we were desperate to do but tunes that everybody knows but hardly anyone does, things like' Bonkers' by Dizzee Rascal or some dance banger that we thought would get the room jumping, something a bit more modern. You could easily come up with an arrangement for this sort of stuff as we had done in a previous band with' Breathe' by The Prodigy which always went down well. But, no, let's just do another AC/DC track instead. Very frustrating. We even ended up doing 'Johnny B Goode', fer chrissake.

On a personal level, It is with deep regret that I've never had the chance to perform one of the greatest noises ever committed to vinyl, 'Bikini Girls With Machine Guns' by The Cramps. However, I have played 'Another Girl, Another Planet' many times so it's swings and roundabouts, I guess.

• Like 2

can't think of any that I'd want  to do that haven't, there's a few I love playing but we don't anymore because, inexplicable,  they didn't go down very well, the Lemonheads version of Mrs Robinson springs to mind, real fun bass line.

Another Girl Another Planet, never went down that well, just because we enjoy playing them doesn't mean the crowd will enjoy them

• Like 1

I was in a prog rock covers band that sadly never got past rehearsals. There were some excellent songs that I would have loved to do. And we did the best cover version of "I know what I like in your wardrobe" that I've heard. Favourites among them:

• Back street luv - Curved Air
  • Don't fear the reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
  • In a broken dream - Python Lee Jackson
  • Nights in white satin - Moody Blues ("our song" for Mrs Zero and me)
  • Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
  • Sylvia - Focus
  • Tomorrow night - Atomic Rooster
  • Silent Running - Mike & the Mechanics (bassline only slightly more complex than Waterfront but a great song)

• Like 1

I have done Dont fear the reaper, Solsbury hill and <shudder>sylvia (which I hated every time).

I have also done another girl, another planet, which I am not bothered about either way.

If there is something i would want to do that wasn't prog I could probably do it in my current group.

I actually got the band to try these, just once in each case, and they dropped them after each one, sent the audience crazy. Considering we were a party covers band known for whipping up a frenzy, I couldn't believe how shortsighted the others in the band were. We played them well too. Very frustrating for me.

Never can say goodbye, Communards version.

99 Red balloons, Goldfinger version

Streets with no name

I'm outa love,  Anastasia

Waterfront, Simple minds

Word up,  Gun version

"Rats", with luvverly bass work by John Dalton.
This was the B-side to "Apeman". 

Back then I bought every Kinks single  -  before understanding I needed the albums.
However, no Kinks song has had the same impact on me as "Rats".
It's a Dave Davies song, so maybe I like Dave better than Ray, Idunno.

Edited by BassTractor

• 1 month later...
On 06/11/2021 at 22:10, Nail Soup said:

I was really lucky with my punk/new-wave covers band as they generally were up for loads of stuff I wanted to do.

Often it wasn't even me who suggested it - one of the others would say how about X and I'd be thinking wow I've always wanted to do that!  I'd play it cool of course... yeah, I suppose we could squeeze that into the set 😉!

But we ceased trading after lockdown, so I'll take this spin on the question... here are three songs I had a big ambition to do, we had gotten gig-ready, but never played to an audience:

Had a blast doing them in rehearsal though!

Spanish stroll classic that one.

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2021 at 13:59, tauzero said:

I was in a prog rock covers band that sadly never got past rehearsals. There were some excellent songs that I would have loved to do. And we did the best cover version of "I know what I like in your wardrobe" that I've heard. Favourites among them:

• Back street luv - Curved Air
  • Don't fear the reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
  • In a broken dream - Python Lee Jackson
  • Nights in white satin - Moody Blues ("our song" for Mrs Zero and me)
  • Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
  • Sylvia - Focus
  • Tomorrow night - Atomic Rooster
  • Silent Running - Mike & the Mechanics (bassline only slightly more complex than Waterfront but a great song)

We still do Thunder's cover of In a broken dream, its an awesome song!!  

Great to see someone wanting to cover Curved Air, there are a few CA tracks I'd love to do, but I can't see me getting em past the rest of the band lol

• Like 2