Jump to content

Andy Fraser


Recommended Posts

I rarely post nowadays. I was inspired to say how much I'm surprised at the bass tone on old Free songs. I'm well old enough to know Free intimately but I have been re-engaging to some of their stuff courtesy of streaming (Tidal through Sonos speakers). I didn't have a bassists head the first time I heard Free. His tone is awesome. Nice playing too, nothing frivolous but driving the songs along well up in the mix.

Interesting guy too was Andy. Great songwriter. 

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

I rarely post nowadays. I was inspired to say how much I'm surprised at the bass tone on old Free songs. I'm well old enough to know Free intimately but I have been re-engaging to some of their stuff courtesy of streaming (Tidal through Sonos speakers). I didn't have a bassists head the first time I heard Free. His tone is awesome. Nice playing too, nothing frivolous but driving the songs along well up in the mix.

Interesting guy too was Andy. Great songwriter. 

Love his playing, what FL should sound like

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I asked our guitarist what band he would tribute if he could choose any act and he said Free without taking a breath.

Big shoes to fill, but I’d definitely have a go given the chance.

A blues band I was did a spate of one set of Free covers, then a set of American based bands. Finding the groove for AF's playing was so much fun, I'd certainly do it again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love that solo - it's probably the only bass solo that I actually perservered with bothering to learn.

Andy Fraser is a legend and one of my three big influences when I started playing bass. He was only 17 or 18 when he recodred 'all right now', which is frankly bonkers. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love Free. 

I started loving Free because of the bass, so much so that I bought a 1974 Gibson EB3 when I was 15 (it wasn't much money then).

In the last few years I have been playing a lot of guitar and have really gained an appreciation for Paul Kossoff. I even ended up selling my current guitar and bought a Les Paul, though I generally use it to play downtuned rock and doom music rather than classic blues rock.  

I would highly recommend the  Songs of Yesterday boxset. Some of the 'alternate' takes are better than the official 'released' versions. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the vidoe - not sure if I'd ever watched it all the way through before.

F**ing typical - we have to watch 4 minutes of Paul Kossof gurning his way through a solo but as soon as the bass solo comes along, it's off on a frickin' helicopter ride because, y'know, there's nothing interesting happening on stage. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He is one of my bass heroes, fantastic player, lots of space.

I played in a Free tribute band for a few years, one of the highlights of my bass playing career.

I purchased an EB3 especially for this band, pretty much hated playing the thing, neck dive and awful to play compared to my MM Stingray.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My number one bass hero. I love the tone and the bass lines. Me and the guitarist in our current band are real fans of Free… a previous incarnation of the band were called “Freezone”… so you can guess what we mostly played… even did “Mr Big” (Gawd ‘elp me)… spent some hours practising that…

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

Just watched the vidoe - not sure if I'd ever watched it all the way through before.

F**ing typical - we have to watch 4 minutes of Paul Kossof gurning his way through a solo but as soon as the bass solo comes along, it's off on a frickin' helicopter ride because, y'know, there's nothing interesting happening on stage. 

To be fair (and you weren’t unfair!) there’s a story behind all that of film running out... They put these clips together decades later so used crowd shots as a place holder.

I had an EB-3 L for the longest time. But when I interviewed AF he was singularly uninterested in gear matters, and was toting a Toby.

PS: If anyone would like some Free Appreciation Society mags for the price of postage, message me! Great little fanzine, but I have read and enjoyed them  CLAIMED BY RUSHBO

 

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did an occasional gig in a Free tribute band. That was the first time I really listened to their songs. It was a great gig, with a great drummer and playing those "empty" bass lines was a lot of fun.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in a Free/Bad Company tribute band a few years back and my admiration for Andy Fraser shot through the roof when I had to work out his parts. His basslines are brilliant - often simple but always funky and with such great feel and tone.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing player, amazing songwriter....and what a monster tone.

Even though they had 'that' song, it's a bit of a shame, as the rest of their catalogue always gets a bit forgotten IMHO. All of their albums are brilliant, even 'Heartbreaker', the one without AF.

Such a shame someone of his talent never really got the breaks afterwards....I know he wrote the Robert Palmer track, but the stuff with Sharks, The AF Band.....never really connected. At least he's still a big name in the bass community, as he absolutely deserves to be forever. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in a Free/Bad Co tribute band a couple of years ago.  I'd always loved Free and Andy's playing so I really enjoyed learning his parts are closely as I could - the space he left and his phrasing was just wonderful.  I found his tone pretty much impossible to match though (I was using a P with flats).  I considered buying an EB3 but the guitarist was a real PITA so I left.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years back, I sold an amp to a guy from the Cumbernauld area who played in a Free tribute band called Tons of slobs. Always thought that was a cool twist on the album name.

I seem to remember he played a Stingray 5 fretless, not an EB in sight!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm struggling to find a reference online but according to either the engineer or producer on the sessions for All Right Now , Andy Fraser played the lead guitar on the actual recording of that track. Paul Kossoff was too strung out on heroin to put it to tape, so Andy Fraser did instead.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is from another thread but superb - All Right Now is a rip roaring version (last track) - there’s some hugely funky playing by Andy Fraser throughout with a fat bass sound (note the way he plucks the bass hard, right next to the bridge - as did Bernard Edwards, another of my favourites) - the whole band is absolutely cooking - as they were the three times I saw them live (supported by Mott the Hoople each time)! I can’t understand why I never wanted an EB3 in 1970 (probably because Larry Taylor and Alan Spenner played Precisions and Leo Lyons a Jazz - and of course no one knew who Jameson and Babbitt were apart from the Motown inner sanctum - similarly Messrs Cogbill and Jemmott with Atlantic etc)

 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, chriswareham said:

I'm struggling to find a reference online but according to either the engineer or producer on the sessions for All Right Now , Andy Fraser played the lead guitar on the actual recording of that track. Paul Kossoff was too strung out on heroin to put it to tape, so Andy Fraser did instead.

I have heard/read about that story regarding the last Free album made but not the Fire and Water era.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting than as well as his EB3, he used Marshall 100w valve amps and 4x12s to get his superb sound which as we all know, are no good for bass what so ever and certainly not loud enough to gig with.😀

I've used an emoji for the first time. how about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, drTStingray said:

This is from another thread but superb - All Right Now is a rip roaring version (last track) - there’s some hugely funky playing by Andy Fraser throughout with a fat bass sound (note the way he plucks the bass hard, right next to the bridge - as did Bernard Edwards, another of my favourites) - the whole band is absolutely cooking - as they were the three times I saw them live (supported by Mott the Hoople each time)! I can’t understand why I never wanted an EB3 in 1970 (probably because Larry Taylor and Alan Spenner played Precisions and Leo Lyons a Jazz - and of course no one knew who Jameson and Babbitt were apart from the Motown inner sanctum - similarly Messrs Cogbill and Jemmott with Atlantic etc)

 

Jeez Louise, what a voice … 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...