Why become a member? ×

Fender signature instruments

leschirons

Never really had a problem with the concept. There's always been guitar and bass heroes but today, I saw the ad for the Robbie Robertson signature Strat.

It's £12,000!! It's not as if he's actually a great guitarist or some sort of ground breaking virtuoso. A couple of great songs and the Last Waltz. That's it isn't it? Or have I missed something?

Fender must be desperate to simply get a name, any name on a headstock.

Wonder how many they'll sell.

Rant over, just going to get an hour's practice in on my Angela Merkel jazz 5😎

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1499194088' post='3329896']
I think the Flea and Geddy Lee basses are amazing instruments, regardless how you feel about the artists themselves.
[/quote]

I get that totally. They're both accomplished and worthy hero's to a lot of people and, the basses are financially within reach to the majority of players.

Even the Adam Clayton bass I get due to the popularity of the band but most players under 40 probably wouldn't know who Robbie Robertson is.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1499191729' post='3329878']
Never really had a problem with the concept. There's always been guitar and bass heroes but today, I saw the ad for the Robbie Robertson signature Strat.

It's £12,000!! It's not as if he's actually a great guitarist or some sort of ground breaking virtuoso. A couple of great songs and the Last Waltz. That's it isn't it? Or have I missed something?

Fender must be desperate to simply get a name, any name on a headstock.

[/quote]

You're not the target audience. There are 60ish-year-old stockbroker Band fans in New York who will queue up to buy these.

And... 'a couple of great songs'? Have to disagree with you there. He's one of the greats.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1499197439' post='3329924']
Never heard of him.
[/quote]

Same here. I don`t really go a bundle on sig instruments, that said I`ve had Fender Mike Dirnt, Duff McKagan & Dee Dee Ramone Sig basses - still got the Dee Dee. Probably bought them more for the reviews than for sounding like the artist though, whatever bass I have I set it with my sound, not anyone elses. The Dee Dee is a fantastic Precision though, it`s surplus to requirements so I`m offloading - buyer lined up already - but it really is a great bass, the neck is chunk-tastic.

I have the Nate Mendel P bass. Not because I am a fan of his. Its just a great bass which I like the look and the playability of.
But that is the limit of my foray into signature instruments.
I did like the look of the Sting bass until I saw that stupid 12th fret inlay.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1499197439' post='3329924']
Never heard of him.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1499206129' post='3330020']
Same here. I don`t really go a bundle on sig instruments, that said I`ve had Fender Mike Dirnt, Duff McKagan & Dee Dee Ramone Sig basses - still got the Dee Dee. Probably bought them more for the reviews than for sounding like the artist though, whatever bass I have I set it with my sound, not anyone elses. The Dee Dee is a fantastic Precision though, it`s surplus to requirements so I`m offloading - buyer lined up already - but it really is a great bass, the neck is chunk-tastic.
[/quote]

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Robertson"]https://en.wikipedia...obbie_Robertson[/url]

Played with and wrote many good songs for The Band

Edited by ead

I'm pretty sure Fender do a bit of market research before they release a new thing. The high end Fender stuff is retired baby boomer territory, if you're under 45 it will leave you completely baffled both in terms of cultural reference and in terms of cost.

The 'dentist' comment above is in the right ballpark, although I'd say it was closer to 'ex-dentist buying himself a retirement gift to congratulate himself for owning 17 rental properties'.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1499195593' post='3329914']
And... 'a couple of great songs'? Have to disagree with you there. He's one of the greats.
[/quote]

I love The Band, but I think even objectively speaking I would have a hard time justifying Robbie Robertson as a guitar great. Agree with OP.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1499194088' post='3329896']
I think the Flea and Geddy Lee basses are amazing instruments, regardless how you feel about the artists themselves.
[/quote]

I'm a marginal bass player. Any bass I play will only be marginal at best.

Amazing basses will only sound amazing if your playing skills are amazing.

Blue

Edited by blue

I find it strange that a musician buys a bog standard instrument, takes a few things off and then the original manufacturer puts a copy of it out at much more than the original version cost.

Im sure thats not always the case but it seem like it to me.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1499208137' post='3330047']
Played with and wrote many good songs for The Band
[/quote]

I have most of the Band albums and think RR is a good songwriter but a guitarist worthy of a signature instrument? I'm not sure about that.

There are even question marks on the song writing front. He is alleged to have stitched up the rest of the band when it came to the song writing credits of many of their songs.

I have a Fender catalogue from about 20 years ago and there are over 50 signature Strats listed.

It's marketing.

Do what all these "famous" guitarists did. Buy the standard model and make your own changes. Create your own signature instrument.