Why become a member? ×

Fender signature instruments

leschirons

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1499244764' post='3330189']...But then they don't make signature drum sets.
[/quote]

Not many, certainly, but some, just the same...

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Drums-and-Percussion/Pearl-Chad-Smith-Signature-Drum-Kit-Limited-Edition/A5F"]Chad Smith ...[/url]

[url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/tama-stewart-copeland-signature-drum-set"]Stewart Copeland ...[/url]

[url="http://www.soundattak.co.uk/drums/acoustic-drums/pdp-daru-jones-new-yorker-signature-drum-kit-gold-black-sparkle-detail"]Daru Jones ...[/url]

Païste used to market a very excellent set of cymbals (the 'Seven Sound Set'...), signature Joe Morello. When I'm rich, I'll indulge... :)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1499191729' post='3329878']
Never really had a problem with the concept. There's always been guitar and bass heroes but today, I saw the ad for the Robbie Robertson signature Strat.

It's £12,000!! It's not as if he's actually a great guitarist or some sort of ground breaking virtuoso. A couple of great songs and the Last Waltz. That's it isn't it? Or have I missed something?

Fender must be desperate to simply get a name, any name on a headstock.

Wonder how many they'll sell.

Rant over, just going to get an hour's practice in on my Angela Merkel jazz 5😎
[/quote]

Isn't the RR Strat dipped in molten bronze? Perhaps at that price it's molten gold?

It genuinely is an iconic guitar. The Last Waltz is one of the all time classic filmed concerts and this guitar does stand out in the film. Lots of people would buy it... hell, I'd have one if I had the disposable income... mind you I'd probably go for either the tribute Blackie or Brownie. Mind you if I already had those two and I was looking for another piece for my collection...

These things aren't necessarily built for musicians, although they will perform as superb guitars. People collect them for the same reason that people collect film prop replicas.

A genuine R2-D2 model from the Star Wars films recently sold for $2.76 million. You can buy a convincing replica for around £10k. This is much the same thing.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1499248889' post='3330227']
Fender recently did a Gary Moore strat, it was around £13000 and they were all pre sold so somebody must love these creations. Good on you if you have the cash.
[/quote]

Is the Gary Mooore one a slightly shorter scale length, hard tail, single cutaway, set neck with a Gibson logo?