Why become a member? ×

Pick a bass - any bass

hiram.k.hackenbacker

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1456185331' post='2986495']
Easy, two choices for me...

A Wal MkIII Custom series bass... Probably an olive ash top, maybe in trans blue... 4 or 5... Not fussy...

A 64 YOB Jazz Bass (or maybe a Hofner... Nah, deffo a Jazz)... For no other reason than that would be cool.

PS Happy Birthday!
[/quote]
Thank you Trevor. Good choices.

Happy Birthday pal, great to hear you had a good one :)

In answer to your question, I feel like I'm lucky enough to have owned some very special basses already but the one I'd really like, and would be special for me,is the chance to have another YOB 78 Music Man Sabre, in brown with maple neck.

Cheers for the GAS renewel... ;)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456184594' post='2986482']
Yes and that's something I've not done as yet.

I can see that Ped is watching this and he is well aware of the bass that would be at the top of my list. Again, sadly unavailable!
[/quote]

It's a weird one because it's natural to lust after expensive instruments with the (often correct) assumption that they'll be 'the one' but often you'll find that being expense doesn't guarantee it's suitability as an instrument. As an investment it's different, of course. As a result I've bought and sold all sorts until I found 'the one' which I didn't even consider in my original list.

Therefore, I'd prepare yourself for a period of buying and selling as you try as many basses as you can but be prepared to lose some money in the process. Even more so if you want to try some more unusual instruments.

You could go to somewhere like Bass Direct or Bass Gear to try a few bits and bobs but at the end of the day there's no substitute for living with a bass for a while to really bond with it.

Sorry for the boring answer. OK so simple answer is Vigier Passion series II with customised electronics and Roland GK system ;) but I'm just saying that if you asked me that 15 years ago I'd have said something completely different.

Personally I'd never have a custom build but I think customising a bass 'chassis' that you really like is the true path to bass nirvana.

Edit to add: It's important to explain this to the wife too, so that she isn't offended if you sell the bass and keep swapping it. She's opening a door for you, rather than offering an immediate solution.

As has already been cited a few times already for me it would be a Wal MK1.....

In fact my lovely wife said more or less the same thing to me. My Birthday was in January and now I've only got 21 months to wait for my fretted MK1 with birdseye maple facing.....if is something is worth having it worth waiting for.

Edited by Urban Bassman

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1456221107' post='2986670']
...My Birthday was in January and now I've only got 21 months to wait for my fretted MK1 with birdseye maple facing.....[b]if something is worth having it's worth waiting for.[/b]
[/quote]

It is a bloody long wait though isn't it... I ordered an MK3 fretless sixer in November and it's still well over a year away :blink:

I reckon you should go for something a bit oddball and off the wall - a bass you've always admired from afar but never bought due to the worry that it would never get played. I've been lucky enought to receive two basses as gifts - a Danelectro Longhorn from my wife and a Hofner Violin Bass from my parents - both of which I adore, partly beacuase they were gifts and mean something, but also because they are just wonderful, odd little basses. The Hofner in particular will probably never get played in public (I'm 6ft 4) but it never fails to put a smile on my face when I play it around the house. Thump, thump, thump.

It can be tempting to order that custom ACG/Shuker etc, only to find it's not really 'you'.

p.s. Happy birthday :)

Ooh, Fodera P bass!

I'd rather be gifted something of outstanding quality on a special occasion.

I understand the desire for vintage and/or rare, it's just not for me. if I asked my other half to buy me something that was clapped out and 50/60 years old and had half of its parts replaced she'd think I was an idiot.

Happy Birthday chap!

Well, i;d also go for the 'birth year bass' - I've just done the same for my 40th. I adore the bass to bits and it wasn't even an expensive one - '76 must have been a good year! Well, Bohemian Rhapsody was at number one as I entered the world. Thanks Queen for writing me such a brilliant song to arrive to :) ha!

Ok, anyway, back on topic - my other choice would be to choose a custom bass! Ok, so it might take some time to actually get it, but how about something special that just screams 'you'. Just a really great bass you won't want to part with. I like that idea.

As others have said, the difficulty with buying something you don't "know" as it were, like a custom built bass is that if you don't like it / find it doesn't suit your playing style / find you don't like the way it feels it's very hard to say so, and if it means you don't play it that's bound to get noticed.
When I bought my Hot Rod Precision my dad insisted on giving me the cash and calling it my next birthday present, which was nice, and I gig with it all the time but every time I think about buying a straight P Bass or something else (like Leftybassman's Wal which I would really love to try) I keep thinking how upset he'll be if I no longer play it. I worry that It would look like it wasn't good enough any more. Silly, I know, but that's how it makes me feel.
Choose wisely!

Edited by phil.c60