Why become a member? ×

Pick a bass - any bass

hiram.k.hackenbacker

So, it's my 50th birthday today and I've had a really lovely day. I've been properly pampered by Mrs.H. I've had a totally chilled out day, we walked the dogs, she made bacon butties for lunch, I vegged out this afternoon, did a bit of noodling on my Jazz, then went out for dinner at 7. Just returned and now with a glass of Verve Clicquot in hand and admiring a bootle of Jack Daniel Master Distiller Limited Edition Whiskey that my best mate bought me. I may have to crack that open fairly soon :-)

Regarding a gift, some time ago my wife asked me what I would like for my birthday and I struggled to suggest anything.

Apart from the most important things (kids/family) my interests are fairly limited to film, music and bass which brings it's own set of problems. She's not 100% keyed into what I might like in any of these categories without a bit of heavy steerage, if you follow my drift.

So, she suggested I just choose a bass - any bass. Despite a fair amount of thought and a heck of a lot of surfing, I've not found this process particularly easy. I do feel that whatever I choose must be a keeper right out of the gate, so I feel I need to be sure. I don't think she would be offended if ultimately I made the wrong choice, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

I'm not after any assistance in the idea department as I have about five or six basses that I'm looking at right now, but I just wondered, if you were given the choice of one new (to you) bass that there was a little bit of pressure on you as being a keeper, then what would it be?

Happy birthday Old Bean. I think that it would be difficult to narrow it down to one bass as the choice out there is massive. I would go for one that I have been lusting after for years and hope that I would bond with it. For me, it would be between a Rick and a Thunderbird. I've had a Rick but it was fretless so that doesn't count. I think the Thunderbird would win.

Good luck with your decision.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1456183918' post='2986470']
Yeah but in what finish?
[/quote]

Definitely 57 or after. Probably burst, gold anodized, maple. But I wouldn't discount the classic burst, tort, rosewood either. Or aged blonde, tort, rosewood. Hell, I'd be happy with ANY pre-CBS P! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456183786' post='2986468']
That's easy - a pre-CBS Fender P.
[/quote]
Good call. One of my options is a YOB '66 Jazz. I just haven't found the right one yet.
With hindsight a with a few glasses of champers, I should have bought Si's one when I had the chance, but it's sadly now sold.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1456184043' post='2986472']
Happy birthday Old Bean. I think that it would be difficult to narrow it down to one bass as the choice out there is massive. I would go for one that I have been lusting after for years and hope that I would bond with it. For me, it would be between a Rick and a Thunderbird. I've had a Rick but it was fretless so that doesn't count. I think the Thunderbird would win.

Good luck with your decision.
[/quote]
Thank you Sam. The choice out there is indeed massive. I'm very conscious that (especially since I joined Basschat) that there are SO many bass types out there that I have yet to try - and I'm 50 FFS!

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1456184397' post='2986476']
....But there is something about owning a "real" fender that appeals.
[/quote]
Yes and that's something I've not done as yet.

I can see that Ped is watching this and he is well aware of the bass that would be at the top of my list. Again, sadly unavailable!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456182894' post='2986463']...if you were given the choice of one new (to you) bass that there was a little bit of pressure on you as being a keeper, then what would it be?
[/quote]

That's a difficult one. I'm not really bothered about having a YoB bass and besides no-one was making basses back in 1960 that I'd want to be using now. Also having had a very serious clear out of all the basses that I've bought over the last 15 years and don't really use, I'm actually very happy with the few that that I've kept

So...

Either get Warwick to make me a custom shop version of my MiK Starbass with the few little niggles I don't like about mine sorted out - mainly doing something about the horrible paddle-shaped headstock so it is more in keeping with the rest of the design of the bass, and then having it finished in sparkle flames.

Or...

Another Gus G3 exactly the same as my black one, but with a few more pickup switching options, and a more flamboyant finish.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456184073' post='2986474']

Good call. One of my options is a YOB '66 Jazz. I just haven't found the right one yet.
[/quote]

I would hold out for the right year-of-birth Jazz, it would definitely be a keeper, and very appropriate for such an important birthday present.

I was born in 78, and I've always got my eye out for a YOB Stingray, I think it would be the only bass from 78 that might be worth having, or be significant.

Happy Birthday by the way.

Edited by EmmettC

Happy birthday

I will give you my current GAS and agonisation list which may provide some additional ideas!!

Number 1) is because I want an EBMM in that colour and the Bongo is most fitting - I already have a 5 but a 4 would be awesome for playability in my mind - number 2) came about from reading about/hearing a pink refin one on Talkbass plus a mate has one on order, plus I'm a big Mark King fan - the Wal has interested me for ages in second hand form but 2) led to 3) and im a big Alan Spenner fan.

1) Bongo 4HH in chilli red - new
2) Jaydee Supernatural Classic - new build
3) Wal Mk1 new build with padauk facings
4) pre CBS Jazz, Olympic White with matching headstock and clay (Lino.....) dots - old
5) as 4) - Precision - no matching headstock - old
6) Stingray 40th Anniversary - new

Edited by drTStingray

Easy, two choices for me...

A Wal MkIII Custom series bass... Probably an olive ash top, maybe in trans blue... 4 or 5... Not fussy...

A 64 YOB Jazz Bass (or maybe a Hofner... Nah, deffo a Jazz)... For no other reason than that would be cool.

PS Happy Birthday!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456184614' post='2986483']

Very much a matter of opinion. They're not just investment pieces. :)
[/quote]

Yes indeed. Don't get me wrong I love Fenders, I like how they sound, I like how they look. They have a sense of romance and mojo. Get a good one and it can be the only bass you need. Not to mention they can be good investments etc etc

When it comes down to it though they are mass produced, they tend to look the same etc. They have some compromises and the qc can be hit and miss. There versatile but always in a very fender way.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1456184980' post='2986487']
That's a difficult one. I'm not really bothered about having a YoB bass and besides no-one was making basses back in 1960 that I'd want to be using now. Also having had a very serious clear out of all the basses that I've bought over the last 15 years and don't really use, I'm actually very happy with the few that that I've kept

So...

Either get Warwick to make me a custom shop version of my MiK Starbass with the few little niggles I don't like about mine sorted out - mainly doing something about the horrible paddle-shaped headstock so it is more in keeping with the rest of the design of the bass, and then having it finished in sparkle flames.

Or...

Another Gus G3 exactly the same as my black one, but with a few more pickup switching options, and a more flamboyant finish.
[/quote]
Having read many of your 11k plus posts, I absolutely value your opinion and I think you may be right in that a complete custom spec instrument may be the only answer.
However, there are many other temptations!

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1456184998' post='2986488']
I would hold out for the right year-of-birth Jazz, it would definitely be a keeper, and very appropriate for such an important birthday present.

I was born in 78, and I've always got my eye out for a YOB Stingray, I think it would be the only bass from 78 that might be worth having, or be significant.

Happy Birthday by the way.
[/quote]
Thank you EmmettC

You may be right.

This....

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=786

.... I would have bought in an instant, but I was too late to the party yet again!

'78 was my first year in secondary school and was a hideous time apart from my first Led Zeppelin experience.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456186420' post='2986509']
...a complete custom spec instrument may be the only answer.
[/quote]

You may be right, but care is needed... if you spec a custom instrument and it turns out to be not what you were expecting or you just plain don't like it, it's very disappointing. With the added disadvantage that as it's built to specific parameters, it may be difficult to move on. Not that I want to put you off or anything... :D

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1456185102' post='2986489']
Happy birthday

I will give you my current GAS and agonisation list which may provide some additional ideas!!

Number 1) is because I want an EBMM in that colour and the Bongo is most fitting - I already have a 5 but a 4 would be awesome for playability in my mind - number 2) came about from reading about/hearing a pink refin one on Talkbass plus a mate has one on order, plus I'm a big Mark King fan - the Wal has interested me for ages in second hand form but 2) led to 3) and im a big Alan Spenner fan.

1) Bongo 4HH in chilli red - new
2) Jaydee Supernatural Classic - new build
3) Wal Mk1 new build with padauk facings
4) pre CBS Jazz, Olympic White with matching headstock and clay (Lino.....) dots - old
5) as 4) - Precision - no matching headstock - old
6) Stingray 40th Anniversary - new
[/quote]
Thank you Dr.T.

My you have expensive taste ;-)

Has the 40th been announced? Or is that the Smoothie? (which is one of my options).
I would like to have a Bongo. I tried one at the LBS a few years ago and thought it was brilliant.
As much as I think the Jaydee looks and sounds gorgeous, I know I just can't cope with the shape.
Wal Mk1 - Bucket List (plus a long wait)
I do love a MHS. That Sea Foam Green is driving me nuts!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1456186939' post='2986518']
You may be right, but care is needed... if you spec a custom instrument and it turns out to be not what you were expecting or you just plain don't like it, it's very disappointing. With the added disadvantage that as it's built to specific parameters, it may be difficult to move on. Not that I want to put you off or anything... :D
[/quote]
Again, absolutely on the money. There would be a very short list of luthiers that I would entrust to such a venture. The upside is that I'm not that demanding in terms of spec.
I'm used to and quite comfortable in playing J's and Ray's in the main.