Why become a member? ×

Have you found 'that' drummer?

Subbeh

We give them a fair but of stick(!) but how good is it when you find the right drummer?
The one that makes playing seem effortless, the one that always seems to know
what you're thinking almost before you do. You feel like your a better musician when
you're playing alongside them.

Played with a good number of them over the years and every now and then I get to play with a guy
who I've known on and off since I was a kid and wow, doesn't matter how long it's been we always
fall into a really easy understanding. It's not something I've found in any other drummer and
I've really tried to play with as many as possible.

It's just so damn good when you find your perfect drummer!

Oh my word isn't it! There's something, whatever it is - call it X Factor or some deep psychological theory over what bonds musicians together in unspoken communication - but when you find them, as you say, it is so damn good!

I think I`ve been lucky in that since 2009 I`ve only played with real quality drummers. What we currently do isn`t exactly rocket-salad, but I don`t think many would be able to do what ours does at the pace and intensity for long. And in my last band, The Tuesday Club, well Terry (now sadly deceased) was probably the best all-round drummer I`ve ever been in a band with. For me, a drummer shows how good they are when their playing makes the band sound crisp, and he had that nailed.

One guy I play with is the full fat real deal, just astonishing, but it hurts so bad not being able to make music with him frequently. He makes everyone sound better, in my case better than I really am! Good drummer= bass nicotine, very addictive.

I occasionally get to play with a fab drummist. One of those guys who listens to what's going on,
and complements things rather than dominates them. And plays that fractionally behind the beat
feel which I love, but without slowing down. And, crucially, doesn't hit the snare and
cymbals so hard which with other drummers means I have to wear earplugs.
A rare thing in my experience.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1451941578' post='2944926']
Good drummer= bass nicotine, very addictive.
[/quote]

It really is, I've got a couple of things on the go but playing with someone like that has really
got me thinking about where my time is best spent because afterward nothing else seems
nearly as much fun!

I played alongside a drummer for 18 months up until a couple of years ago. He would be the first to arrive and would have everything set up before anybody else. He had bass drum, snare and two toms, hihat and 2 cymbals. He was always the first to have packed up at the end. He played in such an understated way. All other drummers I've played with were too busy in comparison. Playing with Mick, there always felt like there was plenty of room and simplicity within the sonic space. A real case of less is more.

I've just started a band and we needed a drummer. I hadn't seen Mick for over two years. He plays in 4 other bands and has his own business building bespoke drum kits. He helped us out for a few sessions just to see if the band was a goer, but just couldn't commit to another project. A real friend - quiet, stripped-down, un-showy player who helps everybody around him lugging their equipment.

Had one guy for nearly two years.

Just astonishing.... best musician around..by some way, IMO>
He has all the chops, all the feel, musical and the whole audience just gets him.

Of course he overplays as that is what is expected of him at times and he plays up to it
but then I also know what level he has played at and technically he probably still has it
so he really can do it all.
Great great fun when on fire and he is the drummer I always wanted to find..

My first instrument was drums .... i was ten when i was introduced to my fathers drummer (jazz band ...old man played trumpet)
I think his name was Hugh Ferguson (i know it was Hugh) he was the teacher for the Scottish Police Pipe band back in the 70s...fantastic guy and brilliant drummer... i progressed very quickly with his teachings ..also remember hours and hours of practice but it was never a chore ..i loved it

Long story short ... i got a phone call 20 years ago ...ooft asking if i was still playing drums .. i hadnt played for a number of years
this guy got my number from a friend of a friend
turns out hes playing cruise ships ..the money is good and conditions are top notch and would i be interested... he tells me the current drummer is leaving the band in three months time giving me three months to quit my job and get some serious practice
up until recently i have regretted not going for it ...but my heart was nt in drumming i wanted to make music.. not rat a tat man ..

i met a friend a few years ago who told me what happened to this out fit
most of the cruises were landing in the Caribbean....where the coke was as common as alcohol ...
they all got a taste for coke ...sleeping all day playing cruise ship standards at night and getting nutted all night long chatting up the rich totty
one thing led to another and in order to bring themselves down they were dabbling in H which would allow them some sleep ..
the poor guy who called me is now a skeletor look a like.. ducking and diving trying to get his next fix
Rock n Roll ...ooooooooooft

if anyone is looking for me to drum for their band the answer is still no and next time your on a Caribbean Cruise go check out the band see if they same sane to you ...if not you ll know the reason

Since 2009 I've had the privilege of playing with Chris in 3 different bands - he's my partner in rhythm. Also a couple of years playing with Luke - a terrific drummer with a real (and seemingly rare) ability to play softly. A couple of one-offs which worked great with Ben and Neil. Played for the first time ever with David in a total one-off (no rehearsals or anything) on Saturday and it was also great (seen him play many times, dunno if that helps?).

Bottom line is that I've been very lucky in that every drummer I've ever played with has been great!

My main band don't have a full time drummer. Instead we use a number of drummers picked from a list. How good the band plays, is usually the direct result of how good that nights drummer is. It constantly amazes me, how a excellent drummer can make such a huge difference to the quality of a bands performance.

Like the old saying goes, 'Yer only as good as yer drummer'.

you can have Jaco on bass
Pete Townshend , Buddy Guy , BB king , Chet Atkins , on guitar
if the drummer cant make it his own ... you got sh*t
a sloppy drummer is chicken nuggets .. look at me i can bang the sh*t out of it ..... sh*t and bang are the key words
a good drummer is worth his weight in Diamonds .... no questions

Played briefly in a band with a great drummer when I was at school - he went on to make a living in session work, and then opened a drum shop I believe. Since then I played with some good guys, but no one that could touch that spotty 15 year old guy. Such a shame I wasn't good enough to really appreciate it back then.

Yeh I've played with a couple, then took it up myself.

Around here there seem to be a lot of drummers who are great at one particular genre. Some of the guys playing technical metal are just incredible to watch, but for whatever reason I doubt they'd get reggae or funk - could be my own weird prejudices.

I'm lucky enough to play with a few deps, three of whom are all very very good in their different ways. Interesting how they bring out different aspects of my playing, too. We've discussed this on long van trips, and they've all said they play slightly differently with different band members, especially bassists. It appears to be a two-way street: that chemistry thing...

The downside of deps is sometimes there's a right duffer turns up - not often nowadays, and they're not as awful as some of the guys I've played with back in the day, but I think they seem worse by comparison...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1451940516' post='2944906']
Oh my word isn't it! There's something, whatever it is - call it X Factor or some deep psychological theory over what bonds musicians together in unspoken communication - but when you find them, as you say, it is so damn good!
[/quote]

Pretty sure I jammed with one of your old drummers a few years back - hadn't been back playing bass for long then, but boy that was special. So much control, so much feel. Never come across anyone else close to that.

I regularly play with three drummers at present and they're all good but we don't seem to have that telepathic relationship where everything is just perfect.

I've only found that once and unfortunately, he was the most uncommitted band member I've ever come across. Fabulous to play with (three different bands) but he'd always bail out after a couple of gigs.

Not even sure if he plays at all these days. Very frustrating.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1451993805' post='2945247']
Pretty sure I jammed with one of your old drummers a few years back - hadn't been back playing bass for long then, but boy that was special. So much control, so much feel. Never come across anyone else close to that.
[/quote]

Oh wow! Coooool! I taught them well heh he he!!!! :)

Speaking of keeping good time and control, a very good friend of mine, a session drummer & clinician based in L.A and I managed to jam over Skype. It was just for fun, playing around some classic grooves. When Skype stopped freaking out and restored our connection we found that we'd managed to stay playing in time - across five and a half thousand miles!