Why become a member? ×

Check this odd as hell email!

Prime_BASS

So I got an email from from some guy in the states asking I wanted to be in there band all expenses paid for. Now I'm not one to usually bite at stuff but I checked out his bands website and they are a real band so I replied asking for more details.
He then sent me this ::

Hi Stephen. Good to see you. We went to Manhattan New York City. We met with four different record label presidents. They told us we needed to lose our bass player because of his image. I will bass player had three months to lose the weight and he actually gained weight. So he understood the drill. We then went to Chicago to record our next album. We are working with an A&R guy works for all of the labels. The record labels are Century media records, another century records, napalm records, nuclear blast records and The gentleman who made Nickleback from Roadrunner records, which has now been absorbed, he has joined century media. We also work exclusively with The vice President of live nation New England Bob Duteau and his boss Don law. Don law is the man that is responsible for the rock 'n roll seen as it is today since the 60s. Any band that came out of Boston since the 60s from Godsmack to Aerosmith to J guiles to stained all went through Don law. We work with the biggest booking agencies in the world such as the agency group, TKO. As you can see we've played with some of the biggest bands in the world all through live nation which is the biggest entertainment company in the world. We also have an investor. So this is a very unique opportunity and the timing is right. I cannot promise you that you will be a rockstar however we are not religious but spiritual. I see what I call my spiritual advisor and have been seeing her for years and everything she has told me he has come true. For instance before I ever even left New England I've never been anywhere else and I have a piece of paper that she wrote down that we would be going to California Chicago New York Canada Florida Europe and wouldn't you know we went to everyone of those places. She told me that we were to play a huge benefit concert that only the elite get on and the only way to get on this concert was to go to this particular woman she even told me when. Sure enough it happened and we played the rise above festival with Seether hell yeah avenged sevenfold and yes the only way on that stage was through see there's manager which was a female. The list goes on as to all the things that she has told me which have come true and the rest of the story what she says is we will not only when the Grammys but sweep the Grammys best new band best new album Best new song and since then I have become a voting member of the Grammys. If you came here you would be paid for shows live for free eat for free have transportation so you would not have any bills. Right now the pay is US$100 per show. Some shows we don't get paid but they're very high-profile concerts but most shows are paid. Ironically my spiritual advisor told me last week that she sees somebody from Europe being the bass player and ironically I came across a site when searching for bass players which was all European bass players I have videos of all of my sessions with my spiritual advisor so really it will be a movie because it's real. And I have the proof. Once this album is done the A&R person will walk it in to the labels and get the best deal he can then it will be smooth sailing. i'm not sure about the length of time your visa it will allow you to stay in the US that something you would have to check out yourself. But we will pay for your travel here. There are a lot of variables it just depends on whether or not you'd like to take the bull by the horns. To me you have nothing to lose and everything to gain and we are very down-to-earth people not snobs you don't look down on anybody. This week for instance we have a concert with the singer from ratt, then BuckCherry, done with Tantric. We are playing motorcycle week in Laconia New Hampshire where it's the largest bike week in the world and 90 years. We have direct support for all the national bands that are coming in. We have toward USA Canada and Europe and Eve our singer is simply Universal and everyone male female child grandmother all love her. I hope this helps and please call me if you're interested at 603-765-8500. Please keep in mind that time is of the essence and you were the only bass player that I contacted from that site. There was something about you that was intriguing. Peace and have a great day.

Sent from my iPhone

Lots of things put me off but I want to hear some other people's opinions.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1433139730' post='2788094']
This sounds about an email away from asking for your passport number and bank details.
[/quote]

Beat me to it.

I wouldn't be travelling to the next town to audition for this one. :D

This has been written by someone who doesn't speak English as a first language IMHO, which doesn't in itself make it bogus, but it certainly makes it very fishy if it purports to come from someone who is an American. I'm not talking about the spelling, but rather the oddness of the punctuation, the capitalisation of some band names and not others, and the fact that Seether, at one point becomes 'see there's'. To me it reads like the instructions for a Chinese product which has been badly translated, and all the names dropped are all in the public domain. The video of the meeting with the 'Spiritual Adviser' could be easily created on a phone, using a couple of starving actors, who have been told they are auditioning, and ditto the band website.

My reaction Is that it's a scam, and as has been said, they will probably ask you for your passport details - or a scan of it, and your bank details, on the basis they need to send you the air ticket and some out of pocket expenses. All scams rely on preying on the desires of the mark, which for most people is about winning a lottery, or a unique investment, but with musos, it's about being signed, famous and rich. Reflecting on the old saying 'if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is' - how likely is this scenario, that a band from the USA (population 300m plus), looks to 'Europe' for a member, on the say so of a spiritual adviser, can afford and is willing to fly the guy over, but needs them to sort out their own visa, and will be playing shows for $100 a go?

Personally, it might be interesting to string these guys along for a bit, just to see where the sting comes, but no question in my mind it's totally bogus, with the whif of the Nigerian Prince scam about it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scams

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1433143371' post='2788110']
What does your spiritual advisor say you should do?
[/quote]

[color=#000000]"You don't get an audience if you don't have the stars and planets in alignment." [/color]

[size=3][color=#000000]Janine, girlfriend of David St Hubbins, 1984[/color][/size]

A check of the phone number revealed this.... https://phones.radaris.com/60376585

I thought it might be one of those £500 per min scams but it seems someone does have that number. Eric Gynan, a musician.
It seems like a well researched scam, I wonder if Mr Gynan kniows?!

Perhaps one of the Americans that frequent this site could give some details about this. It would be a good opportunity if it was true, but can`t understand why they would contact you, as there must be thousands of decent bass players over there that will fit the bill.For all they know, you could be fatter than the bass player they fired.

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1433145471' post='2788128']
I don't think the grammar is that bad. I have two friends that write worse than that.
[/quote]

Surely you mean, 'I have two friends WHAT write worse than that.' ? :D

To the OP: Ignore and delete.

There's only way to find out!
[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1433144988' post='2788124']
Does seem odd.
But yeh, why not play along?
As soon as they ask for any bank details or passport details, thats when to walk away.
Or you could ask to be paid through paypal, see what they say to that! haha
[/quote]

Nothing to lose this way. Just don't give them your bank details or send them any money!

Ring the number, if it's the real Eric Gynan and he hasn't a clue who you are then you can tell him some fraudster has his number and is using it in a scam, you will be doing him a favour. If it is the guy that wrote the email (Eric Gynan or not) then you will get a much better picture of what's going on than some weird email.

Edited by KevB