Why become a member? ×

Check this odd as hell email!

Prime_BASS

This all sounds a little familiar. My day job is working on a travel website and we allow people to contact the owners of properties directly. There are a lot of scams going around at the moment that start off with a request (in our case to book a place for a large group for 2 weeks) that seems almost legit, but smacks of the odd nuances such as using "vacation" when they're trying to be English. I've been looking into these scams a fair bit and I noticed that some of them will look up the name of a real person - in one case a uni lecturer - and reference the name and job post to make it sound like a real person. So it was the reference to the real number for the real bass player that got me thinking.

They're all quite convincing sometimes although they start off less er, "spiritual" than this one!

I reckon there's an organised group doing the rounds of all sorts of scams. They've changed their tactics a few times once we worked out what they were up to. I'd dare say they're not restricting themselves to the travel industry.

Did they include any links in their email to you? One of the tactics is for them to email the owner of a property with a link to some details. This link actually goes to a page that matches the login page for their email account with a message saying that you've been logged out. So you then of course proceed to log in and you give them your email account details. Then, they'll set up a redirection rule to catch any emails about bookings and forward them to their own email address and deleting the original. This does two things. 1: gives them access to all enquiries so they can get potential guests to transfer deposits to them and 2: doesn't alert the owner of the property as the owner can still log into their email ok.

So, thinking about this a bit more, that bizarre opening email is likely to make you click on a link and that made me think of that most recent scam. If you did click on a link and saw a logout page for your email, then check your email filters and change your password.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1433178083' post='2788615']
I would have been much more likely to allow myself to become deluded for, say, $1500 a gig. ;)
[/quote]

For a legit touring act (500- 2,000 seats) with a catalog of hits $1,500.00 a week would be acceptable for bass guitarist/ sideman.

Blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1433187564' post='2788753']
No, it was $100 for some shows, the rest they do for free!
[/quote]

Ah, maybe we're reading too much into this. It's just a blatant request for someone to work for board and lodging!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1433185018' post='2788711']
This all sounds a little familiar. My day job is working on a travel website and we allow people to contact the owners of properties directly. There are a lot of scams going around at the moment that start off with a request (in our case to book a place for a large group for 2 weeks) that seems almost legit, but smacks of the odd nuances such as using "vacation" when they're trying to be English. I've been looking into these scams a fair bit and I noticed that some of them will look up the name of a real person - in one case a uni lecturer - and reference the name and job post to make it sound like a real person. So it was the reference to the real number for the real bass player that got me thinking.

They're all quite convincing sometimes although they start off less er, "spiritual" than this one!

I reckon there's an organised group doing the rounds of all sorts of scams. They've changed their tactics a few times once we worked out what they were up to. I'd dare say they're not restricting themselves to the travel industry.

Did they include any links in their email to you? [i]One of the tactics is for them to email the owner of a property with a link to some details. This link actually goes to a page that matches the login page for their email account with a message saying that you've been logged out. So you then of course proceed to log in and you give them your email account details. Then, they'll set up a redirection rule to catch any emails about bookings and forward them to their own email address and deleting the original. This does two things. 1: gives them access to all enquiries so they can get potential guests to transfer deposits to them and 2: doesn't alert the owner of the property as the owner can still log into their email ok.[/i]

So, thinking about this a bit more, that bizarre opening email is likely to make you click on a link and that made me think of that most recent scam. If you did click on a link and saw a logout page for your email, then check your email filters and change your password.
[/quote]

I've read about this (italicised) in a few consumer advice pages. It sounds like a very real possibility in this case.

This actually reminds me I had a similar request quite a few years ago for a Wedding Booking in the States for my Band. I guess it was the same type of scam where they wanted my login/bank details. I seem to recall they were offering flights out there and $500. I asked them why they did not go for a more local Band but heard nothing back...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1433198997' post='2788929']
This actually reminds me I had a similar request quite a few years ago for a Wedding Booking in the States for my Band. I guess it was the same type of scam where they wanted my login/bank details. I seem to recall they were offering flights out there and $500. I asked them why they did not go for a more local Band but heard nothing back...
[/quote]

I read some stuff about photographers getting these overseas assignments and bad stuff happening to them. Can't remember all the details but it was not good.

I looked at a couple of videos, and each seemed to have a different bass player. (Unless they are very significantly changing their image). Not all the bass players are portly, in fact I haven't seen one that isn't slimmer than the guitarist. (I'm not disagreeing with Seashell, I'd presume that the email is describing their most recent bass player who will not be the bass player in the videos I saw.) I wonder if something is going on with bass players in this band...

E.g.: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1tjv-CjwA[/media]

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1433236047' post='2789103']
I looked at a couple of videos, and each seemed to have a different bass player.

I wonder if something is going on with bass players in this band...

E.g.: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH1tjv-CjwA[/media]
[/quote]

Like Spinal Tap and drummers?

Right haven't got time to read all the responses but here is his next email he sent me.

This guy is bat sh*t cray cray, but I believe genuine. I might try learning the songs but I don't have a passport.

His reply!Cool man, ya lot of info there that I sent, but I wanted to give as much details as possible in order for you to make a decision.. if you go to http://www.leavingeden.com/
on the front page there is a "play music" Soundcloud link scrolling down just beneath the first pics you see.1/4 way down. Please shoot a vid of you playing one or 2 of our songs, that's all I need. Please let me see that and next step will be to maybe to a facetime conversation or skype so we can discuss getting you here. as I said, we will pay travel so we have to go over logistics. sound good? any questions? peace!!!